EHX Bass Muff/Russian Muff Question

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Wesman61, May 5, 2015.

1. Wesman61

Wesman61 Member

I played an EHX Bass muff today as well as a Tone wicker version into a TRRI at GC. I really liked the bass muff. Reminds me of the green Russian muff I had in the 90s. I liked how creamy and smooth it sounded with a strat. I've been in the market for a muff and that type really works for me. Is the bass muff based on a Russian muff and if so which version? I'd like to go boutique and was wondering which models I should look at. SUF makes a few variations. Anyway any help is appreciated.

Last edited: May 6, 2015
  2. RevelBandGuitar

RevelBandGuitar Member

It is generally Russian flavored, but according to Kit Rae it's not identical to any one version. I do agree that it sounds great!

3. Wesman61

Wesman61 Member

I guess it helps to read the company's description lol. Thanks for the reply. Does the nano version sound the same as the larger version?

4. Kev O)))

Kev O))) Member

IIRC, the XO Bass Big Muff is loosely based on the last Black Russian version available.

5. Alchemy Audio

Alchemy Audio Silver Supporting Member

That is my understanding also. It makes sense because those black Russians sound fantastic on bass.

6. RevelBandGuitar

RevelBandGuitar Member

It's close, but not identical. I would say and boutique Russian style muff would fit the bill, but really there's no need to go boutique if you love the Bass Big Muff.

7. Lullabies

Lullabies Member

I used the Bass Big Muff pi for 2 years while buying and trying other boutique Russian muff clones. Still preffered the BBM. I love the dry switch and thought the BBM stacked really well with always on low low gain OD. Only replaced it the other day after 2 years with a BATW Pharaoh

8. Wesman61

Wesman61 Member

Think I might just grab a Nano Bass Muff.