Egnater Tourmaster

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Metalmike117, Feb 20, 2008.

1. Metalmike117

Metalmike117 Member

Ok.

After working and managing a music store. Playing for 17 years. I have played almost everything.

I played the Egnater tour master head and the combo. I thought they were just boring. That is my opinion. They are like a bad Mesa Road King. I have owned the Road King, so I can make that statement. I played a PRS Single cut, I believe the 245, and a CST 24 through them both on single coil and Hum. They had a crate like clean tone. The OD was like a VOX valvetronics. No dynamic. I let it warm up and it still sounded like poop.

I loved the features, 2 clean and 2 dirty, series and parallel
    fx loop. Great idea and planning bad turn out. This is my opinion. Now you might think it rocks.

Concerns, knobs are cheap feeling, the wattage switch in the back looks liks a DOD Eq rack unit from the 87' Dokken tour. The presence and density knobs are like instant ugly. Not a fan.

However the Egnater brand is bad ass. I think they tried to hard to get a boutique line into a chain store and kinda failed. Just my opinion.

2. steve_chiro

steve_chiro Member

So you really liked the amp, right? :)

3. TheGrooveking

TheGrooveking Member

An Alternate Reality in a Parallel Universe...
  4. katrina

katrina Member

Hmm. I wonder if it was biased properly. Did you happen to mess around with the wattage selector and see how much powertube saturation you could get going? Thanks.

5. trey85stang

trey85stang Member

first bad review ive heard of it.

6. crwnedblasphemy

crwnedblasphemy Member

Well....they are made in China. They probably have nowhere near the harmonic structure that the Modular series has.

7. Lucky Dog Guitars

Lucky Dog Guitars Member

Looks like something from '87 Dokken Tour?... ok I'll buy it

8. Lucky Dog Guitars

Lucky Dog Guitars Member

I gotta dig out my black & yellow striped spandex pants

9. the_Chris

the_Chris It's All Been Done Before Gold Supporting Member

Add me to the list of "unimpressed". I had the chance to put one through its paces and while it had a lot of features, it didn't have what really matters - the tone. The cleans weren't terrible for a channel switcher (they were pretty decent) and there was quite a few different tones to be had with the overdrive channels, but I couldn't help but think that there were much better tones from other multichannel amps for the same price or less (Fender Super-Sonic, Mesa Stiletto Ace to name two). The problem I had with the Egnater head (and yes, it was through their matching cabinet) was that it lacked punchiness or attitude - it was a pretty dry and boring sounding amp on every setting I tried it on. I've never tried other Egnater amps before so I can't comment on them, but from what I've gathered they're much, much better than the Tourmaster.

It's too bad the amp performed that poorly because the specs on it along with the pricetag almost makes it sound like a Godsend until you realize that yes, it is too good to be true and each channel sounds like it's coming from an amp that's budget priced.

10. Lucky Dog Guitars

Lucky Dog Guitars Member

I hear having the correct bias has a big impact on this amp.. that could be the problem with some of the bad experiences...?

11. aman74

aman74 Supporting Member

Well, yes, because the country of origin dictates tone. :(

They just build to the companies specs.

"nowhere near the harmonic structure" :rolleyes:

12. SgtThump

SgtThump Member

Are you sure you played a Tourmaster? I played one this week and:

a) The knobs weren't cheap feeling at all. As a matter-of-fact, one of the first things I noticed was just how solid they feel.

b) The power grid thingy uses sliders. That's the only thing I can see that it has in common with a DOD eq rack unit from the '80s.

[​IMG]

c) The presence and density knobs are exactly like all other knobs on the amp. Why did you single those out as being instantly ugly? Huh?

[​IMG]

Now we all know tone is subjective, but none of those comments I highlighted above make sense to me??? :cool:

13. JoshuaTSP

JoshuaTSP Senior Member

I've owned a Rocktron Vendetta for a while....all tube.....designed by Egnater....and I have to say, it took me a while to really explore it's tonal capabilities. I also swapped speakers and tubes (CL80s and 6CA7s compared to stock V30s and cheap EL34s). It has always lacked low end....so my struggle was trying to compensate. Adding an closed back extension cab helped a lot. Now, it's my favorite amp....it does everything. With a few tweaks you can go from metal to rock to jazz to clean to anything really. I've never played the Tourmaster, but I'm assuming it's similar to the Vendetta and the TOL lines.

