Egnater Rebel-20 worthy of editor's pick?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by G-delay, Feb 20, 2009.

1. G-delay

G-delay Member

Recent Guitar Player issue gave the editor's pick to the Egnater Rebel-20. I sold my Am Dlx Strat, Vox AC-15, Roland 77 for a Gibson ES-335 (my dream guitar). Now being temporarily ampless (well not counting a Fender Frontman25) I was considering buying a used Roland Cube 30 to get me by until I could save up for my dream amp (Marshall 1974x, or 65 London combo, or equiv G.A.S.) The economic downturn may make this longer then I first thought. But now it sounds like the Egnater might not be a bad short term solution. Any feedback on the Egnater (I had never heard of them and assumed they were some new knock-off that GC was pushing).

Thanks,

2. NortheastHick

NortheastHick Supporting Member

IT'S a fun little amp. I would use one for home and maybe low-volume recording, but it's a little toyish for serious rock gigging and doesn't have the punch and grunt of a bigger amp. But if you are just gigging country or blues it might fit the bill. Lots of threads on here about them.

3. straticus

straticus Member

I played one at the local GC a few weeks ago. I really liked it. Great amp for the money.

The 6v6 / el84 blend knob is very cool. I set it around 11 o'clock and was getting some cool Keef style tones.

4. ford

ford Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

I disagree on playing it out live... maybe not the best ROCK amp live.. but great for clean to slightly pushed rhythms... now if it is a biggish place.. micing would be needed... he runs it about three quarters of the way towards the el84 side.

the other guitarist/lead singer of my band the favorites uses one now and it sounds great.. I'm very impressed with it... now if the 30 had been out.. I might have told him to try it.. the extra headroom and channel might be worth the slightly higher price.

rock

bford

5. SeeMoore

SeeMoore Member

Had mine for months and still love it.

6. phillyred79

phillyred79 Supporting Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MggRs7vPwtk

That's my take on it... I bought one so I could try it out, live with it etc.. I think volume wise it could definitely rock out in a small venue. It is quite a punchy amp even with the 1x12.

7. G-delay

G-delay Member

Thanks guys,

Sounds like I'll have to check one out. The youtube video was good and checked out some of the other threads too. Sounds like the Egnater may be legit. Maybe I can get those Gary Moore / Bonamassa vibes at bedroom/small venue volumes.

8. Jarrett

Jarrett Member

Great little amp, definitely worthy of the acclaim its getting. Can't wait until its bigger brothers hit the scene.

9. Iceman8.6

Iceman8.6 Member

Killer sounding amp but I have found its very picky what speakers it likes.

10. G-delay

G-delay Member

What speakers does it like?

11. teletalkin

teletalkin Supporting Member

for me i just didn't care for it. i can see how it would appeal to a lot of people though

12. Blueswede

Blueswede Gold Supporting Member

Bruce Egnater makes some great amps....I have the Mod 50 1-12" combo and absolutely love it. Go to his website and check out his stuff
    www.egnater.com

13. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Member

Nicely done! It certainly likes that R9.

14. 69mojostrat

69mojostrat Member

Save your money for your marshall.

15. Mayfield

Mayfield Member

Just brought mine home today.....after a short break in period...she is really starting to shine. I love the flexibility of this amp. My primary amps have been an early 80's JCM 800 Combo and an old Fender Twin. I rarely use the Twin anymore but miss the chime factor for certain songs. The Rebel gives that back to me. I am working on my set up now....A/B type of thing and will post pics and layout when all is said and done.

I am officially a fan of the Rebel and would highly recommend it. I played around with the Tiny Terror for quite a while and the Rebel gets better tones and is much more versatile. I use a modded DD-3 in the effects loop and it is just fantastic! It runs through an Avatar 1x12 that has a Hellatone 60....great matchup. I may try it with a Greenback as well, but so far so good!

16. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Supporting Member

All the Egnater amps are very well built...The Rebel and Tourmaster [which I own and use all the time] are great great amps by one of the finest amp designers around..

17. Sean French

Sean French Supporting Member

I had a Rebel for a short time.
    I thought it was a kick ass sounding rock amp.I use 112 cabs but,took it to a friends place and ran it through a 412 with greenbacks.
    Simply killer!!!
    Was quite impressive through a 112 cab with an ASW KTS-60 speaker.
    I feel it is worthy of the editor's pick.

18. lancerontrack

lancerontrack Member

i play mine live at least 3 times a week at some pretty loud volumes. the secret set up for me was putting a broke in V30 in the Rebel cab and using a BBE Sonic Stomp made it sound like it was pushing a 4x12 cab. love mine!

Last edited: Feb 21, 2009
  19. tone slave

tone slave Member

:huh

Toyish?

I play in a LOUD rock band. Think Queens of the Stone Age. I could EASILY gig with the Rebel through a 412. It's loud as hell and has a killer rock tone. And my main amp is an Ecstacy Classic, BTW, so it's not like I'm unfamiliar with good tone or volume.

Someone asked what speakers it favors, I've had great results with Greenbacks and G12H's, and did not like it with the stock Elite 80's or V30's (but then again I don't really like anything w/V30's).

20. 6strang

6strang Silver Supporting Member

I too like the sound of a Vintage 30 nicely broke in with this amp. Looking forward to trying it with the Rebel 112 cab.

To each their own on opinions of this one. I am enjoying the tones and flexibility overall.

If you are wanting super cleans at loud volumes - wait for the Rebel 30 or look for another amp.

I am very pleased however, with the Rebel 20 head. Classic to modern rock...it's in there! Very portable and solid. Thanks Egnater!