Egnater Mod 50

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Wagster, Dec 27, 2009.

1. Wagster

Wagster Member

I picked up a Mod 50 head in a trade with the T/D and SL modules. There are so many tones you can coax from this amp that it's a little overwhelming. I'm starting to get a handle on the amp but I need more time to explore all the possibilities.

I'm currently using a older Rivera 2x12Q cab with a Scumback H75 30 and a Celestion GB. I worry that this might not be the best pair for this amp.

Anyone care to share their speaker, tube and amp settings preferences?

2. 3 Mile Stone

3 Mile Stone Silver Supporting Member

I use Eminence GB12's which are a Green Back type. The MOD 50 is suitable for any type speakers, but they are extremely option heavy amps. I would recommend taking it down to Guitar Center and "demo"ing it through an Egnater TM2X12. This two twelve cab is perfect for the MOD50. The Elite 80 is a Celestion Classic Lead 80 style speaker which provides a nice nuetral canvas to paint on. Next to the modular preamp section, the heart of the MOD 50 and probably one of the most important factors are the type of power tubes. Since you can bias it to any type, you have options there too.

Two questions.

Have you checked the bias yet?
    What power tubes are in it?

3. Julia343

Julia343 Member

The Mod 50 is a super amp. May I suggest Eminence Lynch Super V12s in a Randall MTS Lynch 212 cab or Avatar Contemporary?

Still it is going to take you at least 3 months to go through all the tones available in that amp.

4. Wagster

Wagster Member

Thanks for the reply. I have checked the bias.

I have the stock set of Sovtek 5881's biased at 34mA. These tubes are too bright for me.

I bought a set of GT 6L6GE's. There are a little warmer but don't have quite the headroom of the 5881's.

I had a pair of Sovtek EL34WXT's lying around. I figured I'd give them a shot. They sound sweet with a nice midrange. I'm primarily a country player so I was a little shocked that I would like EL34's with the T/D module. It made the SL module sound awesome

I'm going to pick up either a set of SED EL34's of JJ EL34L's.

5. 3 Mile Stone

3 Mile Stone Silver Supporting Member

I use Tung Sol 5881. If you play country pop a pair of JJ 6V6 in there. I bet you're gonna love that.

6. Wagster

Wagster Member

I don't think the 6V6's will be loud enough for me. I need more headroom. I might try and trade my SL module for a COD. I'm also going to send my T/D to be modded to a DLX.

7. Norjef

Norjef Member

Illi-noise - governors making license plates
    You gotta try EVs or Eminence Delta Pro 12As. With all the tones in Egnaters, a color-free speaker works the best for me; I've also swapped from Beamblockers to Mitchell donut-thangs.

Tubewise, Tung-Sol 12AX7 and JJ E34L work quite fine.

8. Wagster

Wagster Member

I'm looking for a new cab. The Egnater 2x12 looks promising. I want to pick up a COD to go with the T/D. With a killer set of 6L6's I should be in Fender heaven. I'm looking for a nice set of EL34's for the SL when I'm doing rock gigs.

9. Blueswede

Blueswede Gold Supporting Member

I have a COD module for sale- $350 if you're interested. Steve

10. Wagster

Wagster Member

I'll trade you your old SL for the COD ;)