EHX Nano Small Stone vs. Mojo Hand Nebula

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by AqueousView11, Oct 11, 2008.

1. AqueousView11

AqueousView11 Member

I am looking for a subtle phaser with a warm, vintage tone. The current Phase 90 I have is a little too thick.

2. b_rad

b_rad Member

I'm a little biased here but if the Phase 90 is too thick for you then the Small Stone probably will be as well. It's even more pronounced than the Phase 90, IMO.

3. AqueousView11

AqueousView11 Member

Even with the color switch down?

4. blood5150

blood5150 Member

Does the nano small stone have less gain than the current phase 90?

I like the effect, I just need it to be a little smoother, less gain....

anyone know?

5. blood5150

blood5150 Member

6. strat68

strat68 Member

I had one of the nano's it was either the clone or stone, I forget now- but the drop when the pedal was engaged was WAY below unity gain rendering the pedal useless for live performance because of the inconsistency in volume levels. You might expect a little drop with modualation, even of only perceived (because of the effect itself). But this was not the case with the nano. I also believe that, though it uses a boss style jack, the polarity was reversed from what was advertised and on the diagram +/- (this was a very early pedal, maybe it is fixed now). But it would not work in a daisy chain situation with other pedals. I ditched it quick.

I own and currently have a Mojo Hand Nebula on my board over a year. It is not apples to apples with either a phase90 or E-H stone. I think it's based on a phase 45 (never owned one) but the "vibe" if you will, of the nebula is much like half the picture of a Uni-Vibe: the chewy phase with less throb. It also tends to be bass heavy, so I almost always play it on my bridge pickup. The chewy phase depth is roughly equivalent to a Fulltone Deja with the intensity at about 11:00. The Nebula is a keeper pedal- good value, has it's own niche, yet can sit in for an absent univibe if need be. And great size/package.

7. charmboy

charmboy Member

I don't have the nano but I have a Small Stone (w/ analogman mod to correct for volume drop). Great sounding phaser but in no way more subtle than a phase 90, even with the color switch down. It doesn't give the gain boost you mention, like some of the phase 90 reissues though. The sweep is much longer and it's way more pronounced. In fact I'm considering a phase 90 (74 custom shop or clone) for more subtle phasing.

The Retrosonic is supposed to be a great script phase 90 clone and it has a depth control which sounds like it might be perfect for you. Also, if you're 1/2 way decent with a soldering iron, the BYOC phaser is a script phase 90 with depth control as well. Heard very good things about this one too.

8. griley

griley Member

I wouldn't go for a small stone for subtle phasing, I find it's more pronounced than a phase 90.
    For a more subtle phase 90 i've heard good things about the BYOC phaser which is the classic phase 90 circuit but with a depth control.

I do love my nano small stone though, it is a great sounding phaser and the nano has a much smaller volume drop than the older version (it's still there but not enough to cause me any problems)

In response to sjhorvath, it's the nano clone that has the positive ground + volume drop issue.

9. Sikor

Sikor Member

If Phase 90 is too thick, than forget about Small Stone. It is even thicker.
    But Nebula OTOH is very much what You're looking for. It like a less pronounced Phase 90. Very nice pedal.

10. golgonooza

golgonooza Member

If the Phase 90 is too thick, have you looked into the Phase 100? Using the preset waveform selector, much more subtlety can be usefully dialed in.

(Correct me if I'm wrong: different engineering than the 90, it's closer to the Small Stone, utilizing vactrols as opposed to JFets).

The Retro-Sonic unit is an excellent suggestion as well.

cheers!

11. ungarn

ungarn Member

Nano Small Stone kicks major arse...but subtle it ain't!

12. gururyan

gururyan Member

The Phase 45 should be of interest to you then. The Nebula is like a Phase 67.5, a good mix between the 90 and 45. I've owned all three as well as the Phase 100. The Nebula is what sits on my board now.

13. goodhonk

goodhonk Member

check out an ibanez ph-7. very cheap and very subtle, with very little tone coloration and no volume drop. you can even boost the volume with it. i prefer the small stone, because it sounds like a small stone, but for a little movement of your sound with no coloration go with the ph-7. the ph-7 sounds really good after fuzz and dirt too.

14. AqueousView11

AqueousView11 Member

I have decided against a subtler phaser, I am going with the Stone.