ehx big bottle 6ca7 vs sylvania 6ca7

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by nitro, Mar 10, 2006.

1. nitro

nitro Senior Member

Has anyone compared the electro harmonix big bottle 6ca7 to the sylvania 6ca7. The sylvania are getting very hard to find and are very expensive so im thinking of trying some of the electro harmonix 6ca7 would i be wasteing my time with the electro harmonix.........

2. baron55

baron55 Member

The EH6CA7 is a Large Botttle EL34 with a slightly higher vacuum. It is not a "real" beam forming 6CA7.I tried them for the heck of it and found them very harsh sounding, didn't like them at all. The Groove Tubes re-issue is the only real current production 6CA7 made that I am aware of.

3. UfoPilot

UfoPilot Member

According to their web site you are wrong.
    " Designed to the exacting specifications of the Phillips 6CA7. This classic tetrode returns to life in a big bottle design. The 6CA7EH is built to withstand today's high-gain amps while still retaining the detailed tone and component integrity of the original. A direct replacement, with military reliability, for any EL34."

4. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    Ah, marketing. Gotta love it.

5. rmconner80

rmconner80 Cantankerous Luddite Silver Supporting Member

I tried a pair and I think they are good sounding. But what do I know? I'm sure you'll find opinions all over the map. The only way you'll know is if you try them. they're pretty cheap.

6. pep

pep Member

I tried a quad of the ehx in an old Traynor I had. They really don't sound much different from an ehx el34 imho. The top end seemed kind of harsh when it was loud in all honesty. I ended up much preferring the JJ EL34L. If you want the real 6CA7 sound I would pony up for the Sylvanias. Just my $.02 though.

Josh

7. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

Try a set of JJ KT77's or look for a set of NOS GE 6550's. Just some good alternatives.

I agree with Blue Strat marketing is a wonderful thing when your selling magic fairy dust.

8. Randy

Randy Member

Does anyone know what a quad of Philips 6CA7s are worth?

9. myles111

myles111 Member

Mike ...

Just a hello here.

As a side note, the EH actually has a lower vacuum than their EL-34. This is for somebody that posted above a comment of higher vacuum.

The EH will also not do well at all over 550 plate volts, even 500 is pushing it. The NOS Sylvania holds up at 775 plate volts and higher.

10. ES350

ES350 Member

can't beat the Sylvanias...they are still running in a Traynor I have since they were installed at the factory.

11. slider313

slider313 Silver Supporting Member

It seems they're having a problem with the current JJ KT77. As for 6550's you may want to try a pair of Tung Sol KT88's instead.

12. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

I've got 8 of the Cureent KT77's and they are are fine. The pins are slightly smaller but they work fine.

As far as the Tung Sols go you talking real ones or the new reissues?