EHX Pitch Fork vs Digitech Ricochet + Drop

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Proco, Apr 20, 2016.

1. Proco

Proco Member

So... I need to be able to drop my guitar tuning a semitone, a full tone and a full tone and a half. Maybe two full tones but not at the moment.

I've read that the drop tuning from the Pitch Fork is not as accurate as in the Digitech pedals, is that true?

Plus, I need to do some Muse-and-RATM-inspired whammy things.

Do you guys think the EHX will do? Plus, will I miss a lot without the "ballistics" from the Digitech pedal?

I know I can use an expression pedal with the EHX but let's forget about it for now, as pedalboard space is an issue.

Thanks!

2. whoismarykelly

whoismarykelly Oh look! This is a thing I can change!

The tone of the EHX is better. I use two of them in a rig that covers fake bass and regular guitar. It also has much more interesting interval options and possibility of two pitches at once.

3. PBGas

PBGas Supporting Member

I've tried both. The tone for pure drop-tuning is much better on the Digitech than the EHX. EHX gives you some other nice tonal options if that is what you are looking for. Both are great pedals regardless.

I'm adding a Ricochet to my board and that pretty much covers everything I need with those two combined.

Tom Von Kramm and Cgkindler like this.
  4. Cgkindler

Cgkindler Member

When it comes to simply dropping the overall tone, the Pitchfork does well, but the drop is LEAGUES better for that......like, a lot.

That said, the Pitchfork has a lot more options, and is more fun!

But if you're looking to drop your guitar's tuning down, and want it to sound as close to normal as possible while playing chords/riffs, the Drop is king of the hill for that.

Good luck! Either way you'll have fun!!

Tom Von Kramm and PBGas like this.
  5. Cgkindler

Cgkindler Member

Beat me to it!! lol

PBGas likes this.
  6. minty901

minty901 Member

pitchfork cant drop by "one and a half" step so for you id say its out of the race for downtuning. the drop is best for downtuning as it doesnt strip away your note's attack as much as the pitchfork does. get a drop for downtuning absolutely, then decide on ricochet vs pitchfork for the other functions youre after.

7. tbrook

tbrook Supporting Member

I had tge Drop for a while and really likes it but sold it to fund some other stuff. Recently got the Pitch Fork and like others said, for just drop tuning it lacks a good bit IMO. The attack of the notes are off and weird and just takes me out of it. But for other harmonic stuff it is cool.

I am currently trying to decide to get the Drop again or go with the Ricochet.

Does the Ricochet handle just straight drop tuning as good as the Drop does? If so that would be the winner since it has additional features

8. xcc

xcc Member

I've had both. Kept the Ricochet, which has way lower latency.

9. la noise

la noise Member

Some of you guys have more discriminating ears
    than I do. ;) (I kid) :)

Either will get the job done. Each has it's own limitations.

I don't hear a massive difference, though. :dunno

Last edited: Jul 30, 2016
    chlorinemist likes this.