EHX LPB-1... a great secret?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by kludge, Jun 22, 2008.

1. kludge

kludge The droid you're looking for Silver Supporting Member

I don't see the Electro-Harmonix LPB-1 nano mentioned here much... I picked one up this weekend as a stopgap level-balancer to get my Tele up to the level of the humbucker-equipped Strat. Gigged it last night, and...

That little sucker is MEAN! Maybe it's just honeymoon, but it seems to me almost as big a bargain as the Bad Monkey. It's a boost, but by no means a "transparent" one. It colors the signal quite a bit, and in a way that REALLY works with downstream overdrives. It seems to have a broad EQ lift in the upper midrange, and perhaps a teeny bit of overdrive on its own. And it's true bypass, small, takes standard 9v - all the things needed to play nice on a pedalboard.

Last night was my first gig with a new setup... '68 Dual Showman with just two power tubes into a Weber 12A150, LPB-1, and HAO Rumble Mod were all new to my stage rig. Plus I had my old reliable Keeley Rat and Germ. Best sound I've ever had onstage!

2. rickenbackerkid

rickenbackerkid Member

I think it's great pedal and you describe its tone well.

for $40 too!!!

3. guitarplayaman

guitarplayaman Member

it's sounds killer but the ac power jack went out on me and now it is off the old board....

4. theraygun

theraygun Member

Yeah, I use it in front of a more transparent pedal (Barber LTD Silver, BD-2, etc.) for some extra fatness and grind. Killer tool!

5. bloodlemons

bloodlemons Member

I love the LPB-1 and, you're right, it is a "secret weapon" of sorts. I eventually decided to upgrade to a much more versatile rendition of the same circuit, the Beavis Audio Research Trotsky Drive. The Trotsky includes a gain knob and a bright switch, beyond the LPB-1's single volume knob, which allows for a lot more variety and makes it a kind of Swiss army knife in the dirty boost department. But it's certainly hard to argue with E-H's $40 pricepoint.

http://www.beavisaudio.com/Projects/TrotskyDrive/

Last edited: Jun 22, 2008
  6. nrvana8775

nrvana8775 Member

My drummer had one of these, and it had an awesome mid-boost.

I might get one and just keep it on.

7. kludge

kludge The droid you're looking for Silver Supporting Member

Yeah, mine is now "always on" with the Tele, which seems to like it a lot. Gives it some more attitude, not just volume. I've fooled around with it a bit for extra drive for the Schecter, but didn't try it live.

Big in Japan likes this.
  8. zachman

zachman Senior Member

I Love the original LPB2. I have it on my pedal tray in my rack, and first started using one in 1980 w/ a '75 Marshall Super Lead and it was a magic bullet. I use it now with my Mojave Peacemaker and it is FANTASTIC, very quiet. I can't tell if it's on unless I actually hit a chord. I added an AC power receptacle to it and love it. Mine looks like crap but works GREAT!!!

[​IMG]

9. Trotter

Trotter Supporting Member

I like using it as an overdrive... turn your amp down and crank the LPB up!

Big in Japan likes this.
  10. slacker

slacker Senior Member

I've had one for about a year. They are very good value. I tend to mix and match with mine. I did a gig a few weeks back where I had to travel light. I used the LPB1 instead of a pedalboard. It worked a treat for lead work.

I don't have a fixed board so if I'm using a lot of pedals I use the LPB1 as a buffer (on at unity) at the end of the chain. I also have used it to balance pickups on different guitars (like the op).

I've even used it as a booster on a Squier Precision. I do have some expensive pedals and whilst the LPB1 doesnt sound as good it's nearly there and considering the price...

I really like EH pedals in general. I have sold some but the keepers for me are the LPB1 and the DMM.

11. vulcaniza P

vulcaniza P Member

i sooo need to get another one.

12. donnyrocker

donnyrocker Member

My LPB1 is always on. A very easy $40 investment in tone management.

That said, it has recently been acting up, acting as if there's power fluctuating between surge & brown out. Though I have a battery in it, I usually run it on AC. Others of my clean boosts just haven't quite measured up.

I wonder if the Dano Transparent Boost would be a price point competitor?

13. aberrant

aberrant Member

I've been a huge MXR Micro Amp proponent as long as I've been playing...I describe it the same as you've just done with the LPB1, and at twice the price I might have to take a closer look at the LPB....I think I'd like to see a shoot out video with both of them.

14. dad gad

dad gad Member

I use the lpb-1 at the end of my chain at about 11 o'clock and it adds more girth and clarity to my tone. if i turn it up anymore, it starts to mud up my tone, but i am running it into a dimed 5e3, so it may just be what is needed to give some more midrange to a deluxe reverb type amp turned up louder, but i prefer it as a cleaner boost. i got it for $30 at gc and i dig it. I might get a SHO so i can get a louder boost and maintain clarity, but i aint sweatin it.

15. Kapo_Polenton

Kapo_Polenton Member

Could you guys with the MXR and this one post some clips of this pushing your amp? I hate demos where you just hear it alone in a clean amp..what is the point of that? nobody uses it that way..

16. j_m_s

j_m_s Member

Im loving mine too. one problem., its placed after my crunchbox in the chain.

guit>Lovepedal E>Crunchbox>LPB1

For some reason, it doesnt boost the e when i click both on. only the crunchbox will get boosted. but if i crank the LPB1 further, then the E gets boosted. anyway to "cure" this?

17. dad gad

dad gad Member

18. Coachmoe

Coachmoe Member

Back in the day, we used LPB 1's to "overdrive" our Bassmans, Super Berkeley's and Silvertones. They were great. Eventually they came out with the LPB 2 (floor model ) and I used that with a Marshall 2204 50 watt combo AND NO OTHER DIRT PEDAL! It was a sound to die for.

Alas, I am now too old to play at that kind of volume and I seek more"refined" ways of getting overdrive. However, the LPB 's will ALWAYS hold a place near and dear to my tonal heart.

:RoCkIn

19. eytoklak

eytoklak Member

I'm a newbie guitarist and i'm planning to get a LPB1. My board goes like this.
    Guitar > volume pedal > BD2clone > modded zoom G1 > Gcb 95 > amp

Can you give me suggestions on where to place the LPB1?:)

20. echodeluxe

echodeluxe Member

the lpd-1 is such a great pedal. easy to build too! its so simple!