Egnator Tourmaster 4100

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by LilSteve, Jan 28, 2008.

1. LilSteve

LilSteve Member

2. rreiser

rreiser Supporting Member

Bruce is a class act and these new amps seem phenomenal for the price. I am looking forward to there arrival in my local Guitar Center.

3. IPlayHamers

IPlayHamers Member

I had a chance to play that amp about a month ago and it's awesome. The only thing that stopped me from buying it was I got a great deal on a Bad Cat Tone Cat. That said, I will be picking one of these up in the future. It's a much better amp than the current Marshall and Mesa offerings.

4. coxswain

coxswain Member

I have one from the first run that was sent out to GC platinum stores in December. I run mine through a Bogner 4x12 and it delivers! Its great in that it has a real clean channel coupled with a decent reverb. What i might do is get the Egnater m2 to run in the effects loop of the Tourmaster.

I would also like to compare this to the Mod 50.

Chase

5. electronpirate

electronpirate Member

MOD Series: Built in USA.

Tourmaster: Built in China.

They look GREAT. Keep browsing my local GC to see if they have one in.

EP

6. coxswain

coxswain Member

Yea but I definatly want to hear them side by side through the same cabinet. I know I'm going to be getting a mod 50 one of these days. The flexibility of those amps is just too cool to pass up.

7. soupbone

soupbone Member

$1399 for the head
    $1599 for combo
    $699 for 4x12

8. fogman

fogman Member

9. saxophonist56

saxophonist56 Supporting Member

very cool. i don't think that it sounds quite as good as what i heard in the video but i'm going back tomorrow for a second go. 1399 for an egnator.
    i kept looking to see where it was made.... china hmmm.
    just when you think it's safe to buy an amp they drop another great choice on you.

10. ProToneThinline

ProToneThinline Member

I bought the 4212 combo yesterday. I'm gigging it today, which is something i normally wouldn't do. Usually with a new purchase, I take a little time to get used to it before I take it to a gig. However, this thing sounds so awesome, and is so easy to dial in, that I have no worries about gigging it right away.

I was able to A/B the combo with the head/cab before I bought. I was expecting the head/cab to sound much bigger and fuller, but it really didn't. With all controls set the same, the head/cab did sound a little bigger, but a slight adjustment on the combo's density control leveled the playing field real fast.

The only real downside is the weight. The combo weighs in at 95 lbs. I'm 5'6" and weigh 150 lbs. It's really hard for me to lift the amp by myself, but I can do it (barely). I guess it's time for me to buff up a bit. :rotflmao The amp sounds so good that I'm willing to deal with the weight.

The clean channel alone was enough to make me want this amp. It's sweet and responsive, not stiff. It's a very musical tone, no matter how you set the controls. It's not spikey like a blackface, and it's not harsh like a Boogie. I guess the best description is "pretty". The crunch and gain channels are also very, very good. Between the vintage/modern switches and the contour switches, you essentially have 16 sounds at your disposal.

I was concerned about the Chinese build quality, but the amp seems very sturdy. I bought an extra year warranty, for a total of 4 years. The extra warranty cost $150, but my guy at GC knocked $100 off the price of the amp, so the net cost was only $50. I just hope I don't need to use it.

If anyone's interested, I'll post a gig report tomorrow.

11. coxswain

coxswain Member

Awesome, thanks for the review!

Since I finally changed the strings on my guitar this amp has really come alive!

Definatly post the review of the gig when you have time.

Chase

12. Big Al Z

Big Al Z Supporting Member

The snow of Cleveland Ohio and sun of Daytona Bch
    They're in Cleveland, Ohio too. No Rebels yet.

13. M@tt C

M@tt C Supporting Member

The GC in Akron had the head, cab, and the combo today.....I spent about an hour comparing the head/ cab to the JVM 4 channel, the new JVM two channel, and a 100 watt Vintage Modern.

I was very impressed- very nice, quality look and feel to the amp. Pretty easy to set up and get a HUGE variety of tones out of it. The only negative (for me) was that on the OD channels it didn't clean up as much as I would like with the guitar's volume knob.

I did like it better than the JVM's, but ended up walking out with the Vintage Modern- I'm a volume knob kinda guy, and the Marshall was killer at doing the "clean to mean" thing.

Still, if I was looking for a very flexible, great sounding channel switcher at a reasonable $$, the Tourmaster would be at the top of my list.

