Egnater MOD50/100 and/or Guytron GT100 F/V

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by doublestop, Feb 22, 2006.

1. doublestop

doublestop Member

Did anyone play either the

Egnater MOD50/100 (eps. the DeLuxe,Vox and Recto modules)

or the Guytron GT100 F/V ??

I'm interested in comments on the SOUND.

Also, did anyone compare them?

Thanks for all thoughts, suggestions etc.

Peter.

2. keith_t4e

keith_t4e Member

Listen to Eddie Berman's clips of the Mod 50 on the Indoor Storm web page. I played through it with the SL2 and 3/4 or something unique to Egnater. That amp is a monster. I loved it and would buy it in a minute. The cleans are phenominal.

3. doublestop

doublestop Member

You are right, those clips sound great.

Anyone play one of these amps in real life ?

4. pfrischmann

pfrischmann Member

I have but not the FV version of the guytron. It depends on what you are looking for.

The guytron is just it's own thing. The amp is worth it for channel a alone. but if you are looking to "clone" certain amps for a top 40 gig. I don't think this is what you want. It can be very finicky with pedals imho.

The egnater is every tube-aholics answer to modeling. Even the Randall version sounds damn good. but I think you lose a touch of the organic stuff as it's not all a truly integrated circuit. Funny enough, each module takes pedals like the acual amp....fuzzes sound like they should through the marshall card...ect...The vox one just flat out kills.

I guess if I had to some it up. The Egnater is really cool and very good sounding. It's versatility AND ability to be sound good while being so versatile is unmatched in anything I've heard. I don't think it will ever give you giggly, jaw dropping moments of tone like the Guytron can (especially channel A).

FWIW.

Paul

5. doublestop

doublestop Member

Thanks.

Funny, the samples give the impression that the Guytron is almost TOO smooth and that the Egnater is moer 'alive'. Seems like we'll have to hear for ourselves (as always).

I say 'we' because I'm asking this for a friend. He wants a do-it-all amp that sounds great. He sold all his rack stuff (" did it all" but did not sound great). I keep telling him that he should buy a Fender, a Vox and a Marshall (and/or more modern amps like DrZ or Bogner), and be done with it, be he keeps on looking for that swiss-armyknife-amp !

6. TNJ

TNJ Gold Supporting Member

i've owned the guytron f/v. Great amp.
    Very versatile, and can do Fender as well as Vox cleans.
    Channel B can overdrive like a Marshall or a Dumble with the focus and voicing controls. With the new Guytron 55 speakers...sweet stuff.
    Also, one of the best MV's in the biz, if that's what your friend would use.
    I know absolutely nothing about the Egnater...sorry.
    S.
    j

7. doublestop

doublestop Member

Steve, on a scale from 'raw' to 'smooth', where would you place the Guytron?

Thanks!

Peter

8. DucRyder

DucRyder Member

This is my first post, so I guess it doesn't carry much weight, BUT I have owned Bogner Fish, Mesa-Boogie, VHT, Valco, Naylor, Soldano for many years. I now own two red-faced Egnater i.e. 4 and a Naylor Super drive. All the rest were good, but not as good or versatile! the cleans And the grind are both authoritative in the Egnater products. Check Harmony Central...

9. JackD

JackD Gold Supporting Member

For 10 years, my main amp was an original (pre-Rocktron) TOL 100 combo. I then got a TOL 50 (Rocktron head) as a backup. A year a go, I sold all my Egnaters and got a Guytron GT 100 FV and also a GDS 100W. I have never tried the Bruce's modular stuff. Here's my comments:

The original TOL 100 was a very fine amp. The clean channel was great and so was channel 2 (on the A side). On the B side, I used to use channel 3 and I never used channel 4 (too much gain and saturation). Overall I really liked the amp. The only issue I had was that it sometimes got a little mushy and it tended to not cut through a band mix as much as I would have liked.

I like the Guytron a lot better. It's got a more well defined sound. Also, I just like the gain sound better. The way I set it, the Guytron does not clean up as well as the Egnater. That's because I used to set the channel 1 on the Egnater for totally clean and used channel 2 for my break up sound. I set the channel A on Guytron with some grit, which sounds fantastic. The Guytron has great versitility. I can get a great Vox, Marshall, blackface and even a Dumble sound.

After I got my Guytron and sold my Egnaters, I had a GDS 100 W made (a D*mble clone). That amp totally nails the D*mble sound. The clean is the best I've ever heard and the gain side is total Ford/Carlton.

Overall, I am now VERY happy with the Guytron and GDS amps as my main amps. The Egnaters were very nice, but in my opinion not as good as these two amps.

10. LSchefman

LSchefman Supporting Member

Like Jack, I had an original TOL50, and it was a terrific amp; actually, I underrated it, because at the time I had 5 amps, and I liked 212 cabs, the Egnater was a 112. The guy I sold it to played it when he picked it up, and cranked it a little, and it sounded amazing. Goes to show ya. I felt like an IDIOT when it left my house. LOL.

I think I was with JackD when he played with Robben Ford at a clinic, and Guy was there. Both Jack and Robben played Guytrons, if I recall...

The way the Guytrons were set up that night, I felt both amps were smooth and buttery, sophisticated amps. Perfect for fusion, jazz and blues. Maybe less so for rock?

So I'd say it depends what you're looking for. The Egnaters I've played were good rock amps, and not too shabby at the other stuff. So my conclusion is that I'd probably lean toward Bruce Egnater's amp if you're a rocker, or need lots of sounds, and go with the Guytron for the 'smoove' stuff. ;)

11. doublestop

doublestop Member

Thanks a lot ALL :dude Wow, what a bunch of experienced gear-heads you are ! :BEER

I'm asking this question for a friend of mine (Hi Edwin!) who definately is more of a rocker.

12. JackD

JackD Gold Supporting Member

Les:

Your comments are right on. And yes, when we did the clinic with Robben both the amps were Guytrons and both were set to lean more toward the D*mble sound--I think they sounded great!