Egnater tweaker

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Mark.B, Apr 16, 2016.

1. Mark.B

Mark.B Member

I'm looking for a small gig amp. The Egnater Tweaker had some nice demos but looking online a lot of reviews and threads mention power issues. Mostly bad/cheap transformers. Most of the info is a couple of years old so I'm wondering had this issue been resolved or have they improved reliability? Or was it just a few incidence that were overblown?

2. Kyle B

Kyle B Supporting Member

I very much like my Tweaker 40. Gig with it couple times a month. I got mine used, and it had a Mercury Magnetics PT already installed.

The transformer issue came & went years ago. If you're buying new, don't even give it a second thought.

deathrider817 and Mark.B like this.
  3. Mark.B

Mark.B Member

Exactly what I needed to know. Thanks.

4. Kyle B

Kyle B Supporting Member

Yeah - It left a bad taste in some peoples mouths... that Egnater didn't immediately replace every transformer in every Tweaker no questions asked. Musicians apparently have problems forgiving & forgetting ;)

Only 4 negatives with the Tweaker 40 I've come across so far...

1) The two channels share a tone stack. I'd prefer a separate tone control for each channel.. but that hasn't been a show stopper at all for me (yet).
    2) The effects loop wasn't quite balanced. In other words, there was a slight volume difference between 'loop active' and 'loop inactive' (not just a pedal thing.. I tested this with a patch cord from Line Out to Line In). I opened her up and replaced a specific resistor with a potentiometer, then dialed in a completely balanced loop. I dunno how common that issue might be - I've never heard anybody else complain about it.
    3) The ohms switch in the back fell apart. Although I think that was probably a result of rough-handling by the previous owner, not necessarily a result of poor component quality.
    4) I've had cords pop out of the effect loop jacks.. i.e. they didn't quite go in 'all the way'. This is using Switchcraft plugs, not garbage, so I shaved a millimeter or so off the little nuts that hold the jacks to the chassis. Problem solved :)

Overall, the innards are well made (for a Chinese amp). Very very complex though. Without significant previous experience, the DIY will probably not be able to fix one of these.

5. Mark Shumaker

Mark Shumaker Supporting Member

Don't rule out the 15 watt version either, more volume and headroom than you may think. I've gigged with the 15w head for a couple years now with no issues. Great bang for the buck amp.

deathrider817, Al Rose and Mark.B like this.
  6. sugarlou

sugarlou Supporting Member

I have a 15...tough amp ...no issues...good tones

7. Ilduce

Ilduce And now for something completely different! Supporting Member

I rocked a Tweaker 40H for a while and it was pretty decent. The only reason I moved on was i needed a change in pace.

8. Jimmy3Fingers

Jimmy3Fingers Member

I gig a Tweaker 15 every week. Got the head used, PT went out and was replaced by Egnater for a little $. Darn good amp and no other issues. Really came alive with a JJ tube swap.

deathrider817 likes this.
  9. guitargeezer

guitargeezer Silver Supporting Member

There's a pretty good display of the Tweaker 15 on this Anderton's video...

10. Mark Shumaker

Mark Shumaker Supporting Member

JJ preamp, power, or both? Just curious, I'll be needing some soon. I was thinking JJ 6v6.

11. Jimmy3Fingers

Jimmy3Fingers Member

12. Mark.B

Mark.B Member

Thanks for the info. I think I may pick one up. I have a line on a few used ones but I may just go for new after reading of all the issues of the past examples.

13. forgivenman

forgivenman Member

I had the 40 model and loved it except for the shared tone stack. Many great sounds in that amp!

14. Axisman5150

Axisman5150 Member

I have the 15 head and it sounds great with all types of cabs/speakers. Plenty loud! Go with the JJ 6v6's and preamp tubes of choice.

15. deathrider817

deathrider817 Member

I just got my brand new one yesterday. The original plan was to have a backup small tube amp for my EVH LBX 15 watt head..I had my Lbx at a warranty repair shop, guy took 2 months 2 swap 2 power tubes and a supposed bias job, and I had no backup amp..I got to play my Tweaker alot today and I truly like it..I have done previous research on these prior to my purchase..I know it's new but I changed preamp tube 1 or the 1 closest to the front panel of amp, to a Tungsol 12AX7 and it brought the volume up without any change of volume prior to tube change, and it smoothed out the gain. I run my reverb pedal thru the loop and I did run my AMT ELECTRONICS D2 Diezel pedal thru the from with amps gain at halfway and the switches on Hot and Brit..it sounds incredible now, tons of sustain and sizzle, and just a killer high gain Diezel sound..I ran it thru my 1×12" cab with a WGS HM 75 and my 2×12" cab with Celestion V-type speakers. .again sounds incredibly massive..my Tweaker has JJ 6V6's stock..now I was thinking about getting an A -B switch and possibly using the Tweaker as the clean and my EVH as the dirty sounds. .but my Tweaker with just the preamp tube change made a huge improvement in the overall sound..glad I finally TWEAKED !!

Mark.B likes this.
  16. deathrider817

deathrider817 Member

I also tried my Joyo Ultimate drive pedal by itself thru the front end of the Tweaker, with amps gain at around 2 o'clock and the switches on Hot and Brit it had killer sustain and more beef..A little noisy so I put my ISP Decimator after it and that killed the noise problem. .great amp! I will keep it!

Mark.B likes this.
  17. Mark.B

Mark.B Member

Thanks for the info. Please keep me updated on any reliability issues you may run into. :)

18. jlagrassa

jlagrassa Supporting Member

A friend of mine bought the Tweaker 40 a couple of years ago and went through 2 transformers, so far this last one seems to be solid with the latest improved transformer.

19. deathrider817

deathrider817 Member

Already this
    I just got my brand new one 2 days ago for $400, and I absolutely love it,

20. deathrider817

deathrider817 Member

I got lucky I guess, my new one has JJ 6V6's already installed, and the preamp tubes have Ruby and Egnater on on each one..I swapped #1 preamp tube to a new Tungsol 12AX7 Reissue, and for me it made a huge difference, the distortion is nice and clean as in high gain sound sounds way better without fizziness.it was hard to quit playing it last night.