The best parts I can see are the separate EQs for each channel, and the power grid. Awesome....pure awesome.
    Maybe I'll buy a used one eventually!

14. Metalmike117

Metalmike117 Member

I was hoping someone would like the Dokken comment.

The knobs to me felt a bit cheap, also they to me didn't have the sweep of a knob I like. Also Density and Presence like the Randalls when engaged on those amps to me as I mention instant ugly. Meaning when you move increase them they don't really drastically change anything for the better, kept them flat.

Like I said this is my opinion. maybe i was disappointed because I am on this board everyday and I am hearing the buzz about these amps. However me my buddy and 2 of my buddy's that work they were just not impressed. This might have the features and tone for someone. As the someone mentioned, for this price tag I would get rectoverb or supersonic. Just my opinion, try it yourself.

-M

15. JStizz

JStizz Member

i played this amp a couple days ago with the matching 4x12. i was pleasantly surprised at the versatility of the two "cleaner" channels. i found the Modern and Classic switches very useful, but prefered the Classic settings more because of the chime i got. i was playing a 70s Les Paul Custom, btw.

my favorite channel setting were Ch1 on Classic, Ch2 on classic, Ch3 on Classic and Ch4 on Modern. now, i play a wide variety of rock music ranging from ambient indie stuff to hardcore metal. with the right guitar this amp can do it all, and in an above average manner if you ask me.

my biggest problem with it was that i found the bottom end was very loose for the high gain settings. however, because i didnt play around with the Power Grid that may have affected my perception.

i did find the clean channels VERY lifeless and sterile when using the Modern settings, but i was thoroughly impressed with the Classic cleans. i thought Ch3 got awesome amp distortion and VERY useful in all genres i play. Ch4 would be absolutely killer if it had a tighter low end, which might be solved by using a different cab or speakers.

for a 100w, all tube, 4 channel amp, i say its worth it.

16. JoshuaTSP

JoshuaTSP Senior Member

Yep......would you say kind of AIC-ish?

With a boost, I would assume that it would clear up all flubby issues.:rolleyes:

17. JStizz

JStizz Member

AIC-ish? im not sure i know what youre saying. a boost could help though, id like to try it.

18. SgtThump

SgtThump Member

I apologize! I totally misunderstood you on the ugly knobs thing. lol... Whooooops!

19. JoshuaTSP

JoshuaTSP Senior Member

Alice in Chains heavy and loose gain?

With a RAT or SD-1 as a boost, I can get modern metal tones with my Vendetta.

20. rcl

rcl Member

Just picked it up. Head and cab(and matching sc250-at least thats the story the wife will hear). Sounds amazing. I think the cleans are more to my taste than the JVM. Lot's of sounds in this thing. The classic/modern switches remind me of my roadking. Except the roadking is painful for getting a sound out of.

Channel 1-Pretty. Lot's of variety between the contour and modern/classic options. Maxed the channel vol and used gain for level. Havent decided which mode I like the best yet, but leaning towards classic.

Channel 2-Probably will get 40% of my time for those tunes we do that need some bite without the hair. Full up pickup with full on gain sounds like a nice warm marshall, sounds like vintage Free etc. Classic mode on this channel. Sounds like they bottled up Angus and stuck him in there.

Channel 3-Probably another 30 % here for the heavier rythme work or for leads when playing rythme on channel 2. Nice. Musical. I like the classic setting here. Sounds like my normal sound from my JVM heavy, which is my favorite channel to play in the JVM.

Channel 4-Flip to Modern-sounds like my roadking. Standard scoop with contour nil'd. Not my sound, but I do like the modern setting. Modern seems to mean more gain on this amp. This is the only channel I would use that on for what I need. With contour maxed or off, very nice high gain sounds(to my taste). Not that modern isn't cool elsewhere, I just want a definite change from channel to channel. As set above, I get that. Took all of 5 minutes to dial in. Set one channel to 10 watts, but couldnt really get a good feel for that in the store. Can't get that loud until Saturday night.

Reverb sounds good. Not a huge reverb user, but I like some in the mix. Kept the density and presence set at 9 or so. I keep the similar controls at noon on my JVM, so I will mess with cabinets and settings for that Saturday as well.

No amp will fit the bill for everybody. Even if it did, the next GAS attack is only so far away. I've paid more for a few amps, and nearly as much for one with three knobs. This amp kicks some butt. I can get a lot of nice sounds and the price for such versatility is pretty fair.