Egnater Mod50 intermittent crackling/static

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by Pat Healy, Mar 12, 2008.

1. Pat Healy

Pat Healy Member

My Mod50 has begun making a crackling, static-y sound. The problem happens when the amp is warmed up, and it stops briefly when I tap the top or side of the head with moderate force. At that point the amp will be quiet for maybe 3-4 minutes, then the problem starts again. It happens whether I'm playing or not, and is present at all volume levels.

So far I've checked to make sure the tubes are seated properly, but have not done any other troubleshooting. Ideas as to what could be causing this?

2. Pat Healy

Pat Healy Member

Update to my previous post: the amp does NOT do this when I have it at home (played it for about 4 hours last night). Which leads me to believe that the problem has something to do with the venue that I'm playing in. I would imagine this could be caused by dirty power or RFI, but I'm confused about the fact that the problem stops temporarily when I tap on the amp. Would a power or RF problem behave that way?

Any help is appreciated, I am FAR from an amp tech.

3. Frank C

Frank C Member

start swaping tubes with a known good one. One at a time. Chances are its a power tube. Don't rule out pre tube

4. Telefied

Telefied Member

I had this with my MOD50 turned out to be a dying 12ax7EH in the V1 of my B'Man module. Replced it with a new tube and the problem went away

5. Pat Healy

Pat Healy Member

That's a great suggestion, thank you!

6. bruce egnater

bruce egnater Member

Hmmmm...my Egnater amp has a problem. I think maybe contacting Egnater would be a good idea?
    Just throwin' that out there.

Bruce Egnater
    248-541-9100
    info@egnater.com

7. TheAmpNerd

TheAmpNerd Member

Oh come on Bruce,

What phun is that?

We'll all miss the endless speculation
    everyone can have here on the net!

8. Pat Healy

Pat Healy Member

Yep, tried that...I left you guys a voice mail at the shop a day or two before I posted this...never heard back, so I figured why not give TGP a shot.

9. bruce egnater

bruce egnater Member

Oh my...I understand. I do apologize for us not returning your call. Jeff has been out for a few days but he usually follows up on all the calls. Please phone again so we can take care of this.

Thanks!!!

Bruce

10. Pat Healy

Pat Healy Member

No worries, I know you guys have a lot going on. I'll give a call this week.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2009