EHX HOG questions

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Phineas, Sep 18, 2008.

1. Phineas

Phineas Member

1- do you guys use drive or fuzz with this? if so where do you put the gain before the hog or after & why?

2- anyone use this in an effects loop?

2. dsl

dsl Member

I use distortion after the HOG (or POG).

Pitch Shifting pedals work better (for me) with the cleanest posssible
    signal.

3. Phineas

Phineas Member

yeah that's what i was thinking too but my pedals w. my new looper/switcher has limitations & forcing me to use to stick it in the fx loop. so i'm wondering what pros/cons their might be.

for the record, i've always used it w. fuzz >hog> amp distortion.

4. MrMunky

MrMunky Silver Supporting Member

The HOG does a remarkably fine job after distortion. In that respect it's not like other pitch shifters. You'll get a more refined tone than you will pre-distortion. Pre-distortion it sounds a lot like a driven classic organ. After distortion it's a lot more synthetic sounding, but it tracks accurately.

5. Phineas

Phineas Member

MrMUnky - it was your clips that sold me onto buying it! you did a fine job playing & showing the immense variety of sounds inherent in the hog. did you use dirt pre or post hog for that?

From what i'm hearing, sounds like the pros are outweighing the cons for me. anyone else digging the hog after distortion? i use fuzz before hog & it tracks really well and dig the sound but i always liked the reverse for distortion.

6. GTRICH

GTRICH Member

I get best results running the HOG before distortion, and for clean work I find I need a boost after it as well. I run it in it's own loop, so the post HOG boost pedal only kicks in when I use the HOG.

7. Phineas

Phineas Member

tks for your comments. i guess i'll have to try it all out and see what fits within my limitations.

anyone else? :)