Egnater Rebel 20 static when turned on

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by MikeMc, Apr 29, 2015.

1. MikeMc

MikeMc Member

I recently purchased an Egnater Rebel 20 from eBay, upon receiving It i plugged it in and flipped it on and was greeted by some lovely static noise. As the amp warmed up, the static fades. I am pretty inept when it comes to amp, but wanted to hear from experienced individuals on what may be causing this.

Here is a link to the youTube video that demonstrates my issue...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7k1V2yh8yY

I did go ahead and open up the back to see if any of the tubes had been loosened during shipping, I reseated them all and it still has the same issue.

I was surprised to find the EL84's are chinese made tube, and I am pretty sure that these are not stock to the amp.
    [​IMG]

Any help or recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time!

2. RiftAmps

RiftAmps Member

Sounds like a cold solder joint to me or even worse, a connection with no solder at all. Suggest taking it to a tech for a quick look over

3. MikeMc

MikeMc Member

:( That's no good. Why would it the sound fade once it is warmed up, just expanded the Solder enough due to heat?

4. donnyjaguar

donnyjaguar Member

Tube receiver pushed in on socket would cause this. Easy fix if that's what it is.

5. MikeMc

MikeMc Member

Is there a way that I can diagnose this myself, i'm not a complete electronics noob, and I am willing to try a few things on my own. I will say, beyond changing tubes and speakers I have not done too much with amps. (plenty of small microcontroller stuff in the past)

I would also hate to bring it into a tech to just have them tell me it's tubes, something I could easily do on my own :)

Thanks for the replies so far.

6. MikeMc

MikeMc Member

So, i went ahead and removed the the EL84's, switched the tube mix all the way to the 6V6 side and turned it on. Doing this cause the crackle not to happen.

So I think I can safely assume that the cause was the EL84 tubes, I am gonna go ahead and order a few to verify that that is the issue.

7. MikeMc

MikeMc Member

Following up in case anyone else runs into this issue...

Turn's out this was indeed the cheap EL84 Chinese tubes, I swapped them for some JJ EL84's and this resolved the issue immediately.