Egnater Renegade 112 -thought on tone & quality?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by quadrogong, Mar 25, 2015.

1. quadrogong

quadrogong Member

I'm looking for something for bedroom recording at low volumes..
    i have a 100 watt JCM900 dual reverb head I'm trying to trade away, it's too powerful for what I need it for.
    I've been offered the Egnater 112 in trade
    I haven't tried it yet but the specs and reviews look interesting.

I'm looking for something heavier than my Vox AC15c1
    ..something more Marshall-like in tone, for classic rock crunch, brown sound etc

I'm bothered with the fact that it's made in China..
    I'd be trading a very clean,( and expensive) British made Marshall

I'm wondering if the trade is equal or not..

and if the quality of these Egnaters are high..
    Do u Renegade owners have any issues or complaints?
    do u think this is a fairly even swap?
    I thought the mid 90's Matshall was slightly higher priced, but the guy is delivering it.. So I wasn't going to ask for anything else.
    What do u think of these Amps?

The " tube blend" feature sounds cool,
    As does the switching fr 65 to 18 watts
    I've heard most folks don't hear any difference w these features, that they're sort of worthless features..
    I'm after somerhing with more gain & more balls than my Vox,
    But I'm not thrilled with trading this expensive head unless I'm getting something really quality..

Last edited: Mar 25, 2015
  2. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

I love Egnaters and would rather have the Renegade than the Marshall. I use a Tourmaster now, but had a Renegade in the past. Much as I love it, it's a stage amp. It'll give you the sounds you want, but for low volume bedroom recording, it's not your best choice. I'd pick a Rebel 30 for that. It'll even let you record silently if you like.

Other than a bad tube, the only issue I've had was a footswitch button that didn't work on a used amp I bought.

Tube blending is kind of cool, but the differences are way more subtle than you'd think.

The amp is still loud at 18 watts. I don't think I ever played it on 65 watts, and that was in a rock band with a loud drummer. Egnater's power reduction works, but it's not like having an attenuator built it. It just limits headroom a bit.

IMHO, the Renegade is a better amp than the Marshall, but like the Marshall, it's probably not ideal for your intended use.

3. quadrogong

quadrogong Member

The 18 watt mode doesnt really tame it, huh?
    Thanks,
    I was comparing it to my VOX AC15c1,
    which is 15 watts,, but it's half the price, so I guess it's apples and oranges

4. bbaug14

bbaug14 Supporting Member

The difference between 18W and 65W in terms of overall loudness isn't going to be night and day different. Probably less than 5dB, which is significant, but not different ends of the spectrum. What you gain is headroom and perhaps some tightness in the low end. What makes it a useful feature is dialing in the clean and dirty channels for unity volume with the right amount of headroom, which can be complicated with channel switchers.

5. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

It has good master volumes, so it'll play quietly fairly well. 18 watts is still pretty loud - well above what I would think most people would think of as bedroom levels.

6. quadrogong

quadrogong Member

I record at a decent level, during the day,while everyone is at work.
    I can strum an acoustic aggressively,and play and electric a bit louder than that, but it's good enough, unless I need feedback,and if I switch on my Wampler Pinnacle and sit right in front of the speaker, I can usually get some.

7. omahaaudio

omahaaudio Senior Member

I may be wrong but if you're talking about a straight Marshall/Egnater swap you're not doing yourself any favors. The Marshall sells (new) for $2100 and the Egnater goes (new) for $1150 so it's worth maybe $850 used. I'd think more about selling the Marshall head out right ($1200? $1500) and then start looking for the recording amp that you're looking for. I believe that you could get something more to your liking for the money that you'd get for the Marshall.

There'd be no instant gratification though, and the Egnater owner would curse you for not giving him the deal of the year so early in the year...

8. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

The Egnater's not even worth $850. They don't hold their value very well. You can find them for $700 pretty easily.

9. theroan

theroan Member

Not a fair trade but I really like the Renegade. Bassman clean with JCM800 gain. Nice reverb, sounds good at low volumes. The only issues with Egnaters is they're hit or miss with reliability and the after sale support is poor. My local shop stopped carrying them because if anything went wrong they could never get Egnater HQ to do anything about it. Even simple things like ordering an amp bag.

10. CharlyG

CharlyG Play It Forward

I love mine, but since I don't gig, it really just sits around. I put a Tonkerlite in and made it "mine".

