Egnater Goldsmith & Rook Royale + Boost quesiton

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by EchoGecko, Mar 9, 2015.

1. EchoGecko

EchoGecko Member

I did a search and only came up with one post with a comparison, which basically said the Goldsmith has "more mids." I'm wondering if anyone else who has had both would concur. Does the Goldsmith sound mid-humpy like a TS?

I have a TS going into my VHT Super 30 (EL84s) and there's just too much in the mids dept for rhythm work…it's ok for leads though. The Goldsmith seems like it has enough options to tweak the mids, but the poster seemed to think the Rook Royale had more available sculpting.

I'm also wondering which pedal sounds better at higher gain settings. There are a lot f pedals that just start sounding a bit fake to me once the gain is past 1:00 or so. Which pedal has more gain?

I know the GS has patch routing, which is also intriguing to me. This brings me to my next question…what does a boost sound like in an FX loop? Let's say it's for volume only, and the drive option (if the boost has one, which the GS does) is all the way down. I ask because I run my amp slightly dirty and running any kind of volume bump into the front end will increase the amp's gain, and there are plenty of situations where I just want a little bump in volume with minimal extra gain.

2. Cgkindler

Cgkindler Member

The rook will has a little less gain, but I liked it better overall. The rool just sound, well, better.

Especially if you run the boost INtO the OD side, the saturation is AWESOME.

that said he routing feature of the GS gives you more flexibility and realistically a better "2 in 1" situation. If you want the Rook to be your boost, you've got to run it last in the chain.

I kept the rook and use it still!

3. EchoGecko

EchoGecko Member

What amp do you play into and how do you run it?

Can you comment on how the mids differ?

4. Cgkindler

Cgkindler Member

Two Rock Studio Pro 22 and usually running my BadCat cougar 15 in stereo with it.