EGDM and Hotcake...using together, which would you put first and why?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Young Angus, Mar 25, 2013.

1. Young Angus

Young Angus Member

I just completed my little touring Nano board and it's a beauty!!

[​IMG]

I've settled on the Hotcake and the EGDM (wow on both counts!!) and currently I have them in the order shown. Typically I want to use one for my main amp dirt sound and the next as a solo boost...usually I use an Ulbrick Megalodon as a solo boost and it's fantastic, but since I only have a small board and I wanted as much versatility (and fun) as I could squeeze into it I went with these two pedals all from excellent recommendations from knowledgeable fellow forum members...seriously you guys ROCK!

Anyway, just wondering if anyone has experience on good ways to run these two dirt pedals together, if the Hotcake will work well as a relatively clean LOUD solo boost or if the other one will do a better job, just any advice really.

It'll be running into a Vox AC30 (modern reissue I think) and this is the kind of music we play:

www.mydynamite.net

I'm looking forward to playing this board for the first time tonight at rehearsal, should be lots of fun!

2. jm9239

jm9239 Member

not sure about the hot cake but i'm personally loving my TS9 running into my EGDM.

3. modernp

modernp Member

Do what ever sounds best to your ears not much work swapping out 2 pedals.

4. mild

mild Member

I would run the Hotcake first dude. Generally the "correct" way to do gain staging is least to most gain - that way you are simply distorting the clean signal more as you add more pedal action. Say you keep the Hotcake as a standard "edge of breakup" sound (pretty common use, put the gain right down and the volume a fair way up until the amp starts driving) - you would then want the EGDM to take that signal and mangle it for max destruction.

However, it could be just as cool the other way around - by keeping the Hotcake as the primary sound, you then feed the EGDM into it - what will happen is that the Hotcake will compress the incoming signal, so you you'll have to work harder to get a volume lift out of it (this is the main reason to gain stage least -> most, but breaking rules is fun too) - but this keeps the over-all character as "Hotcake" which is cool if you're trying for that mid-heavy sound (or whatever your main sound is - lots of great pedals for this eg Klon, Treble Boosters set low, etc). You can replace the pedals with anything else gainy and the rules hold true. Hope that helps.

5. sanhozay

sanhozay klon free since 2009 Silver Supporting Member

i run it, exactly like you have pictured. the hotcake can take some of the thickness off the egdm, and boost it. but i rarely stack, i just love both those pedals!

6. MBT74

MBT74 Member

I'm not a fan of the Hotcake at it's higher gain level but love it set below noon. So I've generally used it first in the stack as that "transparent" OD and then added the EGDM afterwards.

7. Young Angus

Young Angus Member

Yeah I really love both these pedals too, I'd say they're my new best friends and after limited use I think the order I have pictured should work well enough, both jack ports and power inputs are in the same spots though so if I need to change them it's easy without messing up my board.

8. Godspeed64

Godspeed64 Member

You got these two pedals in front of you. Nothing better than trying both options out and see which configuration you like the most mate.

9. Young Angus

Young Angus Member

Well I got to try them last night with my Komet at rehearsal and wow, the EGDM sounds incredible and thick and really just like I'd want an amp so sound, & at non'deafening volumes too. The Hotcake worked well as a solo boost too, I had it set with its volume right up and the drive right down and presence around half and it seemed to work nicely, not as much volume boost as something like a Megalodon or other dedicated solo boost but it worked really well and brought me out of the mix nicely.

The EGDM was fantastic, it's not leaving my board from now on, thick like Guiness it was and much much tastier!

Overall I think they'll work really well with the Vox or any other amp for that matter. Very impressed!

10. Don Rusk

Don Rusk BearFoot FX Owner

glad the EGDM is finding some happy homes !

I havent tried this pairing myself yet ..... but something to consider in order and stacking......

The Hotcake is buffered ....

The EGDM is partially germanium so its possible there could be a change by having the HC buffer first ....

you would notice this mostly as a change in dynamic response pick/volume control sensitivity ... and maybe a change in treble presence.......

actually I would be interested in hearing if you hear any difference in those areas by switching the order if you have time.

I know the Baby Pink Boosters buffer and boost sound really tasty after the EGDM too - good pairings.

11. R_S_G_7

R_S_G_7 Member

^ never considered that... i've been running my HC first into my EGDM. i'll have to try it the other way around and see if i notice a difference.

12. Young Angus

Young Angus Member

The EGDM really is a winner! I have been using it now and it sounds terrific, haven't really had a need to use the Hotcake much but as a boost it seems to work nicely, although I don't think it has enough actual volume to give it a good real volume boost after the EGDM which is what I want from it if I'm using the EGDM. Extremely versatile pedal and sounds amazing with my Komet 60, and just about any guitar I've thrown into it so far.

Would have liked to try the Baby Pink Booster or even a little Analogman one...will have to give one of them a go.