EGDM Question

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by CALI68, Jun 18, 2008.

1. CALI68

CALI68 Member

Hi, where do you guys set your internal trimmer? The manual says "set it and forget it" so where's the sweet spot IYO?

-Chris

2. mild

mild Member

Well that's a matter of personal taste, there's no hard and fast rule.

Set you treble knob on the EGDM to full. Now adjust the trimmer so it has slightly more treble than you ever think you'll use (or maybe just find the max treble that you think you'd use) and call it "done".

3. guitarcrazy2004

guitarcrazy2004 Member

What Jono said..........:AOK

4. CALI68

CALI68 Member

Perfect. Thanks!

-Chris

5. Powderfinger

Powderfinger Gold Supporting Member

Treble all the way up for me.

6. I'm Incinerator

I'm Incinerator Supporting Member

it really depends on the amp and your tastes. I have mine set to have a more Brian May or Mike Campbell tone with enough bite to cut the mix. I don't think I touched the internal trimmer of the other two I had.

7. Don Rusk

Don Rusk Biggus Bearfootus Vendor

right , it was put there to make the EGDM usable on Fender/brighter american voiced amps

so t he darkest setting is for those running it into Fenders, bring it up to whats appropriate for the amp you use...........:AOK

8. drolling

drolling Member

I thought mine sounded a bit dark when I first received it - probably because I was expecting it to be as bright as my old AC-15 more than anything else.

So I started fiddling w/that trimmer, and over the course of 6 months ended up putting it right back where Bjorn had set it himself:jo

I've found that all the BJFs I've collected have this round, warm quality - even the comp & compressor..

BTW, do you have a HoneyBee yet? Stackin the Bee with the EGDM yeilds one of the nicest & most natural amplike distortion around:dude

9. CALI68

CALI68 Member

Great! Just what I need! ....to spend more money on pedals. I'm gonna need a 4X8 piece of plywood as a pedal board one of these days. :)

It was way to muffled for my rig out of the box I have it around 1/2 way and it sound pretty damn incredible now. What really surprised me is how sweet it sounds as a boost with just a touch of distortion.

I think I'll do a clip of the various ranges of this pedal.

-Chris

Last edited: Jun 18, 2008
  10. Rock72

Rock72 Member

The EGDM is incredible. One of may favorites. Both the HB and the DRD were great, but are now gone from my board. The EGDM stays. Haven't even looked at the internal trimmer. Maybe I should give it a go??

11. goldie-gold

goldie-gold Member

Same here. It really did sound best how the man himself had set it. I use a BiValve with 6L6s. It has a pretty even sound really. I would not call it especially bright or dark.

Treble Boost->EGDM->amp is very nice.

12. CALI68

CALI68 Member

Hmmm that sounds very interesting.

On the clip I did, I paired it with a Chicago Iron Octavian and the results were incredible!

-Chris

13. Ed Reed

Ed Reed Senior Member

This is nice to know I have a HB and a EGDM on the way. Hope it shows up soon.

14. kenoflife

kenoflife Supporting Member

Has anyone else been comparing a Zendrive to an EGDM thru a Honeybee?

I'm going back and forth - the EGDM by itself is pretty dry with some inherent compression- much nicer into the HBOD for lead playing.

My ZD2 has its own complexity - not quite as 'natural' in maintaining the purity of the amp as the BJF pedals. - the EGDM has more 'color' but not quite the soloing potential on its own- and I have to fiddle with it to kind of get there with other pedals....

Both respond well to treble boosters

Can anyone share favorite settings with the HBOD and EGDM for solo low/medium gain lead (blues, harmonics, double-stops)? something rivaling the ZD (or even an Eternity or TS-type pedal)?

15. SunnyRollins

SunnyRollins Member

16. SunnyRollins

SunnyRollins Member