EH Deluxe Memory Man quality control issues!!!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by echo unit, Jul 14, 2006.

1. echo unit

echo unit Member

I have owned three of these in the last year and this thread is a major complaint so read no further if you can't bear a bit of negativity.

They all sounded different from each other and they all had a drastically different amount of delay time when all are maxed out.

The first one had shorter delay and the feedback control would not go high enough to go into oscillation...weird?

The second one had this high pitched 15kHz overtone squeal that would show up in the echo repeats and was really annoying! SOunded like a bad tube.

They all had varying degrees of that hissing noise on the echo repeats but the one I curretly have is far worse then the first two. It's unbearable!

What the heck is going on with these and has anyone else found the recent Deluxe Memory Man pedals to be this inconsisten and having really awful quality control in terms of how different ones sound?

I personallly find this really annoying and after spendin glots of time and money hunting for a good one with no luck, I am now looking for an alternative. A delay that sounds like the memory man where you can have vibrato on the echo repeats but wihtout the noise and high frequency squeal.

Any suggestions?

2. Coach

Coach Senior Member

I just bought a spare before the price hike and of coarse tried it out to make sure it works. Sounds just like my first one. It does have a little bit of noise on the repeats but it's not bad at all. Delay times are consistant and settings are on the same spot on all the dials.

2 for 2 with the DMM. Maybe I'm lucky? Or you're unlucky? :eek:

3. burningyen

burningyen Gold Supporting Member

I have a strong suspicion that the answer lies in internal trim pots that are set differently but that can be matched if you open up the unit and do some tweaking.

4. echo unit

echo unit Member

Is there a best place to buy a Deluxe Memory Man from where I will get a good one that isn't too noisy?

Is there anyone that sells these with mods done to them that reduces the noise?

Anyone else having the noise issues with these noticing different amounts of noise from different deluxe Memory man pedals when setting the echo feedback/repeats higher.

I have noticed a huge varience in how much noise different ones of the same year make and model produce.

5. drmathprog

drmathprog Member

This is the first time I've ever seen the words "Electro-Harmonix" and "quality control" in the same sentence. I think lack of quality control and product consistency have always been a big part of EH's "charm".

6. Medication

Medication Member

ehx is really just hit or miss. Had a DMM that sucked, but have a Holy Grail that's awesome.

7. granite

granite Member

Analogman sells them with a True Bypass Mod. I just bought one from Mike. http://www.analogman.com/eh.htm

8. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

I'm pretty sure the recently produced units are TB.

9. Frosted Glass

Frosted Glass Member

The whine in your second unit was probably due to the clock trim being misaligned. I cranked the clock pot in an old Ibanez rack delay to see if I could coax some more delay time out of it, which I did, but it also introduced a whine into the repeats. Turned it back down until it was silent, and went from maybe 400 back to 300 ms.