1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

EH Memory Man Deluxe - noise issues?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Dmatrix, Feb 17, 2009.

1. Dmatrix

Dmatrix Member

Hey guys,

I recently bought a Deluxe Memory Man delay pedal and at reasonable settings it sounds awesome. But when I turn up the delay and blend to about ~400 ms of delay and anything past 60% blend, I start to hear some hissing on the echoes. No noise on the original dry signal, but when the echoes come in I can hear it.

When I crank the delay to the max (550ms) and turn the blend all the way up such that I'm only hearing echoes, the noise is quite apparent.

Does anyone else have this issue with their Memory man or analog delay pedal?

2. rob2001

rob2001 Member

I have a stereo memoryman echo/chorus that makes odd noises in the longer delay settings. I bought it here used and just figured somthing was wrong with it. Maybe there is an issue with all of these?? Maybe someone else that knows will jump in.

3. imguitardan

imguitardan Member

I have a DMM and it does the same thing. Is there a cure?

4. Dmatrix

Dmatrix Member

An update:

I tried plugging it in direct, and that seems to greatly reduce the hiss, I can only barely hear it when the delay and blend are cranked - this is through my m-audio USB interface and with my headphones on.

I have no idea why this could be, perhaps something to do with difference in load impedance between my amp and USB interface?

5. Bongo Jonny

Bongo Jonny Member

The DMM is by no means a quiet pedal, I have noticed when playing on my own that each repeat is accompanied by a hiss and background noise. During practise and gigs the noise level means I don't notice anymore.
    I like my DMM so much I forgive any noise it might make as long as I can still hear the actual guitar sounds.

6. drolling

drolling Member

Yup - the longer those bucket-brigade chip have to work, the more white noise you're gonna hear.

Still one of my all-time favorite analog delays, tho' I've heard quieter. Memory Lane, for example.

I found the DMM performed much more efficiently in the FX loop of a buddy's LoneStar, but I have to plug straight into my funky ole Fenders..

7. gatordoc

gatordoc Member

Not an issue playing live because of all the other background noise but at home it can be a pain because I find myself actually listening for it, which only makes it worse! Not sure what chip the Carbon Copy delay has in it but it's dead quiet.

8. rob2001

rob2001 Member

My stereo memory man gets a squelching high pitched sound when I turn up the delay time. So I think somthing is wrong with mine and it's not just a normal noise I can deal with. Personally, while I like the sound of the unit itself, the delay time is just too short for me. I'll probably go back to a digital.

9. Isaiah4Autumn

Isaiah4Autumn Member

sounds like sand right? that's perfectly normal...don't wory about it :AOK

10. Companyman

Companyman Member

I actually kind of like the BBD noise on the DMM , it sounds like the amp is breathing out those wonderful vibrato drenched delays !!! YUMMY !