EH Metal Muff vs Boss MT-2 vs Line 6 Uber metal

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by semi-hollowbody, May 30, 2008.

Which pedal for metal

1. EH MEtal Muff

2. Boss MT-2

3. Line 6 Uber Meral

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. semi-hollowbody

semi-hollowbody Member

title says it all...for metal what pedal is the one...and if you have owned all these how do they compare??

2. Birddog

Birddog Member

I can't speak for the Line 6 -- never had one.

That said, I like most EH products, but the Metal Muff was too noisy at gig volumes for me. Had a nice metal tone, but was murder between songs without being switched off.

I now have the MT-2. It's pretty good, but not exactly silent either, which I guess you're going to get with a metal pedal. It has a nice rich tone that is infinitely tweakable with the bass/treble/distortion knobs. I can pull off a nice VH sound with everything set around noon. Turn the distortion past noon and you're into metal country with good Mettallica-ish (and more modern) tones.

3. semi-hollowbody

semi-hollowbody Member

yeah I love my mt-2, the line 6 is ok, am considering purchasing a metla muff

4. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

The line 6 sounds great, but it has absolutely no feel

The MT-2 can sound somewhat useable when set correctly (i.e. don't overdo it). Modded it can sound glorious. I highly recommend the Monte Allums Sustainia one.

No clue with the Metal Muff, but I've heard good things about it

5. nibus

nibus Supporting Member

Any metal pedal is going to give you lots of noise. just grab an MXR smart gate and put it and your "metal" pedal in a true bypass loop.

6. ben_allison

ben_allison Member

i hardily disagree with nibus.

the Metal Muff's noise floor is unreal. i did a double take. it's even lower than some non-metal pedals. absolutely insane. the lower noise floor greatly contributes to it's clarity.

the metalzone is very processed and gets lost in a mix. the mods help only slightly.

the uber metal is even more processed sounding and gets even more lost in a mix. by yourself in your bedroom, it's probably ok.

the metal muff is a serious pedal. not as "brootal" as the metal zone, but the metalzone lacks so many things tonally, it's not really usable in a professional capacity without mods or serious tweaking. i think the muff is as brootal as a pedal gain be and not sound like total ballz. the mid control is VERY responsive. the pedal is not overly fizzy. the top boost feature ads great articulation. it's a serious pedal, AND not just for medal. it's a great modern rock box.

one thing that might really be worth waiting for is the emma pisdiYAUwot. from the video on the site, you can hear amazing agressiveness in the mids, punishing low end, and not a hint of "bees in a can." it sounds thick and mean. i can't wait to actually try one.

for now, it's the muff.

7. semi-hollowbody

semi-hollowbody Member

thanks for the tips guys...you certainly make this pedal more alluring...
    Im calling my GC guy and seeing what kinda deal he can get me...I just got a big muff, now I want a metal muff...im muff crazy

8. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

most guys are:moon

9. IAE

IAE Member

i like the MM,it sounds cool. very melvins like.

10. semi-hollowbody

semi-hollowbody Member

I came home with the metal muff last night...(got the big muff thursday night)

forst off the MM right next to my little big muff looks sweet...my pedal board definitely looks more interesting...

and the metal muff is AWESOME...I cant believe I waited so long...every time a "what metal pedal should I get" thread starts there are many many metal muff suggestions...my MM kicked my line 6 uber metal off the board (its on my playing out board now, which is getting bigger)

as far as the mt-2 and MM comparison, the MM is better (yes Im still in honeymoon phase) but there are many different settings and tones on the mm, the MT-2 you gotta find the one sweet spot, set it and leave it...

I will be keeping the mt-2 for the really obscene high gain stuff though...

I love my new muff(s)

11. ungarn

ungarn Member

Get the Nano Metal Muff...no contest compared to those other two pedals...and only like $45 used...

12. eleanor296

eleanor296 Member

+1 on the metal muff. Been using one with a Fender HotRod DeVille for years.... doing metal gigs!! and it worked just fine. I love it. Hate to get rid of it now though, cause I finally got an Egnater... and don't use it anymore *cries*

13. joachiml

joachiml Member

The Metal Muff gets my approval, too. Noisy but excellent.

14. brewtality

brewtality Member

Metal Muff for me too. I used to own all three pedals.

Uber Metal. - great sounding pedal when you're playing alone. Once you play with a band, or even with another guitar player, you get lost in the mix. There's no punch in the notes, and there's not enough presence to cut through. Noise gate's excellent though

MT-2 - everyone knows how this pedal sounds - nasal. What I don't like about the MT-2 is no matter what guitar or amp I use, it all sounds the same. But if you like that MT-2 sound, you'll do fine. It cuts through the band mix easily, sometimes on the verge of cutting too much and sounding like bees.

EHX Metal Muff - best sounding of the three. It can get nasally, depending on the guitar-amp setup. Here's what's great about this pedal, it's the most organic sounding metal pedal I have tried. The EQ knobs are a bit weird, slight turns of the knob drastically alters the sound. You really have to fine tune to get your sound. The top boost function's great too for solo boosts but keep it at 9-10:00 or else it's ear piercingly bright.