EHX Mel9 Tape Replay Machine - Mellotron Emulator

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Takk, Mar 14, 2016.

1. RMosack

RMosack Supporting Member

That's pretty clever!

2. NHBluesMan

NHBluesMan Member

:clips

Dennis Rohrbacher and gripweed like this.
  3. Moontrills

Moontrills Member

So, where are ya'll puttin in yer pre-orders? :munch

4. AshMaui

AshMaui Member

sweetwater!

5. duckbunny

duckbunny Member

Me too. Now they're beginning to push the delivery date back due to back-order. Funny, they didn't mention back-order when I purchased it last week, They said it was labeled so on the website, though as of this afternoon it still wasn't. I hope this doesn't become another "eternal back-order verging on vaporware" issue. I like to buy from SW because they've been straight shooters and never played that game with me, so let's see how this plays out. Fingers crossed!

-db

Richards and AshMaui like this.
  6. AshMaui

AshMaui Member

I ordered the Mel9 and the Boss VB-2w, initially saying shipping late march, now saying 05-13-2016

But that could just be the VB-2w

7. FromTheBassMent

FromTheBassMent Member

In my current trio, I play resonator, dobro, electric and baritone electric, acoustic and electric mandolin, tenor banjo and uke. The two ladies I work with play guitar (mostly open tunings), mandolin, banjitar and bass. We play a kind of down-tempo, folkadelic style that's very heavy on intricate vocal harmonies... the instrumental bits are all atmospheric (no more screamin blues-rock leads in my life). I use a lot of modulation pedals, but we still sound like a bunch of stringed instruments.

So, yeah. I need this pedal. WE need this pedal. I will WRITE NEW SONGS just to feature this pedal. I've played the other 9 series, and was impressed with the tracking and the sounds... I just couldn't think of a way to use them. These are exactly the textures that I could fold into our sound effortlessly and with outstanding results.

Total, unrepentant lust for this one....

:drool

Beto and phazersonstun like this.
  8. baranger1

baranger1 Member

They are being built right now and if all goes well will ship next week. We have more parts on order for a second big batch so all orders will be filled as soon as possible!
    The reaction to this pedal has been great.
    It so wonderful to see people excited to expand the voice of guitar!
    Bill

9. donfrantz

donfrantz Yo! You stealin’ all the cool. Silver Supporting Member

Your music sounds interesting--got a link to any recordings?

10. culiacant87

culiacant87 Member

Question for baranger, (your ehx vids are great btw). I love the sounds this pedal creates, but would it be able to do a simple chorus sound? I need a chorus pedal but it would be great if I could have this as my chorus pedal and have the option of those unique sounds whenever creativity strikes.

11. tobereleased

tobereleased Member

I very much doubt it'd do a simple chorus. All of the modes use some pretty heavy processing on the guitar sound.

If you want a pedal that can do these sorts of sounds, as well as a simple chorus (or other effects) you want a fully editable synth type pedal like the Boss SY300. However, it'd be cheaper to buy the mel9 and a chorus pedal, and it would take less pedalboard space too.

12. culiacant87

culiacant87 Member

Ah I see. I Was just wondering. I appreciate the reply.

13. baranger1

baranger1 Member

culiacant87
    No sorry there is no straight chorus effect in the Mel9.
    I DID put a an adjustable straight tri-chorus for guitar in the Key9 pedal.
    It is preset #6.
    The Mel9 does do a sort of shimmer effect when the effect sound is blended in with the guitar and the attack is set slow.
    This lets the effect bloom after the guitar sound is heard.
    Bill

Matt L and AshMaui like this.
  14. FromTheBassMent

FromTheBassMent Member

Once we have a few more original tunes in the can, we'll definitely be heading into the studio. We've been tapped for a bunch of gigs where we had to expand our repertoire quickly, so we've been mostly deconstructing other people's music (our version of "Hit Me Baby One More Time" really confuses people).

donfrantz likes this.
  15. chrismellotron

chrismellotron Member

I am seriously gasn for this. Loved the melly for 35 years.

