Egnater mod 50

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by bartmcartman, Jun 8, 2006.

1. bartmcartman

bartmcartman Supporting Member

Did any of you guys who ordered the mod 50 ever get them? After the indoorstorm clips I figured someone was beating down the door for one.

2. MikeyG

MikeyG Supporting Member

Nope. I keep getting the "We're working on it as we speak". The last time I got that was 6 weeks ago.

I'm tempted to pull my order and get a H&K Switchblade.

3. bartmcartman

I was thinking about you Mike when I started the thread. I had a feeling it would be longer than they had anticipated. Have you tried the switchblade yet? I like the idea of it.

4. MikeyG

MikeyG Supporting Member

I just ordered the Switchblade, they just became available. I knew when I heard it at the LA AMP SHOW that I'd order one. $1299!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I may just cancel the Mod 50 order.

5. bartmcartman

You must have liked it. Can't wait to hear your thoughts.

6. MikeyG

MikeyG Supporting Member

I liked it, yeah. Didn't get more than a couple minutes on it, but I liked it alot. Best thing was that it sounded great at low volumes. All my amps now are LOUD LOUD LOUD, so I can't play at night, really. This should become my late night amp.

I've heard complaints that it gets lost in the mix on stage, though, from two different people. So it may not work for you ....

7. bluessyndicate

bluessyndicate Supporting Member

I played the switchblade at NAMM for about 15 minutes..I think it's a great little amp... sounded much better than the Mesa Triaxis/2:90/Intellifex rig I had set up.....and is very affordable...

I would opt for a Triamp over the Switchblade merely because I don't want to go the effect route any longer (give me a deja vibe, a wah and a transparent boost and I am done) ..but if I did...the Switchblade is a steal for the tones and what you get.

8. MikeyG

MikeyG Supporting Member

The Triamp costs more than double the SB.

There's some discussion on H-C about the SB. Apparently it only has 2 12AX7s. So that mega gain is coming from somewhere else. Doesn't really matter to me, 'cause it sounded great, and very natural. I guess it's more about the way the amp is being marketed as all tube.

9. MikeyG

MikeyG Supporting Member

Well, the Egnater is finally done. I should have it next week.

Report to follow.

10. Orren

Orren Member

Killer! I should have an M4 in the near future--same fabrication delays, etc.

BTW--this is affecting many builders, especially the tiny ones like Egnater.

Orren

11. Steve Snider

Steve Snider Silver Supporting Member

I have a new MOD 50 that I had overnighted upon hearing it was ready last week. I have four modules - bassman/SL++/MHG/Erecto and four button footswitch.

The amp is very cool IMHO. I love mine and find that it really works great and has many tones on tap.The MHG module with a Strat is unbelieveable for ripping high gain legato stuff.SL++ is very cool too and may cut better but is not as gainy. The Bassman is like two amps in one. Amazing module. Being the tweaker that I am I have replaced all the tubes in both the modules and amp. The external bias points make it so easy. I replaced all preamp tubes with either 80s Chinese or the Tungsol reissues. Have replaced the power tubes with a few different things but have Ruby EL34STRBs in right now. Will try it with my band tomorrow night and Thursday night. I am hoping I like it as much in the band as I do at home. If not, it makes an incredible bedroom amp. It will be in some good company in the band setting so we shall see how it holds up but I think it is an awesome amp.

12. MikeyG

MikeyG Supporting Member

I've heard two players say it doesn't cut in a band situation .... but I agree, I thought the low volume tones were great....

I ordered the H&K Switchblade too, and will probably only keep one or the other.... I have a feeling I know which one will be going ...

13. DucRyder

DucRyder Member

If you come across one of the original IE4 in either red face or silver face they are a great way to go as well. They are just like the module based pre-amp and have 2 fender type and 2 marshall type channels. You get a complete EQ for each channel ( low, mid, high, prescence, gain and master) plus a global master on the silver faced ones. The 2 fender sounds are a pristine clean and a Bassman type. The marshall channels are a Plexi type that can go to a JCM 800 type, and a high gain Egnater channel that is squarely in Marshall territory. Both the marshall channels clean up well from the guitar ( not pristine).

I have two red-faced IE4's and they are the only amp that can hang with the KF50 Komet in a band situation. Plus they sound fine at home levels.

14. bartmcartman

Mike, did yours land yet?

15. MikeyG

MikeyG Supporting Member

It's done now, and apparently on it's way to NC ...

16. Steve Snider

Steve Snider Silver Supporting Member

After two rehealsals with my band , the amp cut just fine. As good as anything else out there. I am in a loud 5 piece rock band with two guitars and keys and kickass drummer and it worked perfectly. Used Bassman for cleans pushed with RC booster at times and SL++ one day and MHG the next.

17. MikeyG

MikeyG Supporting Member

I think it was Matte and jharpersj that didn't like that amp in a band context ... maybe they'll chime in.

18. bartmcartman

Hey Steve, what is your favorite module so far?

19. bartmcartman

Steve, did you say your bandmate had an einstein? How did the mod 50 sound in comparison?

20. matte

matte Senior Member

didn't like the way it sat in my tracks, much preferred the mica.