14. saxophonist56

saxophonist56 Supporting Member

the combo just kills but 95 lbs is a bit much.
    the only negative is the overdrive channels pickup noise. that killed it for me. i remember my TR ruby did that too. my mako's rocca's were dead quiet. same for the opal. not sure why but hate that.

otherwise i thought the tones were stellar.

15. Axemeister

Axemeister Member

Good point. I really liked the amp, but now that you mention it, the noise on OD channels was high enough that the salesman at GC thought that I had a bad cord... He brought me another new cord but it made no difference and there was still a very high level of hum on OD channel.

16. ProToneThinline

ProToneThinline Member

Well, last night's gig went off without a hitch, and the Tourmaster did a great job. The gig was an Oscar Night party here at Heinz Field. All the local media and politicos were there. About 1,000 guests in all. The room was very large (the ballroom) but relatively narrow. We didn't need to cover the entire room, just the rear bar/dance floor area.

The TM did a great job. I needed to do a little tweaking, mostly on channel 4, but that's true of most high gain channels. The cleans were stunning, and the gain side had low end push like I've never heard from a combo amp. I used all 4 channels throughout the night, and found all the channels useable and musical. No harshness at all, even with new speakers. Once the cones loosen up this amp will be scary good.

This is a 100 watt amp, but it's a LOUD 100 watts. I ran the 50 watt setting all night long, and had the gain channels padded down to 10 watts, and the crunch at 20 watts. I never got the master volume above "3". I also didn't notice any noise, even on the gain sides. My amp was extremely quiet. The only drawback was the effects loop. The loop didn't like my Korg AX5G too much. I ended up taking the Korg out of the loop and running it in front of the amp. Unfortunately I didn't have much time to tweak the effects, so they were average at best. However, the Korg isn't really designed to run in a loop, so I can't fault either the amp or the effects unit.

The amp really brings out the characteristics of your guitar. I played my PRS CE-22, and I heard tones coming out of that thing that I never heard before. The best result was how well the guitar/amp combo sat in the mix. I could hear my guitar very well, without being overpowering. I'd been playing single 12 amps for a long time, and had forgotten how well 2 12's spread the sound. My bass player was standing right next to my amp, and even though I could hear very well, he said my amp never blew him out with volume, even when I hit the high gain channel.

Yeah, it's heavy, but it's only 10 pounds more than a Twin. I'll deal with the weight in order to get the tones. This one's a keeper.

17. rcl

rcl Member

I played by half stack for 5 hours Saturday night. Didnt have time to tweak much before hand. I have some effects in the loop and it worked out well. Cheap boss effects at the moment, so they are what they are, but it worked well enough(I was using paralell).

Channel 1-wow. Can't say much more than that. I used my JVM the week before with an AC-3 in the loop to get an acoustic like tone. The eggy did that with no loop enabled. Amazing.

Channel 2-Nice, though I want to mess with a lower wattage to see what else I can get out of it. I left the amp at 100 watts all night.

Channel 3-THe meat and potato channel for me. I could spend all day here. Just lovely warm and crunchy.

Channel 4-We don't do much heavy stuff, so I may drop this channel out of modern mode (which I liked goofing around at home) for a heavier version of my channel three setup.

I used the fx loop as a solo boost by screwing with the send and return levels. That worked pretty well, but at the end of the night I dropped my TIM pedal in front of the amp...holy crap! I should have done that all night. I forget what a nice cleanish boost the TIM can give. Add just a little gain and it works as a nice solo boost. That will probably be my config going forward.

The head tops the scales at 60 pounds. Those 8 preamp tubes don't weigh THAT much, but something in there does. Not a big deal, as I dont move it much. Seems a little bigger than the JVM. I got the matching cab and it sounds great. I'll also try my marshall with 75s in it, just for grins.

The amp cuts through great. I kept feeling like I was too loud. I usually can't hear myself too well from where I have to stand. Not a problem now.

Bottom line, it's a great amp. If it bugs you where it's made...don't buy it. If you want to spend more, spend away. I rolled the JVM into the corner...next to my roadking. As stated above, this one is a keeper.

18. ProToneThinline

ProToneThinline Member

Yes, I had the same experience. I could hear myself SO well that I kept thinking I was too loud, but everyone said the stage mix was great.

19. Lucidology

Lucidology Member

Blew two tubes in my Mesa Lonestar Classic this weekend,
    & brought out my Tourmaster combo to cover the three gigs I had booked ...

Ya know, the 1st channel clean tone on this maybe truly competes with
    all of the great super clean amps I've ever used (& prefer)....
    It's really a very, very good~high quality sound ...

Plus it takes pedals better then most ...