Egnater Mod 50 question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by RP Rad, Mar 12, 2008.

1. RP Rad

RP Rad Member

I just got a mod 50 and love the amp. But I am in a cover band and use a lot of effects and I have not been able to get the effect loops to work without sucking all the tone away. I put my delay, chorus and flanger in the series loop and it gets muddy sounding, I tried the tweaking the manual said use and it did't help. I like way the pararel loop sounds but I can't turn the effects up enough to work with songs by the cure or U2. By the way I use a Boss DD3, Boss CE-2 and Boss Hi-band Flanger. Anyone have any tips?

2. donbarzini

donbarzini Member

The effects loop in the MOD50 is not designed for "pedal level effects". You need to run effects that can handle the hotter line level. The MOD50 has a great effects loop as long as you are using the correct effects with it.

3. grism

grism Member

Yup, what donbarzini said.

You need one of these or similar....EbTech line level shifter for your instrument level pedals. Another option previously stated is to use FX units that is made to accept a +4 input.

4. RP Rad

RP Rad Member

Any suggestions on what effects or units work best?

5. 3 Mile Stone

3 Mile Stone Silver Supporting Member

It's hit and miss, some work fine ... some don't. I use the Ebtech Line Shifter, works great. It's cheap, about $70, so I would go that route. Or look for a rack type line level unit that works. I also recommend kicking around the Rig Talk forum in the Egnater section. We talk about this kind of stuff all the time.

6. Orren

Orren Member

I would agree with 3 Mile's suggestion of the Line Level Shifter (I use it too with my MOD50), but I would add, depending on your effects, you may still want some kind of a booster pedal to get the level higher. I find that with a nice booster and the Level Shifter, you can make pedals work very well. It's all a matter of level and impedance matching.

Orren

7. RP Rad

RP Rad Member

Cool I will try it with my Creation Audio MK 4:23 and will order a Ebtech Line Shifter. I tried a Lexicon a MX200 with it today and it worked pretty well but If I am going to go midi and might as well order the TC Nova System.