Egnater Question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by morr4925, Jan 31, 2012.

1. morr4925

morr4925 Member

I've been looking at Egnaters a little bit today, and looked through a few threads in TGP and got some got info... it seems that most everyone is happy with their Tweaker 15W's. I just have a simple question - is the 15W adequate for standard band practice and bar gigs? I'd run it through a Marshall 4X12 cab until possibly purchasing a smaller cabinet.

Or, for my playing needs, would it be wiser to go a little bigger with the Tweaker 40W? Thanks!

2. srb531

srb531 Member

im not familiar w/ the tweaker 15, but i have the rebel 20 its plenty loud enough for practice w/ drums ,bass & a second guitarist. i have used it on gigs also in smaller rooms up to 100 capacity or so, larger rooms i go w/ a 35 watt amp.

3. Trea

Trea Member

I think it's plenty loud depending on how much clean headroom you need.

4. forgivenman

forgivenman Supporting Member

I've got a Tweaker 40 and it sounds great at lower volumes. I'd rather have 40 watts and not not need it than 15 watts and not be able to be heard. The 40 is an all around great amp. The two channels was the deal-maker for me.

5. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

I gig with a Rebel 30, which is actually 20 watts if you only use one set of tubes. It's a very loud 20 watts. I have no trouble at all keeping up with a hard hitting drummer. I don't know if the Tweaker is that way or if this post helps, but it's all I've got.

6. Random Hero

Random Hero Member

I've gigged it in plenty of places with hard hitting drummers. Always been fine, only halfway up the master or so too. FWIW, I'm always mic'd and use EL34s for some extra headroom.

7. Git-fiddle guy

Git-fiddle guy Member

I own a Tweaker 40 combo. It would be perfect for band practice. I waited for the 40 because I wanted 2 channels. Good luck. Russ

8. MissoulaGriz

MissoulaGriz Member

Yup. The Tweaker 15 is plenty loud to keep up at rehearsals and in most live settings where you have access to a PA system. They are cranking loud amps and hold their clarity without breaking up very well.
    I just read somewhere (ToneReport article) that Neil Young's guitar tech said his Fender Deluxe amp is rated at 19 watts. That kind of puts things in perspective for me :)

Last edited: Jan 31, 2012
  9. Ramblin390

Ramblin390 Member

love mine too, I think its 22 watts on either side alone.

10. groovington

groovington Member

I agree with this. I use the Rebel 20, and even for a gig I find myself setting the wattage knob around anywhere between 15-20 watts (mic'd into a PA). Clean headroom sometimes can be an issue though. When I upgraded to a Mesa 2x12 cab it made quite a difference for more headroom.

11. midnightlaundry

midnightlaundry Member

15 watts is pretty loud if you don't use clean tones. But I'd bet you'd be happier with 2 channels and the thump of 2-6l6's. That way you could setup a clean/dirty tone and then have a screamer channel.

I really dig that you can select the tone stacks. Way cool.

12. Rhomco

Rhomco Silver Supporting Member

And I know where you can get one:p
    Rob

13. Brian Johnston

Brian Johnston Member

My Rebel 30 (into an orange cab 12-inch speaker) is extremely loud... very loud! I don't use the combo anymore (now that I have a Pritchard), but it's definitely loud enough for band practice and small gigs.

14. grunge782

grunge782 Member

Depends on how loud your drummer is. The tweaker 15 is just at that volume where its loud enough for small clubs, but can't push much louder than that.

I consider the Tweaker 15 more of a studio amp to be honest.

15. Lance

Lance Member

It also depends on what speakers are in your 4 x 12 cab. Greenbacks, maybe not. V30's definitely. It also depends a lot on your drummer, and the room. I tried to play in a typical rehearsal studio with a heavy handed drummer, and got drowned out. But, overall I think the 15W will pull it off.

16. morr4925

morr4925 Member

Thanks for the info!! I'm still on the fence of whether to with the 15 or the 40. the price difference is considerable.

17. bwires

bwires Member

And there in lies the benefit of a 30 day "trial". I have the Tweaker 15 with the Egnater 1x12 cabinet and it's plenty loud for my needs.

18. patentcad

patentcad Member

40 has more tweakability (more switches) than the 15, which influenced my choice of the 40 watt combo.

19. shooto

shooto Supporting Member

how loud is your drummer?...the Tweak is my main gig amp now, had a 15 but my drummer gets crazy at shows so I ended up with the 40 and it's fine now...mojo-wise (if that is a consideration) the 15 had a little more "something" to me...but the 40 is right in there, doing the same thing and it's louder for the band