EH NANOs ~ a Muff a Stone and a Clone

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Don Rusk, Oct 10, 2006.

1. Don Rusk

Don Rusk Biggus Bearfootus Vendor

Weeeelllll I got the Clone,Stone and Muff Nanos.....

I got them from Musictoyz in three days, which is pretty good considering one of those days was a Mail Holiday and another was a Sunday [​IMG]

The Stone is a really nice Phaser and the color switch is cool and goes from a nice normal phase to a real quacky 'sounds more like a talk box imitating a phaser' thing and very quiet....

The Muff overdrive is a lite/medium distortion OD that sounds just like a COT50 (NOT [​IMG])- not the flamethrower fuzz most of us think of when we toss around the word Muff fuzz... its ok for some dirt into cookin amp - but not really even a distortion level drive....

the Clone sounds good but is a little noisy and it still has a bass rolloff/volume drop (WHY?!?)- I popped the back off this one and its actually well constructed, and theres two trims (bias and mix I guess) and the 3207 chip IS socketed, so I put a 3208A in there to see and it cut some of the noise but not totally and it did change the character of it to be a bit more 'vibratone cab' sounding , but still that volume drop.......

so for me with my Tele/Princeton rig ~

The Stone is a well done Keeper

the Muff is a well painted box that might be fun for modders...

and the Clone has potential for modding - if someone could get the on/off levels balanced and lessen the bass loss and hiss it could be a tasty treat.....

But these seem to be well constructed (especially for the price!!!) and looks like EH did thier homework on the booteek market look [​IMG]

2. Frosted Glass

Frosted Glass Member

I suppose that's all you can expect for a $50 Chorus. Cheers, I won't bother picking one up now.

3. gitpicker

gitpicker Silver Supporting Member

I was curious if the Small Stone is TB?

4. Don Rusk

yeah I was hopin too...... until they fix the volume and bass drops on the Clone its useless to me,,, I do like the swirly roll on its cycle tho, potential but no cigar yet.....

the Stone is fine out of the box

the paperwork says the Muff overdrive is a clone of the old Muff Fuzz, it might have some use as a lighter grinder, but why even call it a 'Muff' - someone looking for light grind wouldnt buy a muff, and someone buying a Muff would be looking for firehose of Fuzz, not this....

5. Don Rusk

the paperwork SAYS it is.....

6. Stanley

Stanley Supporting Member

The small stone is fantastic, just like my original if my memory serves correct without the flaws of volume drop and no true bypass

7. amz-fx

amz-fx Supporting Member

In case anyone is interested... I have the Nano LPB and it is not what I would call true-bypass. Two ferrite beads and two capacitors are left in the signal path even when bypassed...

regards, Jack

8. Don Rusk

right --- why would they fix the volume drop on the Stone and not the Clone ???

9. Don Rusk

Hi Jack !...... so the beads are for RF reduction and the caps to stop popping , is that right ????

What effect would they have in 'bypass' ? treble loss or ~~??

thanks

10. analogmike

analogmike Gold Supporting Member

I got the nano stone, and if you compare it to the normal small stone there is quite a difference. It still has some volume drop, but not too bad. But the tone is quite a bit thinner than the normal small stone. It's worse in COLOR mode, gets pretty tinny sounding. But it's "ok" and if you don't AB them you would probably think it was fine. Certainly worth the price. The bypass sounds fine on them.

have fun!

11. gitpicker

Analogman wrote:
    So when can we expect an Analogman mod to the nano Small Stone?? :D

12. analogmike

man those are tough, my eyes are too old to see those tiny parts!

here is the little big muff, we are trying some mods on those, even that one is tough...

[​IMG]

13. brent

brent Member

What do the trims do?

14. analogmike

The little big muff trim pots are for our testing, trying to dial in the best tone control range and clearest tone. The old triangle big muff let more of your actual guitar sound through, we are going for that tone on our triangle mod. Not quite there yet...

15. yeahyeahyeah

yeahyeahyeah Supporting Member

eww...all the big companies are going into SMT. surface mounted components.

i was actualy looking forward to the nano's but was worried it would come to that.

i'm sure it affects tone to degree...but what bothers me the most is that you can't mod or change any of the surface mounted things without special (expensive) equipment.

16. amz-fx

amz-fx Supporting Member

Well, it's 200pF so I suspect that it could cause a resonant peak and some treble loss when bypassed... haven't measured it though. It looks like it might be an error in board layout.... there are others as well.

regards, Jack

17. gitpicker

Just got my new nano Small Stone and A/B'd it with my beloved mid-70's Small Stone. Here are the results:
    > The nano sounds just like a Small Stone - it's amazing!!! :dude

well, not exactly the same...

> The nano is more pristine sounding, while the vintage SS is thicker, and less hi-fi sounding. These differences are fairly subtle. Although the basic character of the effect is essentially identical, the vintage SS is definitely more "organic" sounding to my ears.

> The nano has a touch more high-end to it, while the 70's SS is less sharp in the upper frequencies, and has a little more low end content.

> The bypass on the nano is slightly more transparent than the 70's version.

> Volume drop is not an issue, nor is extraneous noise and hiss...

Bottom line - the nano is a great little phaser for a little bit of money (around $80 shipped). If forced to decide which to record with I think I would stick with my old one for its thickier, more organic tone, but since I own both, I don't have to make that choice! The nano is definitely more pedalboard friendly with its smaller size, LED, better bypass, and Boss-style DC jack. I really don't think the differences in tone will be that apparent in a live situation, but I will have to check that out this weekend!