1. misterdontmove

misterdontmove Member

Last night V1 in my Silverface Super Reverb began making noise during practice. I had to replace it with a pulled EH 12ax7 that I had as a spare. I CANNOT BELIEVE how good this tube sounds in the amp? I guess my NOS snobbery kept me from using it, but now I'm thinking about picking up a bunch of these. Anyone else have the same experience or suggestions for new production 12ax7 tubes?

2. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    They're not bad. But when comparing tubes you have to compare FULLY FUNCTIONAL tubes or the comparison isn't valid.

3. RiftAmps

RiftAmps Member

My experience is this: One tube may sound horrible in one amp, yet give the holy grail tone in another. If you were to ignore brand/age/internet hype and did a blind test on a few different tubes, you'd be surprised as to which one you think sounded best.

Reliability however is a completely different game....

4. misterdontmove

misterdontmove Member

You're correct. I'm sure I'm percieving improvement over the old tube because it's a new (stronger) tube. But so far, it seems to be a good new production alternative. I'll have to see about longevity and microphonics as I continue to use it.

5. Garthhog

Garthhog Member

I tried a EH 12AX7 in V1 of the amps I design and hated them... too harsh. I like JJs and Mullards in my amps. It is very design dependent.

Ryan

6. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    Also try the new Russian Svetlana 12AX7. Not as bright as the EH, but a good contender in most amps. What tubes you have in the other sockets will affect your V1 preference, as well.

7. Beam Tetrode

Beam Tetrode Member

The 12AX7EH is a favorite of mine. Just bought a few more today. They sound awesome in Mesa Dual Recs.

8. Timbre Wolf

Timbre Wolf GoldMember Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Before you stock up on EH tubes, you might dare to try a test. If you really want to find out what you prefer, sub a new-testing version of your favorite vintage tube for that new EH. Use your ears to decide which you favor.

Warning: do not try this spellbreaker while running on an empty wallet.

- Thom

9. DaveKS

DaveKS Member

Pretty sure if you had taken a brand new, high functioning exactly matching brand nos in that same v1 you would have also noticed a huge improvement.

Tube degrade over time slowly, and many times we don't notice because it's such a gradual slow change until tube reaches failure.

10. GT100

GT100 Member

Yes, look at the large numbers of folks around here that think Preamp tubes virtually last forever.
    To my ears current production stuff sound lifeless after two years of daily use.

Lloyd

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk