EH POG, Like it? Hate it?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by jdsapp1, May 6, 2008.

1. jdsapp1

jdsapp1 Member

Hey everyone, really looking at getting a POG. I've never actually played one though. I would like to know any opinions that you have. I'm also wondering what a good price for one on the used market is. Thanks!!

2. TweedBassman

TweedBassman Member

i had the big version and loved it, stupidly sold it and now i'm looking for another. it's a little digital/harsh sounding sometimes, but use the low pass filter just right and it's amazing. it can do 12 string and low octave bass sounds, but where it really shines is organ tones.

3. yesteryear

yesteryear Member

It shines in all accounts. Subtle use makes it a leave on all the time. Dial in some octave up with the low pass filter barely letting any high end through and it makes yer overdriven electrics sing. Well worth the money and tons of fun.

4. amoodymule

amoodymule Member

I use the micro POG, for horn lines like in 25 or 6 to 4, Vehicle, 3 pc with a singer, so it fattens up the lines mentioned, I haven't experimented with too much, it gets some cool sounding stuff and on bass it is very cool. The POG is too large for my usage, if I was just recording, it looks like something to mess around with, the clips are cool.

www.myspace.com/souprocks

5. jdsapp1

jdsapp1 Member

Thanks, I've been going back and forth for about 2 weeks now. i finally sold enough stuff to get one, but you know, when it comes down to dropping that much $$ on a pedal that's not even really necessary, it's hard to do. I think i'll try out the micro pog and then get something else with the rest of the cash. I don't know, my mind's not made up yet...:bkw

6. Design Guy

Design Guy Member

I love my POG, simply the most fun pedal I've ever owned. It tracks notes amazingly well, even in chords which blows my mind. For a great time throw a tremolo after it for the full on ball-park organ sound and freak out your neighbors! ;)

7. Birddog

Birddog Member

I'm about 3 weeks into owning my POG and I'm really happy with it. I haven't gigged with it, but I got it mainly for generating organ tones when our keyboardist doesn't show (quite often during the summer months) and it's been great for that. It's also good for bass-simulation and for all around messing around with different tones. Only just now am I experimenting with adding just a very subtle touch of octave to my leads. It does track perfectly on chords, too. I will be permanently velcroing it to the pedalboard very soon, I'm sure.

8. decay-o-caster

decay-o-caster Member

I'm a fan. You're right, it's not a 'need-to-have', but it's a huge amount of surprisingly useful fun.

9. shaneygoo

shaneygoo Member

i've almost bought a micro several times but picked other pedals, i'm not convinced yet that i'll use pitch shifting very often

for the price of a full size i think i'd spend the extra for a hog or tc nova system which look like a lot more bang for the buck

saw digitech will be making a harmonizer soon, and boss has the oc3 which is polyphonic but i'm not sure it does octave up and down, anyone tried those?

10. teleking36

teleking36 Member

I'll be getting my first POG via UPS tomorrow!!! Got it for a seemingly good price ($227 on ebay) and it's in new condition with the box, power supply, and paperwork. I can't wait to mess around with it. After hearing what John Mayer did with it on the "In Repair" track off of Continuum, I couldn't pass up the opportunity to get a pedal that simulates an organ sound. I also want it to use in conjunction with my AM Sunlion to get some octavian-type tones. Peter Stroud makes such a great video demo of the pedal on youtube as well:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsjIJ_BIsbI

this was also instrumental in me deciding to purchase one. i can't wait!