Egnater Renegade for gigs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by van5073, Mar 2, 2012.

1. van5073

van5073 Member

Im looking for a good mid priced, flexible amp to use with a classic /alt. rock cover band. I have tried the Renegade at GC and thought it sounded good although, to me, the clean sounded a bit sterile. Just looking for some opinions from some of you that use the Renegade in a live setting. Thanks

2. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

I have a Renegade and a Rebel 30. Love them both. There's nothing sterile about either of them.

3. van5073

van5073 Member

Yeah, probably not fair to say that playing at music store levels. Do you gig with both of them? Which do you prefer between the Rebel and the Renegade? What part of Fl. are you? Im in the Pensacola area.

4. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

Close to Tampa. I gig with both. Not sure I have a clear preference. They sound very similar. If I had to choose, I'd probably pick the Renegade just because it has a gain control on the clean channel. I prefer a little dirt when you did in on the clean channel and the Renegade provides that. The Rebel stays pretty clean no matter what you do. There really isn't a big difference in tone between them though.

5. van5073

van5073 Member

Im the same way. I prefer a little gain in my clean sounds as well. Ive been using single channel Marshall's for a few years now and rolling the guitar volume back for semi cleans. Im thinking a 2 channel amp with a solo boost would be right for my current band needs. The Renegade just may fit the bill. Do you use the efx loop? Is the loop good on the Renegade?

6. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

I just put a volume pedal in the loop to control overall volume. The dual masters is another good feature on the Renegade but I use a volume pedal instead. The loop works, but to me, loops either work or they don't. I'm not sure what makes a loop good or bad.

7. Buckeyedog

Buckeyedog Supporting Member

You can easily play with the bias and swap in/out tubes with ease which makes it nice. You can get that clean better for sure. I'm rocking KT88's for my crunch channel and man it sounds great. Got some old Sylvania 6l6's for the clean. Love it with single coils.......not quite as much with buckers. Cool amp, and I love playing with tube swaps.

8. van5073

van5073 Member

Some amps I have been through had more transparent efx loops than others. For instance, I have a Marshall Vintage Modern that sounds killer until you try to use the efx loop, it kills the dynamics big time. On the other hand, the Budda SD45 I had, had the most transparent loop of any other amp Ive played. Man, I really appreciate your input on the Renegade. Im definitely going to look further into them.

9. Buckeyedog

Buckeyedog Supporting Member

You should be able to pick one of these used for a great price. Market is tough right now for sellers.

10. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

I got mine (head) for $600 from a local CL deal.

11. Iceman8.6

Iceman8.6 Member

I sold mine a couple of months ago for $625 shipped/pp'ed..it was like new...good deal for the buyer

12. van5073

van5073 Member

There's one in the emporium right now and I may have a line on a Renegade head and 212 locally . Thanks guys