They had a bad transformer run that took a while to get straight. Other than that, service is stellar, and for me, local.

And also, they have consolidated efforts with other mfgs under one roof. That has helped as well.

11. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

Their support has been very good to me. Even took care of a problem with a used amp that I bought that was out of warranty and had an issue.

12. theroan

theroan Member

Then it must be prejudice ...against Canadians....white middle and upper-middle class Canadians.

13. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

That's got to be it. They did tell me they're working hard to improve their customer service reputation

14. JoePeeper

JoePeeper Member

I love my Renegade. With the 18-65W switch when playing low (bedroom) volumes there is not much of a loudness change between the two but I keep it at 18W while at home. I really like the tube blend and there is a noticeable difference in its use to my ears. I keep my clean channel turned all the way over to 6L6's. On the drive channel I will usually run at about 2 o'clock so I have some 6L6 mixed in with the EL34's but sometimes I will turn it all the way over for pure EL34 bark/grind.

15. vicdeluca71

vicdeluca71 Member

Apologize for the derail. Just sent mine in for blown PT,lucky it was still under warranty. You said they fixed the issue with the transformers,what was the problem? was it just bad transformers or a design flaw in circuit?..... Besides this problem I think its a great sounding amp and also sounds great at low volume.

16. CharlyG

CharlyG Play It Forward

Since it was out of warranty, they charged me $100 for changing the PT, and they changed all 4 tube sockets as well and didn't charge me. They said they seemed loose. Maybe the first guys who serviced it (non Egnater, it wasn't mine at the time) wiggled the tubes too much?

17. Kyle B

Kyle B Supporting Member

I love my Renegade. Wish I could find another for backup.

SONICALLY it's a great deal --- Monetarily it's a HORRIBLE deal. You're trading off something worth several hundred dollars more than what you're getting in return. Have him throw in a couple hundred bucks then MAYBE

18. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Silver Supporting Member

I've owned many original Marshalls over the years and I am much happier with the tones of my Egnaters...... The Chinese amps are built well for what they are.. And what they are priced at... Love the Renegade.. Like the Tweaker 40's even more cause of the 12 switches that allow you to really dial in your tones....their speaker cabs are very good as well......

19. soundchaser59

soundchaser59 Supporting Member

Don't do it. If you simply must have the Egnater, sell the Marshall for cash and you could buy two Egnaters.

But man, I've spent months researching that reliability issue with the repeated transformer failures, and I can tell you the one single thing that made me forget about buying any Egnater is the complete lack of response I've received from Mr. Egnater himself. I can't get one single word from that guy regarding anything about the amps or the QC issues, nothing, even at the rig talk forum where he has his very own forum section.......no reply, no pm, nothing. I told him how badly I want one of his amps and how much I love the sound, I just want to know how to avoid any of the problems, and he won't lift a finger to give me any info or hints at all. To me that speaks volumes......plus the fact that every time I turn around someone else is sending theirs in for the tranny fix (see CharlyG above), even now a few years after all of that has supposedly been resolved.

For the cash you could get selling your Marshall, you could get two used Mesa or Rivera amps that will blow that Egnater outa the water blindfolded and will work reliably for years while that Egnater might be in and out of the shop. After the brick stonewall I hit trying to learn about how to spot the reliable Egnater amps, I would scream to you "Dont Do It!"

Look at it the other way......if I had the Egnater, I would be itching to trade that thing off 1 for 1 for your Marshall, what a screaming hot deal that would be for me to get rid of that Egnater amp.

Sorry guys, I loved the sound as much as anybody, I wanted to get one I really did, but it's impossible to discount that stonewall factor. There must be a reason.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2015
  20. CharlyG

CharlyG Play It Forward

My situation was that I bought a used Renegade 112 from a guy for $100. It was 2 years old and it had one of the bad transformers. Instead of sending it to Egnater, he took it to a local shop. They had heard about the bad transformers, and thought it would be better to put in a Heybauer. They had the amp for a year, and then the repair lasted about 6months. He was so frustrated, he put it on cl for $100. Having owned Renegade heads before, I hopped in the car drove a long way, and brought it home. The next day I called Egnater, and they said to bring it by. I took it there the next day, and due to a show that week, it took a week for the repair. They charged me $100 for a new Egnater PT, and then swapped out the power tube sockets for free. The amp has been working as expected ever since. I see no need to involve Bruce in a repair situation. Oh, and I got some swag as well. Those are the facts Jack.