EH DLX Memory Man Powering Options?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by granite, Jul 16, 2006.

1. granite

granite Member

Can you power a DLX MM using a Pedal Power 2+? Maybe a dumb question, but I hate wall warts. If the PP2+ won't do it, is there another power supply pedal that will do it and power my other pedals that run on 9V-18VDC?

If you have other ideas let me know. Thanks!

2. shakti

shakti Member

I'd like to know too! I tried to power it off an original PP back in the day, but it didn't sound as good as with the wallwart. I think I combined two of the 13.2V settings, theoretically ending up with 26.4V, though I didn't measure it.

I recently had a custom PSU built with a 24V out (24V exactly). The DMM didn't sound very good at that voltage. At the end of the day I couldn't use the PUS for other reasons, so I have now returned to the wallwart, and the DMM sounds just beautiful. I measured the voltage from the wallwart, and found that it was actually something like 31-32V! Something to bear in mind if you want to power it off a PP2 or Juicebox 2.0.

I'd love to hear if anyone's had success using a PSU like the PP2 or Juicebox 2.0 to power this.

3. westerhever

westerhever Member

yes,you can.my tech soldered me a special y-cable to use the two 12v outputs of the pp2 with my memory man.works great without any hum.

4. shakti

shakti Member

Hmmm, odd. I did the exact same thing, but it didn't sound as good. There was more noise on the repeats, and the decay wasn't as nice. Plus, the oscillation reacted very differently. It was bad enough that I never considered sticking with that way of powering it, even though that would have made it much easier.

5. westerhever

westerhever Member

none of these issues with my setup at all.
    mms seem to be different from each other anyway.

6. gapple88

gapple88 Member

I'm waiting for my flatliner to see whether its a good source of powering my DMM.

7. shakti

shakti Member

Just for the record, how old is your DMM? Mine is from '99 or earlier.

8. granite

granite Member

Anyone else have any ideas? I was hoping Analogman (Mike) might chime in. I just placed an order from Analogman last night for the MM. I was wondering if he has tried alternative powering options for the DLX MM or if could provide special cables for use with a PP2+. Mike you out there?

9. westerhever

westerhever Member

mine is 3 or 4 years old.

10. analogmike

analogmike Gold Supporting Member

Yes, you can use two of the PP2+ outputs set for 12V ACA setting, with a Y cable, to power the DMM. I have had no luck getting the cables from voodoo labs but you can get them direct from them.

Good luck!

11. shakti

shakti Member

OK, but caveat emptor. It didn't work well enough for me to do that. But with the recent threads about DMMs being inconsistent, maybe I just got one that needs more juice to sound its best?

Did anyone else measure the voltage from their wallwarts? As I said, mine measures 31-32VDC.

12. analogmike

analogmike Gold Supporting Member

It is 31-32V when it's not connected, when connected and current is flowing it should go down to close to 24V.

With wall wart adaptors, you need to measure the voltage on the inside
    of the pedal (inside of the power jack is convenient) to see what they run at. Try that with the Voodoo labs Y cord and it should be 24V steady. I just tested the E-H adaptor, it's 32V open and 27V connected in the pedal. It is possible that the pedal sounds better at 27V than 24V.

Hope that helps!

13. shakti

shakti Member

Aha! OK, makes sense, I guess. But I maintain that my DMM didn't sound optimal when run off of two PP outlets in the 13.2V setting. And it didnt' sound right with the custom PSU which was dead on 24V (I don't know what it was inside the pedal though).

14. TBone

TBone Member

Although it's before our time (Pedalgear.net), I believe the 002 JuiceBox was only capable of provide a max of 18 volts DC. The new 003 JuiceBox takes that up to 24 volts DC.

TBone

15. shakti

shakti Member

I'd like to revive this thread and ask for some input from others... I finally upgraded from the Juicebox 2.0 (the old one from ADL) to the newer Juicebox 3.0 from pedalgear.net. Primarily because I wanted the 24V option on the 3.0 to power a Deluxe Memory Man.

Unfortunately I get the same results as with previous attempts; my DMM does not sound optimal at the 24V setting on the Juicebox. The trail-offs are kind of weird and abrupt. It's not really subtle either...as soon as I use the wallwart I got with the DMM, I get more repeats, a much more "liquid" sound and no weird/cutting trail-offs. I know it's not a current draw issue, as the Juicebox 24V outlet has plenty current rating on that outlet.

Has anyone else successfully powered a DMM from a regulated 24VDC supply? My particular DMM is from 1999 or earlier. Some comments on here made me think maybe DMMs differ slightly from each oother in this respect, so that maybe newer ones will work fine off of a regulated 24VDC supply? FWIW, the DMM comes with an unregulated 24V adapter, which actually measures more like 32-33V when not under load.

16. shakti

shakti Member

Bump.

Anyone out there with a Juicebox 3.0 and DMM? How does it work off of ISO 4?

17. pear gage

pear gage Member

I have an old dmm with an attatched ac cord that I always thought sounded slightly better than the newer wallwart version but I always attributed it to it using two chips instead of four but maybe the different power supply affects the overall sound quality too.

I would like to compare it side by side with a wallwart version that has 2 chips as well.

18. dverna

dverna Member

I would try sending your DMM to Howard Davis. He can mod it, align it, and adjust it so that it is working at full capacity. Then, see how it acts with your power source....

I did this, and it made all the difference.

19. shakti

shakti Member

Bumping this thread with an update;

I made a cable which wires two outputs in series to power the Deluxe Memory Man. On my older ADL Juicebox V2.0, I used the 18V and 13,2V settings combined for 31,2V, and the DMM sounds perfect at that voltage! Same as with the adapter.

I think the problem here might be that the 13,2V ACA settings on the PP2+ and Juicebox are not regulated. So two of those outlets in series will give you 26,4V unregulated, which drops considerably when connected to the DMM. On the Juicebox V3.0, the 24V outlet may or may not be regulated, but at any rate it does not sound optimal with my DMM. Per Analog Mike's measurements, the optimal working voltage of the DMM may be around 27V. So you need either a regulated 27V outlet, or an unregulated outlet of sufficient voltage that it drops to around 27V under load.

By combining an 18V and an unregulated 13,2V on my Juicebox V2.0, I meet those criteria. Similarly, I think you could wire three outlets on a PP2+ in series for the same result, i.e. 9+9+13,2V. There are probably several ways to get there.