EH Polychorus tones is a smaller box?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by hbentley, Jun 19, 2008.

1. hbentley

hbentley Member

Do you guys know of a pedal that can get some of the more whacky polychorus tones (including oscillation) in a smaller box that runs on 9v? It would absolutely make my day if so :)

2. hbentley

hbentley Member

3. gold_soundz

gold_soundz Member

To be honest I've not heard of any pedal that does anything like the polychorus. Its just one of those unique pedals EH made during their mad design era. Sorry not to help much bar a bump...

4. re-animator

re-animator Senior Member

i love my polychorus.... but the nature of my rig is pretty insane. I run basically two different chains in my pedalboard - a clean and a dirty - and my poly is in my clean chain, but I recently tried it after my dirt pedals and I almost pissed my pants it sounded so good (i love joy division!). Unfortunately I have no space on my board for two polychoruses so i need a small box 9v solution as well.

What I think I'll end up with is the new EHX stereo electric mistress. Its another chorus/flange. its digital but sounds pretty good from what i've heard of it. Not exactly like a polychorus - i'm unsure if it does oscillation - but there should be some crazy/useful sounds in there.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/prod...eo-Electric-Mistress-Flanger-Pedal?sku=150437

if you just need one though, I would strongly just recommend getting a poly. IMO, its one of the very few pedals that is in a class by itself in terms of sound (along with ampeg scrambler, big muff, dmm, etc.) Nothing is really like it because it functions more like a rack chorus rather than a stomp box because it has a delay setting. Of course chorus itself is really a short time delay with cross-modulation. Not only does the poly give you unlimited control of your chorus/flange sounds, it has a bunch of sounds that no other stomp can replicate.

I was kind of apprehensive when I was first thinking about a polychorus because they're so big, noisy, need special power, and are expensive. But I look at it this way. For all the pedalboard space it takes up you really have 4 sweet pedals: chorus, flange, short delay, and ring mod.

5. hbentley

hbentley Member

yeah, that's what i was afraid of. can the fulltone choralflange get close?

6. hbentley

hbentley Member

thanks!! i'll check into the stereo electric mistress, but i may just need to take the plunge on the polychorus. my board is full as is, but i might be able to cram it on there.

7. Dandy13

Dandy13 Member

it may sound strange but my pds 20/20 and polychorus behave in a very similiar manner. tonally, one is analog and the other is digital, but i find myself swapping one for the other on my board fairly often.

8. hbentley

hbentley Member

9. Lolaviola

Lolaviola Supporting Member

The Clone Theory??? for Ch/Vibrato

Are you SURE the Stereo Electric Mistress is digital?

10. todd richman

todd richman Senior Member

I don't think the EH stuff that replicates the older pedals, ie. Electric Mistress are digital? That would defeat the purpose of those pedals being reissued wouldn't it?

11. Medication

Medication Member

colin @ experimentalists anonymous does some killer small clone mods.
    [​IMG]

Sounds pretty close to my poly chorus (sans the delay).

Also, you might want to consider contacting the Death By Audio people. They've done custom stuff for me and they're good dudes.

12. dsl

dsl Member

The Stereo Electric Mistress is Digital...

...but I like it :banana

13. hbentley

hbentley Member

bump for more thoughts

14. teddy boy

teddy boy Member

I just moved on to my third polychorus. I can't move on from this box and keep on getting a new one. I love it! I never use it on my board but in the studio I run all kinds of stuff through it. Analog synths sound massive through this. You can make a 2 oscillator polysynth sound like a Memory moog! on guitars I love to set it at a relatively slow deep pitch shifting chorus for some eerie open chords... Fantastic!