EHX Deluxe Big Muff

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by neosoulchild, May 1, 2015.

1. neosoulchild

neosoulchild Member

Anyone have any experience with one of these? I just got one, I'm big into the fuzz but never had a muff.. this thing is pretty awesome in my opinion, definitely glad I picked it up. I was looking to add some muff fuzz, and just recently found out about this. Being that I'm not an experienced muff user, I was hoping that others could share..

2. Kev O)))

Kev O))) Member

Don't know a whole lot about this one but I do remember Kit Rae had s good write up on his site about it.

3. talentless hack

talentless hack Member

The noise gate is a very useful feature. I set it around 9 o'clock to cut out low-level hiss without affecting dynamics noticeably.

If you're a lead player, the attack control is meh, but if you play a lot of chords, it's downright essential. I have ATTACK set at 3 o'clock at all times, and the chords maintain such stunning clarity and detail.

As for tone settings, I have FREQ and MIDS set to max to increase clarity without getting too abrasive. To balance things out, I keep the standard tone control at noon; this has the effect of cutting low mids and boosting high mids/treble without completely killing the bass.

Haven't tried it out yet with an expression pedal, but I've gotten a very dramatic wah effect by manually rotating the mids FREQ control. Very cool.

EDIT: Overall, the tone I get reminds me a bit of a Black Russian Muff or the more recent Bass Big Muff eq crossed with the gaininess of a standard NYC Muff.

Last edited: May 1, 2015
  4. D Rock

D Rock Member

I love this pedal also. I traded mine a while back for a deal that was too good to pass up. Now I surely find myself wanting another. It's super versatile for a muff and the mids control is super nice, can cut as much as you'd like.

For some reason I still find myself wanting a basic audio alter-destiny though I'm sure most people wouldn't be able to tell much difference. Anyone who's played both care to chime in?

5. IRG

IRG Member

The Deluxe Big Muff is great, more tweaking and different tones than you can imagine. Very versatile for a muff. I did find I tweaked too often with it, and it's big for a fuzz, but it's really cool, and very affordable overall.

6. DecoWaves

DecoWaves Member

I had the Deluxe Big Muff when it first came out last summer -- Great Pedal, Very Versatile. If there is one basic reason I no longer have it ... it just took up too much board space. Had EHX re-configured the layout of the knobs, they probably could have reduced the size by at least 1/3.