EHX freeze vs Superego

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by wengr, May 15, 2015.

1. wengr

wengr Member

Hello. Can the Freeze do anything that the Superego cannot do?
    Are you giving up any aspect of functionality when choosing the SE?
    And also, is it correct to assume that when replicating settings, that they sound the same?

2. afterosmosis

afterosmosis Member

From my understanding, the SE is basically a Freeze with gliss and an effects loop added.

3. GMGM

GMGM Member

It can take up less space on a pedalboard. Does that count?

If you've got the space, get the SuperEgo. Even if you don't use the extra features, it's only a little more money and then you have the options just in case you find a need.

earwax likes this.
  4. snipejd

snipejd Member

I believe the superego artificially generates a synthetic signal when you capture the sound wherein the freeze does not it merely freezes and repeats a sound more like a looper. That's what I understood but I could be wrong. I do have a SE.

5. wengr

wengr Member

Yes, the "synth engine" thing is confusing. I'd like to know if they are indeed different in this regard, can it be turned off on the Superego?
    All I want is for the frozen sound to be as accurate to the input as possible. But I would like the loop, and more adjustable fade time.

6. ERGExplorer

ERGExplorer Member

They sound the same, because they use the same "repeat slice of captured audio" process. Here'a video of a Freeze modded to have an effects loop.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYr2M8YvTXs

I own both. They sound the same in person, unless you're using the settings and functions on the Superego which aren't available on the Freeze.

7. wengr

wengr Member

Thanks, that is very helpful. I also wonder if the footswitch actions for the various modes are the same between the two units.
    All I want to do is play a chord and have it self sustain for a while, but be able to play lead lines over the sustaining chord.

8. wengr

wengr Member

I see it being done in demos, but I wonder if the footswitch dance would be any different between the two units for this application?

9. afterosmosis

afterosmosis Member

The footswitch options should be pretty much the same between the two. I'd lean towards the SuperEgo, personally, because adding some modulation to the "frozen" sound via the effects loop can make it sound MUCH more interesting and less like a sick cat playing bagpipes.

Harry Champion likes this.
  10. wengr

wengr Member

Is there anything that does what the freeze does, and kinda sounds like the guitar thats plugged into it?

11. Thetoygarden

Thetoygarden Member

The Hexe Revolver does some hold and glitch stuff that neither the freeze or super ego can do. I have had the freeze and now have the se. Considering swapping for the revolver.

As far as the op, the answer is no. The ego can do everything the freeze can do. But I will say that the freeze was much simpler and therefor much easier to use on the fly. If you don't have the ego set just how you want. You may not get the result you're looking for.

12. Occam

Occam Member

I have both on my board. I use the Superego to get violin-like tones to the point where I play with an electric violinist and when we do improvised pieces we can tell which one is which. I use the freeze before modulation pedals to drone and use the modulation pedals to give it movement as well as playing over the drone.

13. gibs5000

gibs5000 Member

Nuenaber makes an algo called infinity hold that you can load up on any of their stereo pedals, it has a couple of features over the freeze, but the super ego would still offer moe features than the infinity hold

14. ERGExplorer

ERGExplorer Member

No.

Here's another recent topic from yesterday with much the same question. Nothing new has been released since that time.

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=1576702

15. Thetoygarden

Thetoygarden Member

Why not just run the mod pedal through the fx loop of the ego ?

16. andtrea

andtrea Member

I had the SuperEgo a couple of years ago, and while I liked a lot for the "gliss" possibilities I remember that it was not that simple to get a simple strong frozen note.
    Watching the ProGuitarShop demo my impression seems definitely wrong, but I remember that I thought that the sound decay too soon in every useful setting.

In these days I'm thinking about buying a Freeze, (cheaper and simpler) but ... anyone experienced this "difficulty" with the SE?

17. lhama

lhama Member

As much as I like all things Neunaber, the hold function on a freeze is much smoother.

The big difference to me is size and the loop. If you "just" want to hold for a while and have it early in the chain, then a Freeze will do just fine. If you want evolving pads you can play over, then the SE makes more sense, because of the loop, imo. If you're in doubt, then get the SE, since it can do everything the Freeze can do and much more.