• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

EHX Deluxe Memory Boy - Anyone doing mods?

teleguido

After having lived with my Deluxe Memory Boy for about month, I really like it for it's versatility and wacky sounds. However, I've come to realize that my Carbon Copy just plain sounds better. The DMB seems to mellow out the attack of the note and makes it more "round" sounding.

Has anyone opened this thing up to look at potential mods? Would it be possible to swap the bucket brigade chips for higher quality ones? Any tweaks to the internal trimpots that would help things a bit? My first thought was that I could try messing with the trimpots, but I got scared that I would mess things up and never be able to get it back to exactly where it was.

Analogman - have you cracked one of these open yet?

mattekelly

Mods? Yes. The particular one's you're asking about? No.

I had an external tap jack added so I can control the DMB, my Shape Shifter and DD-5 from a single Master Tap pedal. Also the tap switch changed out for one of the clickless soft switches. No more tapping noise now!

Be curious to know if any of what you're after is possible so.... bumpage!

Kind of Blued

I did see a photo on here with a DMB with an Analogman sticker on it, but don't know if that means he actually modded it.

RickB

I did see a photo on here with a DMB with an Analogman sticker on it, but don't know if that means he actually modded it.
He responded saying that he just put the sticker on there since he bought the pedal from Analogman and the sticker came in the box. But there were no mods done.

teleguido

I had an external tap jack added so I can control the DMB, my Shape Shifter and DD-5 from a single Master Tap pedal. Also the tap switch changed out for one of the clickless soft switches. No more tapping noise now!
Sweet! Did you do those yourself or send it off somewhere? Good call on swapping the tap switch for a momentary style switch; it's definitely too noisy.

Anyone else? I'd really like to know if the chips can be swapped or if the trims can be tweaked a bit.

Jack DeVille

Trimpots are expensive and physically large when compared to an equivalent resistor(s). However, a resistor's value is static and cannot (hopefully) change, while a trimmer allows minor changes to the resistance value. Trimpots are generally used when a circuit needs to be "trimmed" to achieve the best performance.
BBDs must be properly biased and the clock signal should be balanced in order to achieve the highest performance from the IC. Sometimes, the clock circuit requires calibration to achieve the desired frequency range. These tasks are best performed by a qualified technician with an oscilloscope.
With that said, I don't think you're going to make the circuit sound "better" by adjusting the position of the trimpots, certainly not without a scope and a rough idea of how the circuit works.
Who knows though. YMMV.

teleguido

Thanks Jack... That's kinda what my gut was telling me.

In your experience with BBDs, are they typically able to be swapped out (assuming they are socketed)? I know Analogman mods DMMs and swaps the chips for the most "desired" ones. Even if it's possible to swap them out, I'm sure it would require a lot of tweaking with a scope to get it back to normal.

I'm kinda confused though... If memory serves, I've watch the instruction video from BYOC on assembling their analog delay kit, and I think the guy just tweaked the trims "by ear" according to some general guidelines. I'm sure he did the initial legwork with an oscilloscope, but it just seemed like it wasn't all that hard to do once you had a general idea of where you should set the values. Am I way off base here?

The thing that really irks me about the DMB is the way the preamp effects the dry signal when the pedal's engaged; any way to mod THAT?

teleguido

The thing that really irks me about the DMB is the way the preamp effects the dry signal when the pedal's engaged; any way to mod THAT?
That's exactly my issue too. Feels like my guitar loses all of its "bite", on both the initial (dry) note and all the repeats. I know these things are power hungry... I wonder if anyone has tried running it at 12V or more?

I really should try it at 12v since I use it on a pp2 + but I also have no problems with the preamp either. It sounds rather nice for me.

Jack DeVille

Your best bet is to determine what BBD is currently in the unit then obtain a datasheet for the IC.
Then you can search/compare other BBDs for similar (preferably identical) operating conditions and pinout. Whether there is any improvement in tone is subjective.

You may be able to get close biasing the BBD and balancing the clock by ear, but I assure you, it will not be "right" and observation of the wave on a scope will confirm this. How "right" you need it is also subjective. I've personally made crappy delays sound good simply by properly biasing and balancing the BBD (recovery from a mod/tweak performed somewhere along the pedals life). What a difference 0.5mm makes.

In summary, if the replacement BBD has the same specs, you should be fine. You're not way off base, but you can only get close without a scope. Lame, I know.

Thanks Jack... That's kinda what my gut was telling me.

In your experience with BBDs, are they typically able to be swapped out (assuming they are socketed)? I know Analogman mods DMMs and swaps the chips for the most "desired" ones. Even if it's possible to swap them out, I'm sure it would require a lot of tweaking with a scope to get it back to normal.

I'm kinda confused though... If memory serves, I've watch the instruction video from BYOC on assembling their analog delay kit, and I think the guy just tweaked the trims "by ear" according to some general guidelines. I'm sure he did the initial legwork with an oscilloscope, but it just seemed like it wasn't all that hard to do once you had a general idea of where you should set the values. Am I way off base here?

mattekelly

Sweet! Did you do those yourself or send it off somewhere? Good call on swapping the tap switch for a momentary style switch; it's definitely too noisy.

Anyone else? I'd really like to know if the chips can be swapped or if the trims can be tweaked a bit.
Jack Vaughan (jhv3.com) did the mods. He did a fab job and he also sells master tap pedals that are able to interact with different tap-able pedals (normally open vs. normally closed). I would highly recommend him.

That's exactly my issue too. Feels like my guitar loses all of its "bite", on both the initial (dry) note and all the repeats. I know these things are power hungry... I wonder if anyone has tried running it at 12V or more?
I haven't really noticed this effect with mine but now you guys have got me concerned. I'm going to have to go back and listen real close with mine. Thus far as long as I've gotten the gain/blend set so that my dry signal is the same volume as my bypassed signal it has sounded good to me.

MIM#1

Hi, I tried two different carling 2pole momentary footswitches,the soft touch variety,and with each one the tap tempo function became finicky and at times would stick on one tempo.I'm back using the stock switch now and this thing is growing on me each time I use it. Try and envelope filter in the loop!:roll

Moonibopper

I did two mods to my unit:

1) Added an external jack for a custom made tap tempo pedal
2) Added a switch to allow me to toggle between using the stock tap tempo footswitch to either setting the tempo or scrolling through the tap divisions (since the small button is hard to press with my foot) when the tap tempo is being done with the external unit.

Works awesome.

mickeymayhem

Wow, I'm running a DMB, Shapeshifter and Analogman dd6, but you are way ahead of me with the central brain tap pedal.

I love my DMB. I thought I'd hate the preamp, but I actually kind of like it. It's a little warm and muddy but sounds right with the delay and how I wind up using it. My only compliant is that I'd like to turn down the wet/dry mix with a pedal. Does anybody think that I can do this by running a volume pedal through the effects loop, but without losing too much overall volume when the effect is down?

Van Leeuwen

I bought one today.
Great analog delay.
Would be perfect if it had trails/spillover.

I bought used, without power supply.
I'm using a Dc-brick: doesn't work properly... anyone with same issue?

Top Bottom