Egnater Tonemaster?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Mike Dresch, Feb 12, 2008.

1. Mike Dresch

Mike Dresch Silver Supporting Member

Anyone have one? Thoughts on it?

2. crwnedblasphemy

crwnedblasphemy Member

It is called the Tourmaster. Haven't played one yet...but plan on it.

3. Buckeyedog

Buckeyedog Supporting Member

4. Gasp100

Gasp100 Silver Supporting Member

Damn, that's sweet. But why don't they do an indepth with that little Rebel sitting next to it? That's the one I'm really interested in at this point.
    :RoCkIn

5. Bad Back

Bad Back Member

Only thing an old fart weekend hacker with a bad back cares about:

Head: 60 pounds

Comb: 95 pounds

NEXT!

6. Lution

Lution Member

[​IMG]

:)

7. tennisplayer

tennisplayer Senior Member

Lution, that's just uncalled for! Oh, the humanity........

8. guitarvc

guitarvc Member

I just tested an Egnater Tourmaster 4100 head and matching 4x12 cab with V/30s. I am the very proud owner of an Egnater Mod 50 and it is the best amp I have ever had. That being said, in the case of the Tourmaster the apple has fallen far from the tree. Tonally it is no better than a Marshall JVM. It is just as versatile, but at 1350 I am glad I spent the extra 700. The Mod 50 is far better tonally, and because of the removable preamp modules it is tonally more versatile.

I do like the channel by channel adjustable power feature...although I would probably never use it. The Mod 50 is more tonally complex, with better harmonic overtones. For 1350 it is an average amp, as the Marshall JVM is no better at 2100.

The Mod 50 rules, and the Tourmaster cab is about the same quality and tone as the Mesa Recto Cabs. My Stone Age 2x12C with Celestion Heritage 65's sounds better than the Tourmaster 4x12.

If you are searching for the Egnater tone your best bet is to get the Mod Series amp...overall superior in tone and versatility.

:dude

9. hilly1212

hilly1212 Member

Just so everyone understands the Tonemaster series is not based off our MOD series. We did not try to put 4 of our modules in the Tourmaster. We designed a line that was priced attractive and did a great job of providing great tone with the ability to shape that tone many different ways. I am biased but I disagree that the Tourmaster is an average amp. The more time you spend with it the more you come to find out that it can be an exceptional amp!

Agree to disagree and thats cool with us!:AOK

10. JMP2203

JMP2203 Member

IMO amps with toroid tranformers and no choke are not cool

:jo

11. hilly1212

hilly1212 Member

Why?

12. guitarvc

guitarvc Member

Hi Jeff. I hope I didn't hurt anyone's feelings over there. The team at Egnater are the best in the business as far as I'm concerned, and the Mod 50 is the best live rig in the world. I'm a bit spoiled in that my first amp was a Soldano SLO half stack, and my idea of slumming it is playing through a modded JCM 800. Yes...I'm a bit of a cork sniffer!

I can also say that your customer service is outstanding, and I have never been more happy with an amp than I am today using my Mod 50

You might be right, as I only spent about 45 minutes with the amp, and I can be pretty picky when it comes to musical instruments. When I demo's the Diezel VH4 I panned it ( sounds too processed and compressed for my taste )

Cheers

13. hilly1212

hilly1212 Member

It's all good here! We are so happy that our MOD series is it for you. As we all know, the art of agreeing to disagree is almost non existent today!
    Thanks for the customer service kudos, I have tried very hard to improve the Egnater experience and it is gratifying to hear that the changes are for the positive!

14. bigroy

bigroy Member

They had both the Head and the combo at the GC in Indy tonight, but the place was overrun with shredders and there was no way to even try and give it a listen.

I am however quite interested in the amp given the channels and power options.

As for the weight, I turn 59 Sunday, and already have conceded my age by purchasing nice two wheel cart 4 years ago..
    :BEER

15. Mike Dresch

Mike Dresch Silver Supporting Member

The Egnater designed amps I own or have owned in the past (TOL 100 and Randall RM4 - RT2/50) have been or are stellar. I really look forward to trying a Tourmaster out and if I'm lucky, a MOD series Egnater. Bruce makes top quality stuff!

16. Benlevy

Benlevy Member

I tried the Mod 50 and Tourmaster the same day. Neither was for me, but I found both to be loaded with features, and both seemed to be top notch on quality. Without knowing in advance, and without poking around inside, I would be hard pressed to tell you which one was built in the USA and which wasn't. Both did great high gain (though a bit noisy). The Vx module on the Mod 50 did great hairy cleans, the Tourmaster did pretty good cleans too. Neither amp did good low to mid gain sounds to me. Worth checking out though...

17. Buckeyedog

Buckeyedog Supporting Member

Where did you try the Mod?? Just curious as they are very sensitive to bias adjustment depending on what tubes are in there. They are so easy to bias, but it really does make a big difference. Also the Mod takes all types of power tubes........do you know what was in there by chance? Not saying it will be for you anyway, but it's just when they are dialed in it is one awesome amp.......at least for me.

18. guitarvc

guitarvc Member

The key to the Mod 50 is which preamp module to use. If you are looking for low to mid gain you might want to tery the SL module. It is voiced like a late 60's Plexi to a mid 70's JMP to my ears. The amp is very versatile in the tone dept. I tend to like higher gain overdrive tones and glassy clean clean tones...sort of an extremist I guess. I tried the SL Module and it sounded good for those looking for low to mid gain.

19. hilly1212

hilly1212 Member

JMP2203.
    The Tourmaster does have a choke. Curious what you feel is not "cool" about a toroid transformer?

20. rhp52

rhp52 Supporting Member

Hey i'm still using a modded TM75 i picked up used in the 80's! Bruce updated it in the early 20's and it kicks ass. Outstanding cleans and gets all sorts of great nasty sounds on the second channel.
    I've thought about a mod 50 but i'm not gigging so that's out, but I'm still very happy with the tones i get. And that's for all the standard guitar compliment....LP, Tele, Strat, 335. Bruce is fun to talk to as well. He's got this self -deprecating thing going on, but don't be fooled