• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

EHX Freeze and TC Ditto - Collective Alternative

ArtDecade

Is there anything out there that does both of these type of effects in one unit? I really like the Freeze but there are times when I would like to play against a short loop as well.

corbetta

A montreal assembly count to 5 can do both, though the loop is limited to 8 seconds (mode 3), and the looping interface is more rudimentary than the Ditto (no undo; you can stop the loop by bypassing the pedal). I can get some nice "frozen" sounds with a bit of movement in mode 2 with the randomness of the grain cranked up.

fyler

A montreal assembly count to 5 can do both, though the loop is limited to 8 seconds (mode 3), and the looping interface is more rudimentary than the Ditto (no undo; you can stop the loop by bypassing the pedal). I can get some nice "frozen" sounds with a bit of movement in mode 2 with the randomness of the grain cranked up.
i have a CT5 - while it can do A LOT of cool things, i don't think it particularly excels at a 'freeze' function OR as a straight ahead simple looper. plus...it's cheaper to just buy a ditto & a freeze!

corbetta

^^ I sort of agree (though I use it mainly as a freeze, I like randomness/motion of the sampled bit, especially at double speed); I was just pointing out that technically, and with some creative thinking, it can fulfill both roles.

Seance

The CT5 has some crossover functionality that might get close to combining these two.
But as @corbetta said, the Ditto X2 and X4 allows for more direct access to reverse
or half-speed, while the CT5 has a knob and you can make your audio go faster, slower
or reverse, but the control of it is imprecise and quirky (which people will either find
charming or annoying).

Every pedal has its own methodology and personality. The CT5 has a lot of functionality
on tap. But that means that (on the newest firmware) you need to press this and turn
that at the same time, etc. Which isn't as direct as what the Ditto offers.

The newest update to the CT5 (not available for all versions) adds this functionality:

"Mode 1:
Holding the soft footswitch mutes the write head so the data in the buffer stops changing.
Effectively it will just keep looping what is in the buffer while you hold down the soft footswitch.
When you release the footswitch the mode behaves as it previously did."
http://mtlasm.blogspot.ca/2016/10/minor-ct5-firmware-update-0962-for-rev.html

ArtDecade

Geez. So I am guessing that its not common to have both functions in a looper.... Does the Boomerang have this capability?