EHX Bass 9 - Bass Machine demo - For wannabe bassists who can't handle the big strings?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by nasonm, Aug 8, 2019.

1. nasonm

nasonm Supporting Member

All kidding aside, it's interesting to see EHX take the 9 series outside of the keys realm.

New from the EHX 9 series. A bass emulator that covers everything from twangy baritone to Taurus footpedals....and a fretless standup emulator (that doesn't sound great to my ears).

mbenigni, Dr Bonkers and monty like this.
  2. whoismarykelly

whoismarykelly Oh look! This is a thing I can change!

I see EHX is trying to win me back from TC. I've been running a split rig and playing both bass and baritone in my bands for about 6 years now. I started with a Micro Pog and then ended up with a Pitch Fork before going to a TC Sub 'n' Up because the TonePrint editor allowed for a massive amount of tweaking of EQ on the front and back end of the pitch shift algorithm. Somehow I don't think this will actually be better than my custom Tone Print but the option for having Taurus tones on the board without my Taurus rig is pretty appealing.

3. Baskervils

Baskervils Member

I love the 9 pedals. Although perfect emulations of instruments is often what folks are hoping for, I find that the real beauty of the 9 series is finding new tones, especially when using modulation.

FYI, if the 9 pedals are not enough... Midi Guitar 2 is awesome. You can couple that with guitar / bass and any software / midi instrument. That allows you to turn ANYTHING into a 9 pedal.

mbenigni and Spooky Action like this.
  4. lostpoet2

lostpoet2 Supporting Member

I would really like to hear a demo with a bass. The nano POG and micro POG are great for sub-octave effects, but I wonder if this could replicate those pedals with additional functionality.

Dr Bonkers and nasonm like this.
  5. nasonm

nasonm Supporting Member

That's what a friend of mine said this morning. He loves the Taurus sound.

6. thomas4th

thomas4th Member

The Pedals and Effects demo should be a hoot. Juan often talks about wanting to keep bassists current in the world of synths and samplers, so I’m expecting Nick to tease him about it a little. I imagine they’ll get some interesting sounds out of it too.

AStrangeDay likes this.
  7. ChipOnly

ChipOnly Supporting Member

8. monty

monty Member

Interesting, but I dont mind playing a real bass. Hope this means there are more 9 series pedals in the works!

Vhailor likes this.
  9. RMosack

RMosack Supporting Member

Looks pretty cool.

10. Vhailor

Vhailor Supporting Member

Sez YOU, feller.

*I* say "Yes".

; )

ChipOnly, coltonius and monty like this.
  11. dirtytony

dirtytony Member

moog taurus? damn, now I need one...

12. baseggio

baseggio Member

Hmmm, between the bass VI and the split bass thing, this could be really handy. I wish the Split Bass demo wasn't so coy though. Just strum a full chord and let me hear how it sounds!

Gonkboy likes this.
  13. NHBluesMan

NHBluesMan Member

I wouldn’t be shocked to see one of these based around other instruments in the guitar family (banjo, nylon string, acoustic simulation, maybe something like a resonator or dobro?)

Silver Hand, russintexas and monty like this.
  14. hippietim

hippietim Member

Not falling for the EHX 9 stuff anymore. They keep milking folks with these things at $220 a piece.

15. monty

monty Member

That would be cool too, but I'm really hoping for a piano and modern synth one myself.

NHBluesMan likes this.
  16. Mickey Shane

Mickey Shane apolitical Silver Supporting Member

The should add a setting that sounds like a bass.

WillLane, fretless and NHBluesMan like this.
  17. Vhailor

Vhailor Supporting Member

I was originally going to voice my irritation at the fact that EHX seems to think that I'm made out of money, or that it grows on trees, or whatever it is they think, because they're plainly mistaken.

But actually, you don't have to collect them all.

I'd prefer if these were able to swap out algorithms, like the Source Audio One Series Mercury Flanger, Gemini Chorus, and Lunar Phaser, so that you could buy one pedals and load it up with whatever 9-series algorithms you want. And you wouldn't need to load them all: if you could choose any 9 from the series, that's be good. And now that I think about it, even if you had to load them by entire nine-algorithm collections, so that your pedal was only a Mel 9, or a Key 9, or a B9, or whichever you'd choose, that'd be fine too.

Not likely to happen, I think.

18. baseggio

baseggio Member

Yes! Mix and match would be incredible. I only want like 2 of the algorithms on this thing.

19. LSMFT6

LSMFT6 We brake for nobody Supporting Member

I’d gladly settle for a Guitar 9, since this pedal is pretty much unusable for bassists.

NHBluesMan and monty like this.
  20. bean

bean Supporting Member

I've got a couple of 9's that I really love. There are some killer synth sounds in this one but to me it sounds like the new ultra low latency tracking is producing an unnatural attack envelope. I hear it on the initial pick strokes in some of the samples. Does anyone else hear that, too?

Also - obligatory "I'd pay $400 or more for all the 9's in one box with presets".

mbenigni and monty like this.