Egnator Tourmaster for the masses

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by vrdyer, Mar 8, 2008.

1. vrdyer

vrdyer Silver Supporting Member

2. tennisplayer

tennisplayer Senior Member

Welcome to last month. Been posted here a few times. It does sound good though.

3. gag halfrunt

gag halfrunt A fellow of infinite jest Supporting Member

That looks like a great amp. Very versatile.

4. mmorse

mmorse Member

Played one last week. As soon as I get my 2550 sold, I'm going to pick one up.

5. guitarvc

guitarvc Member

I own a Mod 50 and love it. The Mod 50 is agigging musicians dream come true. That being said I was disappointed by the Tourmaster half stack I played at GC. maybe something was wrong with this one, but to my ears it was no better than a Msrshall JVM ( which sucks, sorry Bruce, I still love all your other amps! ).

I must say that I'm a bit of a tone snob...I hate all of the new Marshalls and Gibsons. The worst amp I have ever owned was a Mesa Rectoverb...a pretty good amp to most other people!!!

I can be a bit harsh...you might like it. For 600 more you can have the Mod 50, which is the best 4 channel amp in the world!!! If it were me I'd savde my money and wait til I could get the Mod 50!

:dude

6. the_Chris

the_Chris It's All Been Done Before Gold Supporting Member

This amp seems to be a love or hate thing. I've played it twice and was really disappointed. It has a lot of bells and whistles, but the tone was not impressive at all, even after extensive tweaking. To my ears the tones were pretty dry and muddy sounding - almost "distant". I didn't get that punch or clarity I associate with better amps. I'm not a tone snob by any means, but I'd much rather have my Crate V32 Palomino than that thing: it's a lot clearer, more open sounding, punchier and more responsive to pick attack.

If I were to spend around a grand on a new amp, I'd put it into a Fender Supersonic, that amp was in a different league to my ears. I've heard a lot of very good things about Egnater's higher end line and I have no reason to doubt that the Mod series is fantastic, but the Tourmaster even with all of its switches was a pretty poor sounding amp.

7. NortheastHick

NortheastHick Supporting Member

I tried the combo and the head 4x12 at gc the other day...I was less than impressed..Muffled sounding and just plain weak.MUCH better channel switchers out there than the tourmaster..For the record, i had my rectoverb for 2 days before i returned it..

8. Alistair6

Alistair6 Member

totally agree. i played both a combo and half stack while in florida at GC and was not impressed. a local gear guy has a mod 50 on order and is talking it up soo much but we'll see

9. Orren

Orren Member

I'm a MOD50 owner, so I'm obviously and proudly biased towards Egnater gear. :) That said, when I listened to the Tourmaster at Winter NAMM 2008, it sounded very good. So I'm not sure if the ones that are in GC aren't up to the same quality as the amps they brought with them, if it's just the specific ones you're trying, or if it's just personal taste. But hopefully it's a limited thing, and the available Tourmasters are as good as the one I heard at NAMM.

And that little Rebel was really something else! What a cool "grab & go" amp! I'm thinking of getting one even though I've got the MOD50! :)

Orren

10. jkamp20

jkamp20 Member

Sounds pretty sweet. Looks like that new 4 channel marshall.

11. ProToneThinline

ProToneThinline Member

I played a Supersonic and a Tourmaster combo side by side, and I thought there was no comparison. The Tourmaster sounded SO much better than the Supersonic. Much more "3-D" and alive than the Fender. I guess it is a love or hate thing - I bought the Tourmaster. I actually thought the Fender sounded "cheap" in comparison. I thought that amp was the one that sounded harsh and dry.

12. gag halfrunt

One thing to remember is that MANY amps sitting in stores (especially large chains like GC) are in dire need of re-biasing. I don't know if it's due to shipping, several large changes in humidity/temperature, etc, but it's very common. And it's unlikely that GC is regularly re-biasing amps when they unpack them.

It goes without saying that correcting the bias can make an amp sound better.

13. Hattrick

Hattrick Member

When I purchased my M4 last year I asked Bruce about the Tour Master Series amps he was going to release to GC. He told me it was a very detuned version of his legendary Egnater series such as the MOD 50 and the M4 Pre and suggested that I would be much happier owning either of the above. I opted for the M4 and never looked back such a great piece of equipment.

14. mmorse

mmorse Member

I played A Tourmaster at GC a couple of weeks ago. I played the head/cab, not the combo. At first blush, I wasn't impressed. Reminded me of a JVM and I HATED that amp. Compressed, thin, buzzy and flat. This was with the amp set to it's lowest output setting. I was about to walk out. Then I started tweaking the knobs. I flipped the switches on all 4 channels from the modern to classic mode. I also turned the contour knob all the way to the left (I think that is off) on all 4 channels.

The amp took on a whole new tone. Much fuller, deep and toneful. Even at the 20/10 watt setting. I continued tweaking and got the amp to sound really nice at very home friendly levels. That's when I decided I wanted one. I'll bet a re-bias and maybe some tube rolling and it will sound even better.

Just for grins, when I had it dialed in, I flipped the switch back to modern on the OD channel I was on and turned up the contour knob and it was JVM crap all over again. But with the amp in classic mode and the contour out of the circuit, I thought the amp sounded pretty darn good. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. :)

15. scottro123

scottro123 Member

Ditto what ProToneThinline said. I walked home with the amp too!

16. SQUAREHEAD

SQUAREHEAD Supporting Member

Wow... I played the Egnater and I would NEVER even think of the Supersonic in the same league... not even close!
    I guess tone is subjective - we all have a different set of ears and none are right or wrong!

Keith:confused:

17. gag halfrunt

I had a very similar experience with the Tourmaster when I played it recently. I couldn't stand the Modern selector, but on Classic, I was able to get some really decent crunch tones. Cleans were ok. The power grid was awesome.

Good amp for the money, but I agree with the earlier posting about saving up for a MOD 50 if you can. If you are willing to spend that kind of $ on an amp, you'll be very glad you did.

18. JubileeMan 2555

JubileeMan 2555 Member

that makes me sad...as a jubilee fan! :)

19. 1973Marshall

1973Marshall Member

I agree the "MODERN" mode soudns kinda artificial and lacks the "balls".

20. scottro123

scottro123 Member

Hmm, I'm loving the cleans on my combo as much as any amp I've owned. Perhaps something is lost in the head/cab config? One thing I've found is to run the density higher (12 to 2 o'clock) to fill in the low end, and back down the bass on the gain channel to compensate if necessary.

The density should be adjusted depending on the volume of the amp to get the bass response just right. I find this control as a really effective way of getting a great full sound at lower volumes. I settled into the 20 watt mode in all channels as well--sounds great.