• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Egnater Mod50 owners - O/D pedal suggestions?

Pat Healy

So I know the whole "what's the best O/D pedal" topic has been done to death, but I'd like to hear specifically from Mod50 owners as to which dirt boxes you've had success with. What brought this about is that I borrowed a friend's Klon Centaur recently and, with high expectations, plugged it into my Mod50. Surprisingly, it did nothing for me...it just added an unpleasant upper-midrange honk to the tone, no matter what I did with the settings on the Klon or the amp. My buddy suggested that I try the Klon with my Fender Pro Reverb, so I did, and NOW I see what all the Klon fuss is about! Just a killer tone, couldn't get a bad sound out of the rig.

The moral of the story is that (duh) not all pedals work well with all amps. So...in your experience, what works with the Mod50? FYI, I'm using the VX and SL2 modules, and play guitars with both single coils and humbuckers.

Telefied

No need just buy more modules :) Seriously the only pedals I use are "non amp emulating stuff" like vibe, delay, pahse, wha. I do Have an RC Booster that I use to fatten up single coils from time to time but I have never found a need for a dirt box with the mod 50. If you try the B'Man and the DLX modules you will never see a need for a KLON and a Pro Reverb ever again.

Later

guitarvc

So I know the whole "what's the best O/D pedal" topic has been done to death, but I'd like to hear specifically from Mod50 owners as to which dirt boxes you've had success with. What brought this about is that I borrowed a friend's Klon Centaur recently and, with high expectations, plugged it into my Mod50. Surprisingly, it did nothing for me...it just added an unpleasant upper-midrange honk to the tone, no matter what I did with the settings on the Klon or the amp. My buddy suggested that I try the Klon with my Fender Pro Reverb, so I did, and NOW I see what all the Klon fuss is about! Just a killer tone, couldn't get a bad sound out of the rig.

The moral of the story is that (duh) not all pedals work well with all amps. So...in your experience, what works with the Mod50? FYI, I'm using the VX and SL2 modules, and play guitars with both single coils and humbuckers.
Uh, why in the world would you want to use an overdrive pedal in an amp when the amps overdrive tones are the best...especially with the SL2 module? If you want more gain, try getting the Erect or EG5 module.

I just don't get the question.

rcl

The TIM in front can add just the perfect amount of tweak. From a little fatter/hotter/solo boost to dpwnright annoying gain. A little whack to the input with a nice boost is probably all you need. The TIM is sweet with every amp I have tried as far as transparent-ness.

Pat Healy

Uh, why in the world would you want to use an overdrive pedal in an amp when the amps overdrive tones are the best...especially with the SL2 module? If you want more gain, try getting the Erect or EG5 module.

I just don't get the question.
No argument there, the Mod50 rocks as is - wouldn't have bought it otherwise. I'm not looking for a pedal to change the tone of the amp or add ridiculous gain, just add a little fatness and hair on demand. I play in three bands, all of which have different styles and some of which do covers, so I need quick access to a lot of tones. The Mod50 has 4 channels. Adding a nice transparent O/D pedal in front of it effectively gives me 8. Get it now?

The TIM in front can add just the perfect amount of tweak. From a little fatter/hotter/solo boost to dpwnright annoying gain. A little whack to the input with a nice boost is probably all you need. The TIM is sweet with every amp I have tried as far as transparent-ness.
That's perfect, and your input confirms what I've heard from a lot of other people. Sounds like I need to get on the list for a Tim!

papersoul

Silver Supporting Member
What is the TIM??????

I can understand! If you use the SL2 for example you may want a boost when playing ryhthm on SL 2 (B) when you go to kick in a solo. I understand! You still need a boost for leads.

Pat Healy

The Tim is an overdrive pedal made by a guy named Paul Cochrane. It's well known as a high quality, transparent overdrive, meaning it does not significantly color or compress your sound. It's sort of a two-channel pedal with bypass and boost switches. The Timmy is its little brother, same OD circuit but no boost mode. You'll see them on a lot of the higher-end pedalboards posted around here.

I don't think Paul has a website, but if you search on Tim, Timmy or Paul Cochrane, you'll find lots of info on the pedals as well as his contact info to get on the (presumably very long) waiting list.

LavaMan

No need...I just bought a Mod50 and if there's not enough dialable gain there for you I do not know what to tell you...

