Egnater amps. Still a thing?

SciFlyer

Gold Supporting Member
No real experience with any of his mass produced amps. I do, however, own a BoutiKit 50 watt amp that I built at a seminar back in 2016 and it’s awesome. Just a great single channel amp in the hot rodded Marshall vein.
Awesome.. Bruce's workshop is about 15 minutes from me. I attended one of his weekend amp building classes with a few other guys before the pandemic. I also built the 50 watt head. It has become my main recording amp. I've thought about using it more at rehearsal and gigs but I don't want to put wear and tear on it. Such a great sounding amp. I'm proud that I put it together (with Bruce's guidance and assistance of course!)
He is a great dude and so knowledgable. I learned a lot from him. He has lots of cool stories, too!

Gigginpig

Bruce is very much in the amp business still. I don't want to speak for him, as I consider him a close friend, but from our recent conversations he has been busy with his amp building classes, custom work (E3) and a great deal of consulting and design work with other major amp companies. Anything that comes off of his bench is still the best, IMO.

musiclab

I have a Tourmaster 4212, it had reliability issues with the transformer. That was straightened out, sometimes channel 3 can be a little kluge. After the reliability, my complaints are the weight, this combo is very close to 100lbs. And for some reason the channel master volume tapers really suck especially the 3rd and 4th channel. Those are my main complaints, for the positive, yes this amp really sounds great. People compare it to Marshalls but actually the sound is much more like a Bogner Ecstasy.The blue channel and channel 3 on the Tourmaster are very close, and the red channel and channel 4 on the Tourmaster are very close. FWIW I had a MicaTol head for a while and though I liked it, actually I thought the Tourmaster sounded better. Bruce Egnater had copped the design of the Ecstasy with his XTC module and I suspect this was the inspiration for the Tourmaster. In any case I have a 101b and the Tourmaster is just sitting in my studio, anyone wants it make me an offer, but you'd have to come pick it up.

Arf

The Tweaker 40 and 15 are still out there for sale. Still being made? not sure. Those are widely loved amps and I'm still flirting with getting a 40 head.

art_z

Silver Supporting Member
I use a Tourmaster 2x12 cab (with replaced speakers) and it is one of my favorite cabs. They really look sharp too.

Attachments

• 020BDA28-F686-4FD1-BC03-85BC845EE4B2.jpeg
    020BDA28-F686-4FD1-BC03-85BC845EE4B2.jpeg
    230 KB · Views: 7

Erikwt78

They used to be hot stuff like 10 (15ish) years ago. I have always been interested in trying them out. Are they worth it? Are they even still around? How is their customer service?
Haven't played my "half stack" unit in 10 years but still have it and brushing the dust off. Best thing to do with those amps is change out the speakers. Not the best out there but decent. Everything else about the amp/cab setup is incredible! Egnater should never be forgotten or discounted

donnievaz

I've owned a Tweaker 15, and currently own a Renegade 65 1x12, love both. The Tweaker was a fun little amp with great tones, just wish it had reverb. The Renegade is a great all around amp, very versatile. If the Renegade had the multiple selectable tone stacks like the Tweaker it would be amazing but I know you can only pack so much stuff into one amp.

Kramerguy

I bought the tweaker 40 a couple of months ago, and it's been a game-changer for me. What an amazing and powerful little amp, super portable, and it sounds great live and in rehearsal. More than enough power for most gigs outside of arena gigs.

jeffyg1385

The Rebel 30 was one of the best amps I ever had. Ridiculously versatile amp. I only sold it because a Mesa came up at a price I couldn't resist and need the extra cash.

kel1030cork

This might be off the subject but back in the day Bruce used to mod Fender amps and I picked up a twin that he modded. It got stolen couple yrs later. Then I got a Pro tube Twin and always felt it's much better amp. Still got that but don't use it much compared to my Boogie. The Engator modded Twin had Celesion 50 watt speakers and a very good sound. I did use a Butler Tube driver to actually get a sound I liked.

Barry Cuda

They used to be hot stuff like 10 (15ish) years ago. I have always been interested in trying them out. Are they worth it? Are they even still around? How is their customer service?
Never played one...BUT...I was at a gig and the opening band guitarist had one...Not sure of the model, but it sounded incredible...I was super impressed with it.

onwingsoflead

I had, and am thinking of tracking down again, a Tweaker 88. CRAZY good amp. It covered virtually everything I wanted it to do. I only sold it because I had transitioned from playing in a metal band full time to playing in a local church. It did fine for low volumes, but it was a bit like using a Ferrari around town.

toddwolfe

I had the Rebel 20 and it was very useful as when I'd fly to Europe for tours I would just need to change the fuse and power cord. The high end I thought was a little brittle but you can dial in the tone. If I had kept it I would've changed the tubes and maybe some caps to warm up the tone but again, it was great to travel with as I'd bring it on the plane and just power up over there. Just a note, I'm friends with Sonny Landreth and have opened for Sonny a number of times and he had one as well and he actually used mine on a couple of occasions and I just laughed and said "hey you've got a Dumble, what the hell you using this for?!?" I have no experience with any of their other models though.

GWWhitehead

I kinda have a love and hate relationship with their Tourmaster 4100 amp. It an excellent sounding but outright unreliable amp. Many of them suffer from quality control issues. I kinda feel sad for that amp because it's an otherwise excellent amp. When it comes to tones it out-Marshalls the JVM410H, its crunch channel is on par with JCM800, its clean channel gives the JTM45 a run for its money. If only they brush up their quality control it will sell like hot cakes.
That sounds right. I remember hearing about circuit boards and shabby parts. There is about a million of them on Reverb...not the best sign.

Oinkus

B.A.D. is building them now I think because that is who I talked to about the footswitch. Would not be concerned in anyway about anything they are building. Got great customer service for a used item. Since they have upgraded the transformers in current production would have zero concerns about a new Egnater.

ujnhunter

I don't know... I really like my Tweaker... gives me all the tones I need... and a great platform for running my pre-amps into a Marshall 4x12. ;)

Jimi Alan

Still gigging with my Mod50. The Vox and COD modules have near permanent residency. Eg3/4 and Eg5 for heavier gigs. Also have the T/D and SL and use them for recording when needed.
Use a Rebel 30 combo for smaller gigs and keep a Rebel 20 around for backup. Still have a Renegade that’s seen better days…. First catastrophic failure was literally 5 minutes before curtain. Swapped out with the Rebel 20 and got through the gig with it. Had it repaired and it recently died again. Sux because I loved the tone and feel. None of them touch the Mod 50 though. Amazing amp

Maxt

Got a rebel 20 head about 10 years ago. The tube dial is a bit if a gimmick, but is a great amp, especially for point if breakup crunch, and then outright dirt. Punches above its weight in volume tone and mojo

Top Bottom