1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

EHX Small Stone Phaser Big Box RI vs Nano (again)

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Sun Creature, May 17, 2011.

1. Sun Creature

Sun Creature Member

Trying to get away from my Phase 90 tone and noticed the Small Stone is just what the Doctor ordered. The problem is the conflicting reports. I have heard the big box reissue has a noticable volume drop when engaged. Plus it seems like they are getting harder to find along with ridiculous prices ($189? Seriously?). The Nano has fixed the volume drop issue but sadly you cannot mod it anymore and supposedly has a more Phase 90 character according to a couple of friends.

I am going to try out the Nano later this week but otherwise, which should I be aiming at?

2. goodhonk

goodhonk Member

the nano sounds very close to the bigbox, in the up position with the slow setting it is a little more trebley.

i only noticed a slight drop in volume with my bigbox, unless i used batteries, then it was very noticable.

you should be able to find a bigbox for under $50 still. i saw one on craigslist for $30 yesterday.

3. Boytbpc

Boytbpc Member

I picked up an Analogman modded big box 6 months ago for less than $100. They are out there.

4. Theroyalconsort

Theroyalconsort Member

I've tried the nano and found it lacking slightly.
    It just seemed to lack the shimmer of the real deal.
    Why the £$^£$% did they stop manufacturing it... its one of thier best pedals... once you sort the volume drop.

5. JRBain

JRBain Member

My experience too.

I love mine. I probably overuse it but it's hard not to. ;) the volume drop is there but I manage to live with it. Nothing rolling the guitar volume up a notch can't fix. As above, it was very frustrating when I was running it on batteries, though. At some point I shall have it modded.

Basically, do it. :aok

6. Windup 43

Windup 43 Supporting Member

I've owned six or seven big box versions and found the Nano severely lacking.

7. DigitalHater

DigitalHater Member

I've never messed around with the big box model, but I do have a green Russian Sovtek small stone.

I bought a nano small stone because there is some sort of strange ground hum-swirl thing going on with my Russian pedal, and the small footprint appeals to me. I should just get it modded to true bypass and be done with it.

I do not like the nano, I usually live with the color switch in the down position - the less swirly one, occasionally kick it into super swirl. The nano just lacks...... I don't even know what, just don't like it. It does sound a bit more phase 90ish, I guess. I will say that with the nano, the super swirly mode is more useable to me, but I could almost live without that, I want the sound I've been playing with for almost 2 decades, and the nano just doesn't cut it.

If i didn't have experience with my other small stone, I would probably dig the nano just fine, but in comparison, it lives in my milk crate of unused pedals.

8. musicwack

musicwack Member

9. Sun Creature

Sun Creature Member

Ok, so I found a big box reissue for $60 and a version 3 for $75. Which one is the bigger tone sucker?