EHX Pitch Fork or Digitech Drop?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by RockDebris, Feb 22, 2015.

1. RockDebris

RockDebris Member

I bought the Pitch Fork last week. I was sold on the EHX demo where it is mixed 100% wet and he is able to drop the pitch down in half steps. Thought this might help me in situations where the band leader wants to transpose to another key, but the riffs I'm playing rely on open notes.

Turns out that's not a very good reason to buy this pedal. The wet signal has a bit of lag, which I'm ok with really, but the sound changes too much and some chords sound bad. It has a lot of other cool features at this price though.

Looking for experiences between this feature of the Pitch Fork and the Digitech Drop. If you have both, or have compared both directly, was the Drop pedal the winner? If you are using the Drop pedal, are you still waiting for something better to come along?

2. KoskineN

KoskineN Supporting Member

The Drop is really great. It tracks very well with no audible lag. I use it with one of my two bands, where we play in E flat, so I don't have to retune all my guitars. I also use it at home to play downtune stuff...from Motley Crue to Mastodon, this pedal is really useful. The full octave down sounds also very good, and I use it when I loop stuff to jam by myself.

I never tried the Pitch Fork, so I can't do a fair shoutout, but from all the demos I watched, the Drop seems the best option for downtuning.

Dannyz likes this.
  3. papersun

papersun Member

I returned my Pitchfork pretty quick, mine was noisy and had just barely enough lag that it bugged me. I plan on trying a Drop though, it looks like a better bet.

(edit: for drop-tuning, I mean.)

4. RockDebris

RockDebris Member

Cool, thanks. We tune to Eb, so I was also actually interested in tuning up a half step as well. It's not the most critical things, but was one more reason why I tried the Pitch Fork first.

5. RockDebris

RockDebris Member

Yeah, I'm having a tough time deciding if I want to return it or just keep it around for the things that it can do well. Definitely no plans to put it on my board though. If you get around to trying the Drop before I do, let me know how it stacked up to the Pitch Fork. Thanks.

6. Scott57

Scott57 Member

I have both and the PF is on my practice rig. I like it but realize its limitations (lag). Its also fun just to mess with. However, the Drop is the superior choice.

7. FLYING V 83

FLYING V 83 Pedal Trading Guru Silver Supporting Member

I use a Mooer Pitch Box for drop-tuning.
    Bonuses are the harmonies & chorus it does too.
    Tracks as fast as my POG2 and chords sound great.

8. RockDebris

RockDebris Member

Thanks. I'm going to sit tight for a bit, hold onto the Pitch Fork for its other potential uses and probably check out the Drop next.

The Mooer Pitch Box looked promising, but the videos I found didn't convince me it was superior to the Pitch Fork. The best video I found, the guy commented that it's not great if you're doing a lot of chord work. That's one of the other complaints I had about the Pitch Fork. The tone being the overall biggest complaint, but also some chords sound extra bad.