EH Deluxe Memory Man vs. MXR Carbon Copy?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by ibanez4life SZ!, Sep 29, 2008.

1. ibanez4life SZ!

ibanez4life SZ! Member

Hey guys!

I'm on the hunt for a new delay.

I've owned the DMM before, and loved it! I stupidly sold it to fund other gear ventures, and now I'm back.

This time around, it seems like the Carbon copy is a good contender for a spot on my board aswell. I need one good delay sound to work well with high gain and clean. The DMM worked great, but the CC is a much cheaper pedal. Funds are tight.

One thing I should mention is that I DO NOT use the modulation feature. I only need the pedal for delay.

Will the CC hold up to what I was used to with the DMM? The only complaint people seem to have is the modulation, which I don't use. Or, does it fall short of that great delay it gave me at both clean and high gain settings?

Thanks much for your advice.

2. orogeny

orogeny Supporting Member

no modulation? no super need for the dmm then. i have yet to hear the random wobble that a dmm can impart to your sound unless it is a tape delay. . . and . . . to tell the truth. . i prefer the dmm wobble. no wobble needed? go for the cc . . . or the de7/dd20. . . . or the maxxon ad900. .. or the analogman. . . or the. . well, the carbon copy is a nice price point.

3. fjs1962

fjs1962 Silver Supporting Member

I own and use both. the Carbon Copy is darker/warmer and has longer delay time. The DMM is clearer but tends to overload a bit with a hot signal. I like the modulation on the DMM better than that on the CC. I like each one for what it does but I gig with a DD-20 for the added versatility.

4. highfive!

highfive! Member

I also own both. CC v1 and a true bypass modded DMM. I concer that the CC has darker, more saturated repeats and a longer delay time. The DMM's dials have better play, easier to fine-tune, and you can take the original signal out of the mix. Each have their own mojo - I prefer the DMM's "clean-ness" and chorus warble, but the CC's lo-fi saturation is really addicting, and scores a spot on my board because of it's small footprint.

5. ibanez4life SZ!

ibanez4life SZ! Member

All sounds great guys! Really appreciate the input.

6. nibus

nibus Supporting Member

Its hard to come by, but if you can pair the Psionic Audio Triad with a DMM it fixes the overload issues and you have the best possible combination IMO...

Though i would like to get a CC too for my second board!

7. jazzandmetal?

jazzandmetal? Supporting Member

If you don't care about the modulation, grab a V1 Carbon Copy. Shouldn't be too expensive.

8. ben_allison

ben_allison Member

Bump! I played the Carbon Copy and absolutely loved the modulation. I found it to be the very spacious "chorusing" kind of mod that I like.

So, can someone compare the modulation of the CC to the DMM? What is it about the DMM that people prefer? I'm not looking for a pedal to do "weird," just big, spacious, warm delays for pad volume swells. So; what is different?*

*please refrain from saying, "Well, it's just different," or, "The DMM's king – period." Let's give some adjectives a go, shall we!

9. Prodigy

Prodigy Senior Member

Carbon Copy is just ok...Doesn't compare to Wampler's Analog Echo IMO...Never tried a DMM, so I can't comment on that.

10. ben_allison

ben_allison Member

Wampler's pedal has no mod. I'm interested in delays with mod exclusively.

11. Gremson

Gremson Member

The CC has internal pots for adjusting rate and depth of the modulation.
    A guy over at HC is having his modded to put the pots on the outside of the pedal.
    Go check into that.

12. benjammin

benjammin Member

You know, the DMM has to be the most popular pedal here. I see it pop up on boards in the photo thread all the time (not including a TU-2 or something like that). That has to be worth something.

13. Prodigy

Prodigy Senior Member

If you want a crazy analog delay that can do some whacked out mod sounds and some cool chorus effects, check out the Subdecay Echobox:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8qqY29s-5o

14. Prodigy

Prodigy Senior Member

Better to try it out in person. Maybe you won't like it with your rig and playing style...A lot of players at TGP seem to be into blues and jazz type stuff and more vintage sounds.

15. mfgobbi

mfgobbi Member

Give us more details on how and why is the wampler that so much better...

16. seiko

seiko Member

Fairly different sounding delays, the DMM is brighter and more acid wash sounding in the repeats, it is it own beast. The CC is much directly comparable to something a Boss DM3 or Ibanez AD9, darker repeats but not so mushy that they get lost. Listen to any of the Robert Quine live stuff with Lou Reed and you'll really get a sense of how the DMM sounds, the CC is more normal but very good, especially for $75 used.

17. Prodigy

Prodigy Senior Member

It's just my personal opinion. Take it or leave it. I found the CC too dark, almost muddy sounding, and I don't use modulation. The deal breaker for me was that the Wampler pedal has a tone filter so you can make the repeats brighter or darker, which is good for getting all sorts of cool tones. I like the fact that it is hand built by the designer of the pedal instead of being mass produced in a factory, and it is 100% true bypass. MXR (and Digitech) has people fooled into thinking 'true hardwire bypass' IS 'true bypass', but that is certainly not the case. All in all, Wampler's Analog Echo just sounds lots better to my ears. Why don't you A/B both to judge for yourself, like I did? You might like the MXR pedal better, you might not, but you won't know unless you try 'em out.

18. Lolaviola

Lolaviola Supporting Member

Another cool pedal is the Boost DLA:
    It has a really cool tone filter and modulation.

19. Rockin J

Rockin J Member

I have both and the memory man just has too much white noise in the repeats for me to love it. The carbon copy is a little dark sounding but is a good pedal. For analog delay I like my HBE Mimic Mock II more than either of these other two. Better sound and less noise.

20. ben_allison

ben_allison Member

Oh, I'm familiar with the Echobox! Killer pedal. I love the modulation controls, and it seems to get great "analogue" repeats.

It's really between the CC and the Echobox for me. The DMM's too big (and noisy) for me. Once the XO DMM's hit North America though, it'll be more to think about.

Anyway, the CC and Echobox are the only analog-ish-with-modulation contenders at this point.