16. shawnd2007

shawnd2007 Member

nice

17. zoooombiex

zoooombiex Member

Got mine today. Some clips are below. I've only used it with keys so far (EDIT: guitar comments added at the end), but in terms of first impressions:

1. Some of the simulations are pretty close - cello, strings, and voices. The sax and brass not so much. I have a M4000D and I did a quick comparison to the Mel9. Clip below. i went for the most similar patch I could find on the M4000D, not necessarily my favorite patch. Note in the brass comparison there is a patch that's pretty close to the Mel9, but then at the end I briefly played another patch on the M4000D that is much more natural sounding, just for contrast. And I don't have an "orchestra" patch on the M4000D, so I skipped that.

I divided the instruments between the left and right channels. The M4000D starts first for each instrument:

2. It has some polyphony issues. It's not so much the number of notes, but the complexity of the chord. Anything with a half-step interval is problematic, as is a natural 7th. Sometimes it gurgles and sputters out, particularly with a half-step, and sometimes (particularly with a 7th) it generates a tone an octave lower in addition to the octave up, as though it is confused about the lower note you were already playing. I made a clip showing some of these issues. For most basic chords it doesn't have any issues though.

3. In terms of triggering and tracking, it can be a little touchy. I'm using a rhodes that's decently - but not perfectly - regulated. Volume variations that are fine with the natural sound of the rhodes can sometimes lead to drastically different levels (or no triggering at all) with the Mel9. Also, on lower notes, it takes a fraction of a second to catch the right note - see the beginning of the polyphony clip where there is a slight slur to the individual notes at the bottom.

Tracking clip:

4. It sometimes has a high-pitched clicky-sound. You can hear that a lot in the polyphony clip. It's worse on the complex chords that seem to confuse it, but it also shows up in other places. And it doesn't seem to be clipping, because (a) the output level is at a normal instrument level that doesn't clip my other effects, and (b) it doesn't always happen at the beginning of a sound when it's loudest - sometimes it comes in after a second or so. I need to investigate this further.

Overall, a nice pedal so far within its limitations & design parameters. I don't really use these sounds to try to mimic the actual instruments, but more as an abstract/alternative voice, often manipulated through effects. I think for that type of use, it will be great. (E.g. if you hold quickly cycle through the rotary knob of voices while playing, you get some very interesting results.)

When I get another chance I'll see how it does on guitar.

EDIT: I had a little time to try it on guitar, but not to get any recordings. I think most of the issues noted above are still present on guitar, but not as prominent due to the nature of the instrument.

-If you play chords down low on the neck with a lot of close intervals, it will still gurgle and fizzle. But higher up on the neck it handles them better. You almost have to try to confuse it on guitar, whereas on keys (more simultaneous notes, easier to combine close intervals) you almost have to avoid it.

-tracking is about the same. on very low notes, you can still hear some 'slur' right as it grabs the note. but about the same speed overall as a POG or Ravish, as I suspected. interestingly, if you half-release a note, you can often get it to slur back down a little, like you pushed it flat.

-the high-pitched clicky noise is still there sometimes. not sure what that is.

-i wish the sustain control had more range on the low end. a mellotron has an extremely abrupt cut-off when you release a note, but on the Mel9 even with the sustain all the way down and muting notes as fast as possible, there is still a little decay. I noticed this on the rhodes, but thought maybe the dampers weren't muting the note fast enough, but it's the same on guitar.

-some instruments (i'm thinking of sax in particular) have a window on the neck where they sound pretty similar to the mellotron, and then outside that they get a little funky.

-from a overall playing perspective, i was left with the feeling that the pedal mated better with the guitar, but with a lot of interesting potential on both.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2016
  18. ERGExplorer

ERGExplorer Member

I wish I could like this review more than once. Very thorough and informative!

It's pretty amazing how well this pedal does against a real Mellotron.

Wolfboy1 and Ivo like this.
  19. Moontrills

Moontrills Member

Does the "attack" knob work like the "attack" slider on the POG-2 (to get that auto swell sound) & can you use it with just your dry signal?

20. tochiro

tochiro Member

When is the Mel9 to be in the shops?