EHX DMM vs Mad Professor Deep Blue Delay

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by NewarkWilder, Jul 27, 2008.

1. NewarkWilder

NewarkWilder Member

are these guys really in the same league? it certainly sounds like it from the DBD demos and it'd be awfully nice to get that analog sound out of a box 1/5th the size of the DMM... anyone have experience with both? whats your take?

edit: err, ok, wait, so the DBD is digital... but it sounds analog?

2. zion

zion Supporting Member

For delay alone, the MP rises above the DMM. That organic quality of the delay/decay is hard to beat.
    But if you desire modulation, the DMM is the ticket. The vibrato-side of the DMM has a nice range with lots of out of the ordinary sounds available.

Deep Blue = Killer delay tone, small package

DMM = Awesome modulation, big package

I currently run the DMM for the swirly stuff with a tape echo unit for delay.

3. zygoat

zygoat Supporting Member

^ pretty much hit the nail on the head there.

I've had both and the DBD sounds incredible while taking up a tiny portion of your board. And the modulation on the DMM MUST be experienced!

4. NewarkWilder

NewarkWilder Member

I have the DMM and love it to death so I definitely know what you guys are sayin. I guess I'm looking for an excuse to move down to the smaller size. The DBD sounds amazing but I have a feeling I'll really miss the DMM. plus its moddable... I don't know if I can justify owning both (i have a Timefactor too so we're getting into pretty silly territory here with all 3)

5. gnugear

gnugear Member

The new Skreddy Echo looks killer. Great tones (from the clips) and modulation to boot. I'm looking into getting one.

6. nibus

nibus Supporting Member

anybody compared the Skreddy to the DMM?

7. gnugear

gnugear Member

I'd love to hear that comparison myself

8. Clumsy Fingers

Clumsy Fingers Member

I've played the DBD, and like it very much. However, it's my feeling that the Sunny Day Delay (which has modulation) and the Digilog (which has a very nice feedback feature) are every bit its equal, and then some.

Both are considerably less expensive, as well.

9. aaronblues

aaronblues Supporting Member

i often have both the DBD and DMM on my board. i always think about dumping one or the other for a Boss so i can have longer times/reverse, etc, but in the end i love both pedals.
    The modulation on the DMM is just a lovely sound. I don't know another way to put it. Especially with volume swells, or a slide.
    The DBD's repeats are an incredible simulation of "tape sound". I generally have a much easier time tweaking the DBD into various settings then the DMM. Also, the DMM's repeats are much more even and up front, where the DBD's are a little less pronounced. DMM has some analog noise all across the dial, DBD just in the upper ranges on the time knob.
    Also, you can really control the runaway repeats on the DBD. The DMM's ufo sounds can level cities, volume wise.

Two great pedals. If either one could do 800ms, i'd be in heaven.

cheers (cheers....cheers....cheers.........)