EH Deluxe Memory Man?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Platypus, Jul 27, 2006.

1. Platypus

Platypus not in rivers, but in drops Supporting Member

EH pedals have always been really hit or miss with me either because of quality or inconsistancy but this pedal seems to have a pretty good rep. I'm looking for something to replace my Boss DD3 because it doesn't really have the most natural sound.. Is there another product I should consider? Any issues with this? I mainly want the wall of echo/delay type of sound with it but also some classic PF tones.

It will run in an effects loop so I can bypass it.. I don't care that it alters the tone much as I won't be using it all the time and it's already a pretty crazy sound, I'm not picky.

Suggestions welcome!

edit: Is the stereo memory man equally as good for what I'm looking for? I don't care that you cannot run the chorus and delay at the same time.. don't really feel like spending ~300 for a modded deluxe memory man unless it's really worth it.. and no EH pedal has ever been worth 300 to me.

2. loofery

loofery Member

I just got one yesterday.
    I love it! And this is not just a honeymoon.
    It sounds very warm, very real, and you can modulate the delays, that's flippin sweet. Delay length is pretty long for an analog. Also, gotta love the level knob.

Get a used older one though, Analog Mike can tell you why.

3. Platypus

Thank you for your comments, care to share why the older ones are better? I've heard the newer ones were true bypass?

4. loofery

loofery Member

Analog Mike tells all in great detail, including how to test for which version, here: http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1305130&highlight=memory+man

But by all means get one, either version, if you can for cheap (I paid 160 shipped).
    They WILL be discontinued because ehx said at NAMM that they only had about 100 of the new chips left. The DMMs will go up in value soon - good investment, although you really will dig the pedal.

Also I'm going to run it in a TB loop so all should be good.

5. Coach

Coach Senior Member

The new old (TB but in the beginning of TB production) memory mans have two delay chips rather than the four that the newest ones have. They sound the same except the new new ones can pass signal without power and the new old don't. Also having two chips is easier to keep aligned (sp).

That doesn't seem like an important thing to me so buy what you like.

6. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

I like mine a lot........ not sure which era TB it is, I got it used... I have a lot of fun with it... running a looped part out to it and twiddling with the feedback and delay time controls results in some CRAZY sounds (not to mention the other controls)

7. Platypus

Can you get that wall of echo type sound? It's like an ever-cascading wall that gets more distorted as it goes on.

8. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

I can make it sound like a helicopter landing on the top of my house when you crank the feedback... then when you spin the delay time control the whole sound goes wheee-whooorrrr weeeeeee... like a DJ scratching, sorta...

Check out "Mad Analog Synth Guitar" at http://www.myspace.com/stephenpolcz, it's going through the POG, too (I think I was playing with the LPF control on the POG while recording the loop, anyway)...

9. Coach

Coach Senior Member

10. Platypus

11. Platypus

12. drolling

drolling Member

Yes Plat - you can get your 'wall-of-echo' w/the DMM - it's called oscillation, and most BBD based delays'll do this, no prob. I'd grab one now, before they go up/get discontinued.

I have a 1st generation reissue (AC cord, buffered bypass) - great sounding delay, and very quiet in an effects loop, altho' I run mine in front of my old single channel nonmaster amps..

13. Platypus

Thanks, very helpful.

As far as the analog delay sound, is it comparable to like a maxon ad9 tone wise? How is the build quality overall?

14. drolling

drolling Member

Maxon's one of the few I haven't had a chance to A/B it against, but the DMM's delayed tone is very warm & fuzzy.. nowhere near as clean as the Diamond Memory Lane, which I also own, but full of it's own character - It's also got that wild modulation circuitry.. sounds nothing like standard chorus/vibrato, but a very unique & cool sound nonetheless.

I've had my DMM for years. No problems. I've heard that EH has improved their quality control of late, and I haven't heard any horror stories recently.

15. Platypus

GAS is flaring up out of control now for this pup.. want to find one shipped for around 150, I keep refreshing the emporium :\

16. Lund

Lund Member

well regarding the DMM... i just traded a guyatone MD3 for a DMM about 2 or 3 weeks ago (i had to pay some cash as well), and i am sooooo happy with it.

It just sounds amazing, full, musical, crasy if you want it, and normal with a touch of chorus, if thats what you want, very quiet, i find the repeats a lot clearer than my SAD1 analog delay.

Its not going anywhere its a keeper.

Only bad thing is perhaps the size and 24 volt powersupply... but i dont care and its not that bad.

I highly recommend it, and they are supposed to get more expensive so get it now if you have the money for it:)

Michael

17. Platypus

On that note, how pricey is the adaptor and if I choose to go the 9V route, how is the current draw on this unit.. will it last a while or is it a battery eater like my boss DD3... if I leave that thing plugged in over night and OFF it will be dead the next day guaranteed.

18. Coach

Coach Senior Member

The adaptor comes with the pedal and there is no battery option for the DMM.

19. MR Haney

MR Haney Member

20. Platypus

I've got one on the way from a fellow TGP'er! :dude