Egnater renegade head and 212 cab.....your thoughts

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by N_O_VATER220, Dec 23, 2009.

1. N_O_VATER220

N_O_VATER220 Member

thinking about picking up one of these. Whats the good and the bad about these amps? are the speakers in the cab, the best ones for that amp? i usuualy like JJ's so if i get one ill probably swap out the tubes.
    any thoughts or recomendations

2. headstash

headstash Member

I just got the Rebel 30 112 combo and I'm totally taken with it. Tone for days - really an awesome amp for under a grand.

There was a good thread on the Rebel 30 a while back where Bruce Egnater commented on the tubes and why they didn't go with JJ's in them.

"The JJ ECC83S (12AX7) tubes were an absolute disaster. We had (and still are having) over a 20% failure rate!! We have switched everything to Sovtek 12AX7WA. I know, I know, they are considered anything but "high end" but.....they are the most reliable and consistent and they sound good in our amps. We've been using them in the modular amps for many years, too. Hardly ever get bad ones. I've said this before, as an amp maker, the biggest fear is that something will go wrong with a customer's amp. 90% of the time, tubes are the problem. So you finally get your new Egnater amp and two days later it breaks. Even if a tube is to blame, you don't think to yourself "it's just a tube". You get pissed that your brand new Egnater broke after only two days, it's now a piece of junk and we lose you as a customer. Every amp company does all they can to prevent that from happening but tubes are the one thing we have no control over. Our choice of Sovtek tubes is primarily for the reliability and consistency. I'm sure everyone has their own preference when it comes to the "tone" of a tube and we welcome you to experiment. We've tested hundreds of tubes and the Sovtek won every time. I still suggest you try other types, too. Find one you like and stick with it."

The whole thread is a pretty good read if you are on the fence - a bit long though at 15 pages. http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=492846

3. NyteOwl

NyteOwl Member

I picked up a Renegade head last month and there is no bad. I know nothing about Egnater cabs, but I've run the head through a British Spec 1x12 loaded with a Mesa Black Shadow and a stock DZ 2x10 cab. Sounded fantastic through both.

4. Benlevy

Benlevy Member

Can you get good low/mid gain tones out of it? I tried a Mod50 and a TourMaster. Both had usable clean and high gain sounds, but couldn't really get a decent low gain bluesy tone out of them.

BTW, I have the TourMaster 2x12 with the Elite80s and like it a lot. Use a coupon at GC and you can get a great deal. Convertable back and removable casters too.

5. ellpolo

ellpolo Member

yes the renegade rocks at the crunch/med gain. I dug the high gain of the tourmaster more.

6. headstash

headstash Member

With the MOD50, it's all about what module you use in the amp. The MOD50 is just a shell - add the type of amp you are trying to emulate. I can see not being happy with the blues tone if you are using the Mesa Recto module. Try using a mod voiced for more of a bluesey tone.

7. Buckeyedog

Buckeyedog Supporting Member

Seriously man. I mean did he try it with a COD module? Bassman? Deluxe? Just to blindly say "I couldn't get a good bluesy tone out of a Mod 50" is misleading and quite frankly kind of crappy to say without a bit more detail.

You mean these "no good" blues clips??

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=1002375

8. severinsteel

severinsteel Supporting Member

Man, I can get all sorts of bluesy mid gain tones in my Mod 50... Aand high gain, and amazing clean without changing amps. It does everything well.

9. Buckeyedog

+1000

10. Steedee

Steedee Member

Great amp with tons of tone.

11. Benlevy

Benlevy Member

Ahhh, did you get your feelings hurt? Geez. The thread is about the Renegade, not your Mod50. I spent an hour with the Vox, Bman, T/D or something like that, and SL2 modules at least. That was probably a year ago. The low gain sounds to me sounded and felt synthetic somehow. Those clips (only heard the bman, cod, vox) sound great. Playing it in person however was uninspiring for me in the mid-gain realm. I couldn't plunk down that kind of cash for just clean and scream. I probably also have a tin ear. Still a believer in the Egnater stuff and may buy a Renegade if I can get a decent demo of one at GC.

12. SgtThump

SgtThump Member

I don't really have much of an issue getting a low/mid gain bluesy tone out of just about any amp. But to answer your question, I can get that tone on the Renegade. The clean channel with the gain turned up full is a pretty cool slightly dirty tone. I wish it had just a WEE BIT more distortion like that, but it's still cool.

I have the Distortion channel setup for higher gain tones, then use the clean channel with the gain up for slightly dirty tones. I'll stomp on an HBE Plank Cranker for leads when on that channel.

13. Buckeyedog

No feelings hurt here man. You brought up the Mod 50 in this thread, not me. If you would have said the modules you tried the first time or given a little more detail (like you just did) is all I was saying. The great thing about the Eggie's is that you can swap out power tubes and bias within minutes. That does make a big difference as most take the stock 5881's out. Also most swap out V1 in the modules too.

The Renegade is a great amp. My buddy has one and it sounds great from clean to blues to rock to hard rock. If I didn't have my Mod 50, I'd get one in a heartbeat.