3 Mile Stone

I get what you are going for and I'll try to offer some advice. I do exactly what you trying to achieve with great success. It's not a matter of not having enough gain, as many of you have pointed out the MOD 50 has plenty, it's about having various stages of volume and gain levels and OPTIONS!

I went through a ton of pedals trying to find ones that were happy in front of the amp. The result? I use three. For big fat volume boost I use the Fulltone Fat Boost. For overdrives try out the Xotic BB and AC Booster. Great pedals and they sound like extensions of the MOD 50. Perfect match in my opinion.

Pat Healy

No need...I just bought a Mod50 and if there's not enough dialable gain there for you I do not know what to tell you...
Again...no argument there. I was using high-gain side of the VX module last night for some modern rock/nu-metal sounds and it had plenty of gain with the gain knob at about 1 o'clock! And that was the VX module, which has much less gain than my SL2! This is not about needing more gain.

It's not a matter of not having enough gain, as many of you have pointed out the MOD 50 has plenty, it's about having various stages of volume and gain levels and OPTIONS!
Exactly! Thanks for the great input. I have a BB and really like it...I'll have to try the Fat Boost and the AC.

papersoul

Silver Supporting Member
Has NOTHING to do with gain.

Follow me here.....say I am on channel A of the MHG and playing rhythm, i then switch over to channel B with higher gain and volume for lead. This works in most cases but at times I like a more midrange tone, smokier, etc. They share the same EQ so this is impossible. The right boost or Tube Screamer could help in this case. Usually the stock tone is decent enough and I just dial more mids and keep it for rhythm as well.

However, a bigger problem is if you use something like the SL2 module. Say you are jamming some AC/DC on channel A, then you guys are playing something really heavy so you are jamming heavy rhythm on channel B, where do you go for the solo? I need a way to boost at that point for the solo and maybe add some mids...maybe even compression.

Honestly, I can easily get by with the stock high gain mods like the EG5 or MHG because A and B are identical and I dial in a nuetral tone with decent mids for rhytjm and lead. The problem comes into play with the modules that have different voicing on A and B. I want B for my heavy rhythm and that leaves me nothing for leads. If you have an answer, love to hear it.

For me, I miss having various stages of volume, mid range and compression for leads. More mids and volume.

WOW, VX module last night for some modern rock/nu-metal sounds??? Cool.

I wonder if the chanel A of SL2 can do that.

Pat Healy

WOW, VX module last night for some modern rock/nu-metal sounds??? Cool.

I wonder if the chanel A of SL2 can do that.
Haven't tried it with channel A of the SL2, though channel B can get that nu-metal sound just fine. Mind you, it takes the right guitar and speaker cab to get that sound out of the VX module. I was playing my PRS Singlecut through the Mod50 and into an oversized Avatar 2x12 closed back cab, which is just a huge sounding 2x12. I'm sure a strat through an open back 1x12 would not yield the same results. :rolleyes:

I have a practice tomorrow night, I'll try it with SL2 channel A and let you know.

papersoul

Silver Supporting Member
Haven't tried it with channel A of the SL2, though channel B can get that nu-metal sound just fine. Mind you, it takes the right guitar and speaker cab to get that sound out of the VX module. I was playing my PRS Singlecut through the Mod50 and into an oversized Avatar 2x12 closed back cab, which is just a huge sounding 2x12. I'm sure a strat through an open back 1x12 would not yield the same results. :rolleyes:

I have a practice tomorrow night, I'll try it with SL2 channel A and let you know.
Thanks, that would be great! I ask because I want to be able to get hard rock and metal from channel A and use channel 2 for leads. Thanks!

I have Les Pauls and a PRS CE-22 into an Ear Candy Buzzbomb with Sugae Cone speakers. If the Vox can do it, the SL2 A must do it with the right gear.

What speakers in the Avatar? They are nice although I was checking the new Egnater cabs.

Thanks again.

RP Rad

Insted of using a OD pedal try a EQ pedal. I use one to boost my leads and it works great. By the way the mod50 is best gigging amp I have ever had. How did I live without it for so long..lol

ned911

The VX module is my fave, the B channel with gain about 2 oclock get some serious sound.

I like to use the Silver LTD on the A channel and occasionally a Maxon OD808 as well.

papersoul

Silver Supporting Member
I am thikning of an OD, EQ or Comp up front into the amp for leads...not the loop!

ned911

My other fave is a Catalinbread Super Chili Picoso. I ran it in front of the amp but it will work in the loop too. Pure signal boost, doesn't add distortion.