EH Fuzz Pedals. Made in...?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by newfiesig, May 7, 2020.

1. newfiesig

newfiesig Member

Does anyone know where EH pedals are now made? Specifically their Fuzz pedals?

The standard Big Muff says "made in NYC, USA". To easy. The Russian reissue says nothing, but is made in China.

The triangle and ram's head reissues simply say: "New York Cit, USA" but nowhere does it say "made in" (at least not on the front...

Tried calling EH, but they are shut down due to NY regs for COVID-19.

2. Kev O)))

Kev O))) Member

I think maybe just final assembly & QC is done in NYC.

analogmike, monty and fretless like this.
  3. newfiesig

newfiesig Member

For all?

4. The-Kid

The-Kid CIOKS dealer and seller Vendor

Not sure. But I know allot of stuff is and has been done overseas and then assembled here.

Not bad. They have done that forever but yeah. I think somethings like the DMM TT are done MIA but dont be surprised allot of legend pedals they make have been done overseas and assembled here but many legends still used them and still use em in some cases.

I wouldnt fret to much about it. Otherwise if you were looking for a no frills, No cutting corners Big Muff Pi look Chicago Stomp Works or Vick Audio for a premium handbuilt clone even the EQD stuff of course.

EHX is great and I wouldnt let it bother me much as they have done this for ages and they always sound pretty stellar and give dope tones that make any guitarist twist their head.

monty and newfiesig like this.
  5. woolyh

woolyh Member

All the original EHX pedals were made in the USA, the Sovtek stuff in Russia but all the reissues from 2001 onwards have been made overseas. They were built in Taiwan but in another thread someone said mainland China but I don't think I've ever seen one with MIC written on it. But yeah all made in Asia and then shipped to NYC for assembly.

Johnny Moondog and The-Kid like this.
  6. newfiesig

newfiesig Member

Ok, thanks. I'm assuming that the large big muff (that says made in NYC, USA) is completely built in the US? Or simply assembled like the rest?

7. Jess 1971

Jess 1971 Supporting Member

8. newfiesig

newfiesig Member

I do.

Bryan T likes this.
  9. newfiesig

newfiesig Member

This is my one experience with a made in China muff:

[​IMG]

10. captaincoconut

captaincoconut Member

EHX have always been known to be of somewhat underwhelming build quality. It's part of the deal. Just read all the thousands of threads where people had a broken Soul Food potentiometer.

Anyway, EHX has all their boards built and assembled in China. They only do final assembly in New York. That's why their pedal are affordable.

The-Kid likes this.
  11. newfiesig

newfiesig Member

Ok, even the one's that specifically say "Made in NYC, USA"?

12. Kev O)))

Kev O))) Member

I think that's the reason why so many of the EHX pedals now just read Electro Harmonix on the bottom instead of saying Made in NYC, USA.

AXXA and The-Kid like this.
  13. Help!I'maRock!

Help!I'maRock! Member

It depends on the series and when it was made.

14. The-Kid

Sort of like a Pizza at Little Ceasars.

The Pizza isnt cut exactly in triangles sometimes or the toppings arent as evenly spread out as they should be or its thicker in certain areas than others etc etc. But you eat the sucker and it taste good either way......

Put some tapatio on the sucker (stack it with other pedals) and your set for the money. If it sounds good Id just be blessed.

Kind of shoddy and they should work on that but it may have been just that one but for the price wouldnt be surprised if more were like that than less but overall a kind of minute detail. If it functions well and works as supposed to, sounds good everywhere else again for the price hard to beat.

15. caspersvapors

caspersvapors Supporting Member

thats more of an EHX thing than a China thing

16. The-Kid

OP if your really worried about build and all that id def consider looking at EQD, Chicago Stomp Works or Vick Audio in that case as said before

All great options.

Also Way Huge makes a pretty dope Big Muff type the Swollen Pickle and one or two more.

Other dudes have found the EHX stuff not to their standard and thats usually where they go to satisfy their needs.

17. Johnny Moondog

Johnny Moondog Member

Yep

"assembled in USA, from globally sourced parts "

So...if you find an issue with the assembly of those parts,
    that's a USA side of things error.

Lots of pedals are " designed in USA, made in China ",
    or "Assembled in USA" from Made in China parts.

DOD / Digitech , Visual Sound / Truetone, MXR, EHX ...

The-Kid likes this.
  18. woolyh

woolyh Member

It's a bit of a mystery really because EHX won't explicitly say where they're made but the Big Box reissues of the DMM for example had "Made in USA" on the case but on the circuit board it says "Made in Taiwan"

[​IMG]

Most if not all the pedals had the "Made in USA" mark but at some point they were revised to "www.EHX.com", "New York City, USA" or a blank space and now none of them say "Made in USA".

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Kit Rae has a great site with an extensive history of Big Muff pedals which probably has more info.
    http://www.kitrae.net/music/music_big_muff.html

Not that any of this is that important, they make great pedals at great prices even if the QC leaves a little to be desired sometimes ;p

The-Kid likes this.
  19. Well Done

Well Done Member

Why?

20. The-Kid

Yeah in this sense they should bring their game up on the build side as many of these products are excellent.

Even many MIA products(even ones I love and enjoy) unless they are personally mining metal ores or minerals I doubt many things are 100% sourced wherever they claim to be manufactured. Its something that just cant be overcomed in many cases. But there are rules dictating % of materials from origin and manufacturing done to determine make of country of origin.

Last edited: May 7, 2020