EHX Double Muff Gain

joe2517

Hey guys,

I was just wondering how much gain people would say the EHX Double Muff has on tap. Would you say it's more or less than a Fuzz Face for example? I'd also be interested to hear how compares in this regard to a Rat.

Cheers

Last edited:

olkie

I think a double muff and a Rat would cover similar ground gain-wise. The tone is a little different and the double muff may not like buffers in front of it. Rats can be clean, but the double muff in single mode is still gritty. I love Rats, and the double muff is a nice pedal too.

olkie

I imagine if you compare a double muff to a vintage styled silicon fuzz face (which I do not own, so definitely YMMV), the double muff will have more gain/sustain and the fuzz face will be more dynamic. But depending on the transistors used, I've heard some rather high gain fuzz faces (mostly homemade ones). Higher gain settings on my double muff get a little mushy (and I'd say that about Rats too), so not all the gain on it is useful gain for me. So the right fuzz face might prove more versatile, but again, the double muff is a neat pedal.

LouRossi

I think a double muff and a Rat would cover similar ground gain-wise. The tone is a little different and the double muff may not like buffers in front of it. Rats can be clean, but the double muff in single mode is still gritty. I love Rats, and the double muff is a nice pedal too.

Yes. the double muff should go 1st in your chain as if you have a buffered pedal before it the dm becomes very shrill. another thing folks do is they run the 'muff 2' very high and use the 'muff 1' as the volume control. a wonderful box...

Trending Topics

Top Bottom