Egnater Tourmaster Combo

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by seventn, Mar 19, 2008.

1. seventn

seventn Member

I am from Canada but on vacation in Florida and yesterday stopped by the Fort Myers guitar center... I saw the Egnater and I think it looks really good. Love the feature set etc...

Did I try it?.............. no

Afraid to fall in love and would have to buy it... Going thru customs it would be hard to hide. Plus, I'm really afraid that if it breaks no one could fix it in Canada..

I will go back and try it I think...

2. Flameout12

Flameout12 Member

Head or combo? I noticed the combo weighs 95 lbs. :crazy

BTW, MF ships to Canada.

3. B Vance

B Vance Member

I had to give them a shot as well. I got to run through the head and 4x12 cab at my local GC. The amp had a ton of features, just not my bag.

They also had the 2x12 combo there. I tried to pick it up and it brought back memories of the 2x12 Bad Cat Black Cat combo I used to have and got rid of because I was breaking my back everytime I played a gig (and it was only 92lbs). The combo Tourmaster did have wheels/casters on it if I remember correctly though.

Personally, I much prefer the Rebel. Match the Rebel with one or two of their 1x12 extension cabs...no we're talking.

4. seventn

seventn Member

yeah I was hoping the rebel would be out by mid march but didn't see any here...

The Tourmaster combo was way heavier than a twin I used to own. Fact is, I don't care about wait cause I only play in my studio but I need versatility and low watts...

5. Flameout12

Flameout12 Member

A 120 watt combo is strange unless they are expecting someone to stack that thing on top of another cabinet.
    Lots of knobs are cool, but if it's so heavy most users struggle with moving it, me thinks it will not sell well.
    Just think if the user is not a guy?

6. seventn

seventn Member

120 watt combo or 4x12 with head is the same to me... actually if I played live I'd prefer carrying once piece instead of 2....

7. Buckeyedog

Buckeyedog Supporting Member

They were tweaking the Rebel, but it has been finished up and is now in production. Don't know how long it will take, but I'd guess they start showing up here in about 2 months or so.

The Rebel is way cool. Great tone and versatility in a very small package.

8. seventn

seventn Member

Do you know the range of sounds possible with the Rebel?

9. hilly1212

hilly1212 Member

The Rebel will go from Fender Deluxe even Jazz tones to tubescreamered JCM 800. We are 2 months out on delivery.

10. hilly1212

hilly1212 Member

The combo is actually out selling the head... go figure!

11. seventn

seventn Member

well for 200.00 more you get a good cab... That's how I would go too

12. seventn

seventn Member

just came back from GC in fort myers and the combo they had the other night is already sold. So I asked to try the head but it was broken... I'm not he type to have a problem with made in china. But this is scary...

13. Axemeister

Axemeister Member

I like the way that they sound...But, both the Egnater head and combo at my local GC seemed to be suffering last time I tried to demo them. They did not sound as good as they did on my first visit, and switching was not working right on the head. I do not want to jump to conclusions, but I assume that these are a bunch of assembly line built amps with circuit board components, and I am not experienced with Chinese build quality on amps...

I know that the GC crowd can be hard on gear, but I do wonder about the quality and longevity of these units...Time will tell.

14. hilly1212

hilly1212 Member

We have been experiencing GT pre amp and power tube failures in the amps that are in the stores. The switching problem can be as easy as the switch on the back of the head was in the in between position or on the wrong setting. We have had great success with the inspections of the last 300 amps that Bruce did. We are now experiencing tube failures and we are taking a proactive approach to get new tubes to amps that have failed.

15. Jay Strange

Jay Strange Member

I;ve played the 2X12 combo and the head and 4X12. This is just my opinion, I felt both sucked:eek: I didn't like anything about those amps. Felt like there was no soul.

16. B Vance

B Vance Member

Jeff's absolutely right. Sweet little amp for sure.

17. LaXu

LaXu Member

I'm waiting for the head, hopefully next week...

I was originally going for the combo but the weight made me change my mind. My Diezel combo is only about 30 kilos and it's a bitch to haul around due to its shape (and the fact that it has only one handle).

Propably going to pair the Tourmaster head with a Matamp 2x12. Not sure what speakers to go for, I'll have to try it using the V30 in my Diezel combo first.

18. markj

markj Member

I tried out the combo and I have to say it had the best clean sound I've ever heard on any amp. The OD1 channel and OD2 channel sounded fantastic. I'm not a high gain guy so I can't really comment except to say that it would do classic rock/blues really, really well.

I also love all the bells and whistles. I think you'de need to spend some time with this amp to really get to know it.

My issues is weight. As much as I would love to get it I don't see lugging it around without it being a major undertaking. If I could find a smaller amp with that od1-2 sound I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

19. Purplexi

Purplexi Member

I tried the Tourmaster combo originally and it was pretty good for cleans and low gain stuff. I went to another GC and tried a thrashed Tourmaster half-stack that almost turned me off to the whole line. Then one day I was trying out a JVM that was not cutting it and heard from the sales guy that they did a retube on their 4100 head. It sounded fantastic! Even the high gain stuff from channel 4 was killer. With any OD pedal you could do darker metal no prob. So I would say go for a Tourmaster head and cab but be prepared to get better tubes and take the time to dial it in just right. When you add up amp/cab purchase, tubes and maybe an OD pedal, it's a really toneful and versatile set up. A lot of players won't dig the idea paying for extra stuff but trust me it's worth it.

20. H_V_C

H_V_C Member

I tried the 2x12 combo. I gotta say, I thought it sounded fantastic, epecially for the cleanish, brokenup clean stuff. I knew the higher gain stuff would sound good, and it did. BTW, I usually play vintage fenders or Boutique copies with pedals out front.

Now, the weight is an issue for me, but my REAL CONCERN is reliability. Now, it did SEEM sturdy enough, but I know nothing of it's contruction on the inside. I know these are not made by Bruce and the gang, but in china(right?) So I really have to wonder how the tourmaster would hold up on tour. I am going on tour for the summer and would seriously consider this amp if I knew it would hold up.

Maybe hily1212 would shed some light on the construction. OR maybe this question deserves it's own thread.....