EH Small Stone vs. Boss Phase Shifter

mims2

For those of you who have used both, which one sounds and works better? Also, if you can suggest some other affordable alternatives that would be great!

achmood21

i ended up getting the boss ps-3 over the small stone. 1) i liked the sound much better and 2) it can do a whole lot more than the small stone. 4) it has a "step" function that puts nice chunky nuggetts into the tone. very cool although it can certainly be overdone. 5) i got my boss ps3 used for $70.

demoboi

IMHO the EHX small stone is based on a vintage wah, more transparent. While boss phasers, like what i'm using (ph2MIJ), is somewhat modern sounding. The later tends to color your sound in a good way.The phasing effect is very strong and very in your face. All depends on your taiste and how you would use it.

ben_allison

The PS-3 is killer. Every mode is great, it has tap, and the step setting is amazing.

Tap + step setting = amazing possibilities live!

theroan

I found the Boss to be too sterile. The tap option though cool is practically unusable in a live situation. The EH is very transparent, organic and smooth. It doesn't scream "I AM A PHASER!"

ben_allison

I found the Boss to be too sterile. The tap option though cool is practically unusable in a live situation. The EH is very transparent, organic and smooth. It doesn't scream "I AM A PHASER!"
The PH-3 has some vintage modes that sound a lot like old Phase 90's. In the modern modes, I wouldn't say it's "sterile." If it sounds sterile, that's probably a rig issue. I found it just took my signal, and phase shifted it in as non-intrusively as something like a phase could!

The tap worked... reasonably well. It takes a non-latching foot-switch like the DD-5, and I'd only really use it for the step setting; live, it worked well enough.

I agree, though, that the Small Stone has a more organic tone. I believe the new ones (Nano) are true bypass (which my or may not matter).

elkym

I like the EH small stone-- I have a modded one that's fantastic. (If I can get it to work again-- I hurt it when I was modding it-- crossing my fingers here)

I've tried the Boss pedal, but it didn't stand out to me. cool, but not enough mojo... whatever that is.

Uma Floresta

Small Stone. It's the only phaser I can stand. On the other hand, the Boss is one of the worst sounding phasers out there, IMO.

Windup 43

Silver Supporting Member
I've owned both and like both. And fwiw, Mark Knopfler and Robert Smith (and a few others) both had the PH-2 on their boards back in the day, so can't be all that bad right :dunno

CaptRonJon

If you want to get that Gilmourish sound, Small Stone... hands down. It is the best phaser that I have used. I used to work at Guitar Center and I have played on both the BOSS and the Small Stone and I ended up with the Small Stone on my board. It has an incredible sound. It's like buttah baby... It has a little switch as well that is called the color switch and it takes what you thought was just a phaser and puts it into the ballpark of, let's say, Space Odyssey 3000... and it has true bypass. This pedal with be truer to your guitar's tone than the BOSS will. Small Stone all the way!

TheLemon

small stone for sure. im selling one but don't buy it cause that would be spam :AOK

Last edited:

Jackaroe

I always loved the Smallstone but it had it's shortcomings, then I got one with the Analogman mods and it is fantastic; no volume drop, true bypass, color switch tweekable. Perfect.
I have the Boss PH2 and it is brittle and very processed sounding, doesn't interact with your playing.
I also have an old Mutron Phasor II and it is excellent but has not replaced the S S.

shngn7

I really like the Stone Stone. I wish it had a volume knob though. The PS-3 never did anything for me. I don't like phasers but had to have the Small Stone after first plugging into one my friend has.

Axe-maniac

I always loved the Smallstone but it had it's shortcomings, then I got one with the Analogman mods and it is fantastic; no volume drop, true bypass, color switch tweekable. Perfect.
:AOK

The only thing better than the Small Stone is the Analogman modded Small Stone. It booted my Retro-Sonic Phaser out the door.

Trending Topics